Who else would buy an animation DLC/Expansion

12 hours ago, Ales Dvorak said:

Does it have to be authentic recording to fit (sound) in the game? I think not.

No, but a lot of them can be a lot better than they are now, e.g,:

• Sounds for CMSF tank cannons
  • Rifle sounds (Garand, Lee-Enfield, K98k, Mosin, etc)
  • Submachine guns
  • .30 cal / 7.62 mm machine gun sounds

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, LukeFF said:

No, but a lot of them can be a lot better than they are now, e.g,:

• Sounds for CMSF tank cannons
  • Rifle sounds (Garand, Lee-Enfield, K98k, Mosin, etc)
  • Submachine guns
  • .30 cal / 7.62 mm machine gun sounds

Agree. If it works with picture than it's ok. But sometimes super recorded sound does not fit in this "cartoonish" picture ( btw, I like CM graphics)... Picture and sound must work together, must have that "mojo". (I worked on sound for movie  maybe ten years; recording, mixing, editing...and you won't believe how drastically you can change picture - your perception with sound and it's timing)

But there is no hard and fast rule. People use what people like....

Just my 2c....

Edited by Ales Dvorak

On 25/1/2017 at 10:42 AM, Ales Dvorak said:

Does it have to be authentic recording to fit (sound) in the game? I think not.

Why not?

There are a lot of shooting ranges in the US where you can try most of the guns used in WW2. Having a guy with a mic, recording the sounds to use in the game, does not seem that difficult.

Besides, in a game that simulates realism in battle, having real and authentic gun-sounds will be a HUGE selling point for most of the potential customers.

1 hour ago, BodyBag said:

Besides, in a game that simulates realism in battle, having real and authentic gun-sounds will be a HUGE selling point for most of the potential customers.

Huge? That's a pretty big assumption. You may care that much about the issue, but I bet if you took a representative sampling of all BFC's customers, you'd get a big shrug. Yeah, they'd like to have it, but what else are they willing to give up to get it? There's the rub. Features do not in the normal run of things come for free. So, would you be willing to give up half a dozen new vehicles or the same number of new scenarios? And if so, how many people do you think would agree with you? Until you can answer those and other questions, I think you are over-selling your desired option.

Michael

1 hour ago, Michael Emrys said:

Huge? That's a pretty big assumption. You may care that much about the issue, but I bet if you took a representative sampling of all BFC's customers, you'd get a big shrug. Yeah, they'd like to have it, but what else are they willing to give up to get it? There's the rub. Features do not in the normal run of things come for free. So, would you be willing to give up half a dozen new vehicles or the same number of new scenarios? And if so, how many people do you think would agree with you? Until you can answer those and other questions, I think you are over-selling your desired option.

Michael

Well, I could say the same for your position.

We already have hundreds of scenarios and hundreds of vehicles,- I don't think people are yearning for yet another variant of tank X or vehicle Y. Scenario-makers have problems getting people to DL and play their work, because we already have so many to choose from.

I think a lot of people would be interested in enhancing the quality of the EXISTING games, campaigns and scenarios through an upgrade of animations and sound-design.

And I can't tell you how many ressources it would take, or if it would delay anything, and neither can you...

But I do see a huge interest in getting the CM2-games to look and sound better (just count the number of mods!). So an official sound- or animation DLC from Battlefront, would have a good chance of selling well. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's a case when there is need for a new/revised animation then one will be created. There's probably specific circumstances we can all think of we'd like to be animated a little better (not to mention other cosmetic/visual wishes) but does it really have an impact on gameplay? The new corner peaking mechanic with the 4.0 upgrade, would be great if the troops stacked up against the corder and twisted their bodies around to 'peak and shoot.'

<- This guy is a bit biased however, and is still holding out for CMx2 to head back into mid-war territory one day so that's on the top of my list. ;)

New Theaters/Time Periods > Animations

On 1/24/2017 at 0:33 AM, Erwin said:

I share a similar frustration.  I must have more than 100GB of mods downloaded from when CM2 first came out.  Now so many don't work with patched versions, but which ones?  It would take me months to examine each mod cos there is no efficient way to do that, and no help re what mods are totally obsolete. 

I envy newcomers who can start with fully up to date versions of all these games.  Having all these titles as separate games requiring their own engine etc. is such a waste of HD space and creates more and more work.  Just keeping up to date with all the activation codes is a PITA.  I really hope that CM3 can incorporate all CM3 titles so there is no duplication and the "feel" will be more akin to how we experienced CM1 - everything in one game.  Otherwise, it would be a concern that the series could collapse under the aggravation of complex time-consuming installations, mods, updates and patches - kinda like what happened to PESE.  And that was only one game.

It is trivially easy to have one directory containing your sound mod, which all the games point to.  It doesn't even have to be in the game's directory structure.  Use Directory Junctions (in Windows).

Example:  you have CM installed on C:  You put your sound mod in a directory on a different drive D:

mklink /j  "c:\program files\CMBN\data\z\sound" "d:\mods\CM\sound"

mklink /j  "c:\program files\CMFI\data\z\sound" "d:\mods\CM\sound"

mklink /j  "c:\program files\CMFB\data\z\sound" "d:\mods\CM\sound"

etc

Obviously your precise installation paths will be different to the ones above.

A variation of this would be that you have a sound mod in CMBN and you want all the other games to use it:

mklink /j  "c:\program files\CMFI\data\z\sound" "c:\program files\CMBN\data\z\sound"

mklink /j  "c:\program files\CMFB\data\z\sound" "c:\program files\CMBN\data\z\sound"

Edited by Jock Tamson