Breach teams

Hilts

2 hours ago, Hilts said:

Got a situation where a breach team blows a hole in the side of the building then runs round to the other side to enter via the door......and getting shot to pieces in the process.

This will often happen if there is an elevation mismatch.  If the team is on a different elevation than the inside of the building.  I'm not sure this is what happened in your case but it would be my first guess.  In my Blast TacSOP I first check the wall to see if it looks like the building is sunk into the terrain at all.  If it is you can blast it but the team will probably take a different route for getting inside (like using the closest door).  

When able to select and assign soft factors to my own units I purchase regular engineers because they have a Blast time of 15 seconds.  I give them a 45 second Pause before the Blast.  So they Blast just as the turn ends in WEGO.  Next turn I cancel the move part of the Blast order for the engineers.  I then Slow a team (usually different team to preserve the engineers) through the blasted gap.  If the assault team starts to crawl around to a door I cancel their Slow order (usually enough time on Slow) and try something else.  I know it is a PITA but the best work around I know of.         

Edited by MOS:96B2P

48 minutes ago, c3k said:

Had that once. Too much debris from the breach? ;)

Got a save?

There could be too much debris as I blew the hole through a high wall at the same time. Of course the graphic just shows a great big hole. How do you know if there is too much debris? Yeah, I have a saved game if you want it.

48 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

This will often happen if there is an elevation mismatch.  If the team is on a different elevation than the inside of the building.  I'm not sure this is what happened in your case but it would be my first guess.  In my Blast TacSOP I first check the wall to see if it looks like the building is sunk into the terrain at all.  If it is you can blast it but the team will probably take a different route for getting inside (like using the closest door).  

When able to select and assign soft factors to my own units I purchase regular engineers because they have a Blast time of 15 seconds.  I give them a 45 second Pause before the Blast.  So they Blast just as the turn ends in WEGO.  Next turn I cancel the move part of the Blast order for the engineers.  I then Slow a team (usually different team to preserve the engineers) through the blasted gap.  If the assault team starts to crawl around to a door I cancel their Slow order (usually enough time on Slow) and try something else.  I know it is a PITA but the best work around I know of.         

Thanks, good to know in future. In this battle it's a train station so the terrain is more or less flat.

I have found some odd items occasionally impacting what I thought should happen. 

Examples

A building with a wall adjacent affecting what my breach team actually blew up or creating a constricting item for movement

A flavor item too close to the breach point that created a movement conflict

elevation differences