Re-release ETA?

CCIP

Not to be that guy who nags, but I was just wondering if there's any ETA on when CMFI will go back up for sale? :)

I've been a CM player for 15 years, but since I wasn't too familiar with Italy as a theater this one sort of passed me by... but I got really interested in the theater since doing some reading about it over the holidays, and eagerly came here to get CMFI, only to discover that, well! 

Anyway, if nothing else, just putting this out as a vote of confidence that you'll have a sale on CMFI and GL as soon as they're back up - I already have the 4.0 upgrade pack, too.

1 hour ago, CCIP said:

...I already have the 4.0 upgrade pack, too.

I believe that the upgrade pack at the moment only brings FI up to v3 (if you already have a copy of FI-GL). When BFC has completed the necessary design changes on FI, a new upgrade will be released or unlocked, however BFC manages it. And the FI then being offered for sale will automatically be upgraded to v4.

Michael

1 hour ago, Michael Emrys said:

I believe that the upgrade pack at the moment only brings FI up to v3 (if you already have a copy of FI-GL). When BFC has completed the necessary design changes on FI, a new upgrade will be released or unlocked, however BFC manages it. And the FI then being offered for sale will automatically be upgraded to v4.

Michael

Oh, I meant I got the $25 4.0 pack for all the CMx2 titles - I have other titles in the series that it applies to, and it does list FI as one of the titles. However BFC manage the upgrades (i.e. whether they have the 4.0 update cumulative, or whether I'd have to also get 3.0 separately), I'll be game! It's the actual FI/GL that I don't have, seeing that they're not currently on sale (and have not been since 4.0 went up for the other titles).

1 hour ago, CCIP said:

Oh, I meant I got the $25 4.0 pack for all the CMx2 titles - I have other titles in the series that it applies to, and it does list FI as one of the titles.

I got that. What I meant is that when I looked at what I had got, it said that to this point in time it only upgrades FI to v3. This for existing copies of FI-GL. I take this to mean that when it is ready, some provision will have to be made to upgrade existing copies to v4. Since as you say you will be buying a new copy of FI-GL, it will come already upgraded to v4, so you should have nothing that you will need to do. It is just we old-timers who will have to go through an extra step.

Michael

5 hours ago, slysniper said:

No, you are not getting the versions correct. yes, we call it V4.0, but in truth, it is only 4.0 for CMBN

For CMFI it will be v3.0

for the other three games, it is V 2.0

I love how confusing it is.

Heh, it's actually v2.00 for CMFI, just to f*** with you.

6 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

I got that. What I meant is that when I looked at what I had got, it said that to this point in time it only upgrades FI to v3. This for existing copies of FI-GL. I take this to mean that when it is ready, some provision will have to be made to upgrade existing copies to v4. Since as you say you will be buying a new copy of FI-GL, it will come already upgraded to v4, so you should have nothing that you will need to do. It is just we old-timers who will have to go through an extra step.

Michael

The Engine 4 bundle does not and will not upgrade CMFI to Engine 3.  When the engine 4 upgrade is ready, it will be available for download, and the bundle key will unlock it.

40 minutes ago, akd said:

The Engine 4 bundle does not and will not upgrade CMFI to Engine 3.  When the engine 4 upgrade is ready, it will be available for download, and the bundle key will unlock it.

Today seems to be my day to be misunderstood. At this point all I know is that my copy of the Big Bundle said about CMFI was that for the present it would upgrade to Engine 3. I am confident that you are correct that when it is ready it will also upgrade to Engine 4. And that is all I have to say on the matter.

Michael

I'm an outsider to the process, but it seems that the need for a little tweaking to infantry behavior came up after the engine 4 releases.  Probably BTS is working on that first, and then they will release CMFI at engine 4 level with these changes rather than without them.

Ahhh, I see, thanks for the explanation! I do remember now buying the 2.0 for CMBN upgrade when it came out together with the CMFI release, I didn't realize that the first CMFI release was numbered 1.0.  They really should standardize the CMx2 version numbering :D It gets confusing enough with the original release CMBN technically being a different engine version than CMSF was.

Anyway, I'll continue to twiddle my thumbs here and wait :) The irony is that I have the full CMFI download available on the file list for my account and can get the actual files on my system - but no way to buy a license key to unlock it at the moment...

3 hours ago, CCIP said:

They really should standardize the CMx2 version numbering...

Totally agree. In fact, methinks, a number of aspects of CM acquisition could be streamlined to the betterment of us all. The process has improved in the last couple of years, but there is room for more improvement yet.

Michael

Edited by Michael Emrys

4 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

The process has improved in the last couple of years, but there is room for more improvement yet.

The version numbering is indeed confusing. But one of the best things with V4 is that now we don't have to pay for a whole new license to play on "the other" OS. So if for some reason you have to run Mac instead of Windows, or vise-versa, just download the installers.

And yeah, I am champing at the bit for the V4 upgrade to CMFI. I didn't really believe that it would be available mid January, but that hasn't stopped me regularly checking the front page!

you have missed nothing since December 2015, that's the last time we got any new information on it, but in case you missed it, BF is (or was?) planning an Italy module taking the fighting in Italy to the end of the war, along with adding neat new things like US mountain infantry, Indian Troops, and i think I recall mention of free french?

Yep, looks like this is about as concrete as it got: 

Which is okay by me, and rumours aside, I'm pretty sure there won't be a sudden module surprise - considering how drastic an action it is to pull a product key from sale for over a month, I think BFC is just busy dealing with the engine 4.0 issues, not just for CMFI but the other titles as well (which apparently only happen to a small number of players, but still). Hopefully it's sorted soon - me, I just want to buy and play the darn thing :)

I guess to an extent maintaining 5 "families" concurrently is tough, when realistically there's only enough manpower to focus on one project at a time. It would be easier to deal with the update issues like this if the entire thing was one program and everything else was just content modules, but I understand why the engine is separated like that - basically to specialize and optimize features in development, so that functions are plugged into each game "family" only when they're needed, and you don't have to worry about changing some of the code for UAVs in CMBS and somehow accidentally breaking Bazookas in CMFI as a result, etc.! Or, more basically, the separate families just help shorten the development cycle for each individual title, which is also kind of a big deal for a small-sized developer... But I guess the support gets tricky when you have to go back and plug the same updates into each individual program.

Anyway, the wait continues!

2 hours ago, Cobetco said:

you have missed nothing since December 2015, that's the last time we got any new information on it, but in case you missed it, BF is (or was?) planning an Italy module taking the fighting in Italy to the end of the war, along with adding neat new things like US mountain infantry, Indian Troops, and i think I recall mention of free french?

Ah, k. Thank you!

56 minutes ago, General Liederkranz said:

I wonder if part of the CMFI update delay is making the unsplittable Italian squads work with the new infantry spacing in v 4.0? Maybe we will finally see the Italians able to split, but with a penalty, like the Russians?

that would be wonderful, or just an Italian revamp in general, they kinda are a hot mess to play, my own pet theory is BF is looking for ways to have the two parts of the "squad" merge when casualties have been heavy enough to allow it.

(by hot mess, i do not mean to say the Italian faction is broken or bugged but rather is a organizational nightmare, mixing up which part B squad belongs who which part A can have serious morale effects)

Edited by Cobetco

2 hours ago, Cobetco said:

...they kinda are a hot mess to play...

Well, to tell the truth, except for some elite or specialized formations, the Italian army was a mess. It was poorly trained, equipped, and led. It's morale was often brittle to the point of non-existant. Again, there were exceptions, but the generality was as I have described. The Italian soldier was not on average stupid. He was capable of sizing up the situation and realizing the Fascism was not worth dying for, which is what was likely to happen if he didn't surrender at the first opportunity. He just wanted to survive the war and get back to his family. Under the circumstances, I'd call that a pretty shrewd assessment.

Michael