Jump to content

Who else would buy an animation DLC/Expansion


Wodin
 Share

Recommended Posts

Same as other posters, I would pay for any major improvements in the CM series.

Considering animations, I´d wished for better use of animations, but not necessarily new or more varied ones. I also think more animation variations playing and beeing used the same time in the game could mean a noticable drop in FPS. That´s from my observations on my admittedly crappy PC and OS.

Some time ago I followed a somewhat different approach by swapping some the games animation by ones used for different purposes. IE replacing the cower and medic animations by simple lying prone stance. That only involved renaming of some the games existing files and placing them in the mod folder as usual. That fits my purpose well, as I dislike the fetal cower stance animation as well as the medic always showing a good target to the enemy for no purpose.

I´d also seen no necessity for soldiers that feed a new belt or mag into their small arms to show fully upright or kneeling in sight of the enemy, since for a number of precious game seconds, these soldiers neither spot for, nor engage the enemy. Swapping these reloading animations for the ones using one stance lower, did the trick for me as well.

I´d gone as far as completely swapping standing idle animations (only used for spotting) for the ones used for kneeling. Just left the one in using the binocular.

I only use the animaton swap mods for increased fun (and realism) in my vs AIP games which got mentioned animations swapped as well and only use the unmodded set for serious mission testing and missions to be released for public. Those who are interested, can download and try out 2 of these mode here:

Medic Replace

http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=713

Cower Replace

http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/?p=744&

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 15/01/2017 at 10:19 PM, Sailor Malan2 said:

But the real question is either or:do you want new gameplay or modules and vehicles or better animation? There are only so many many hours being applied to this.

 

Me I want CMX3. Wouldn't say no if it had better animation ;)

Not necessary..the person who would make and revamp the animations might not be the person who creates new gameplay features or research and input new TOE for new modules or make the scenarios and campaigns etc..so it is plausible an animation DLC (which has no other effect on gameplay except visual) could be developed alongside new modules or game series with little impact on development time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Wodin said:

Not necessary..the person who would make and revamp the animations might not be the person who creates new gameplay features or research and input new TOE for new modules or make the scenarios and campaigns etc..so it is plausible an animation DLC (which has no other effect on gameplay except visual) could be developed alongside new modules or game series with little impact on development time.

I note that wishful thinking is not dead in the world.

:D

Michael

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wodin said:

Not necessary..the person who would make and revamp the animations might not be the person who creates new gameplay features or research and input new TOE for new modules or make the scenarios and campaigns etc..so it is plausible an animation DLC (which has no other effect on gameplay except visual) could be developed alongside new modules or game series with little impact on development time.

But new gameplay features, and sometimes new modules, need animations. Hence new animations do compete with content, even if there are different people doing hard coding (rules) as distinct from soft (visuals etc). Scenarios and campaigns are already done by the community so I have no real issue with those.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Sailor Malan2 said:

But new gameplay features, and sometimes new modules, need animations. Hence new animations do compete with content, even if there are different people doing hard coding (rules) as distinct from soft (visuals etc). Scenarios and campaigns are already done by the community so I have no real issue with those.

Will no one let me dream....;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's nothing 'automatic' about making/revising soldier animations in this game. Its grueling labor-intensive work and nobody's going to hand BFC a million bucks to go play motion capture. They'd certainly LIKE it if someone did that but its more likely they'll win the lottery and all retire to their yachts first. Actually, animations do continue to be refined, do keep improving (with a lot of hard work), but nobody seems to notice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, NPye said:

For ultimate sound connect your computer into a surround sound system, believe me its almost like being there sound wise.

 

True, I also have surround sound in my gaming room.

And my 34" monitor in 3440 x 1440 shows how pretty CM can look, but also reveals the shortcomings...

Cheers,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/17/2017 at 10:22 AM, Lee Vincent said:

If you want improved sounds why not just download a sound mod? There are plenty out there.

Because I'm not going to waste my limited gaming time hunting around for mods I may or may not like. It's not hard to see that a large number of sounds the various CM2 titles use are outdated and in need of vast improvement. 

Edited by LukeFF
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I share a similar frustration.  I must have more than 100GB of mods downloaded from when CM2 first came out.  Now so many don't work with patched versions, but which ones?  It would take me months to examine each mod cos there is no efficient way to do that, and no help re what mods are totally obsolete. 

I envy newcomers who can start with fully up to date versions of all these games.  Having all these titles as separate games requiring their own engine etc. is such a waste of HD space and creates more and more work.  Just keeping up to date with all the activation codes is a PITA.  I really hope that CM3 can incorporate all CM3 titles so there is no duplication and the "feel" will be more akin to how we experienced CM1 - everything in one game.  Otherwise, it would be a concern that the series could collapse under the aggravation of complex time-consuming installations, mods, updates and patches - kinda like what happened to PESE.  And that was only one game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/1/2017 at 7:22 PM, Lee Vincent said:

If you want improved sounds why not just download a sound mod? There are plenty out there.

Because the sound mods are a mixed bag, in my opinion.

Some of the gun/vehicle sounds are better than stock, a lot are worse, and none of them are based on AUTHENTIC recordings of the REAL guns and vehicles.

For me it would be worth $30 to have a sound-DLC that used real recordings of a MG42, BAR, Pz IV and so on.

These things matters a lot for my immersion, and would enhance the whole CM series. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Erwin said:

I share a similar frustration.  I must have more than 100GB of mods downloaded from when CM2 first came out.  Now so many don't work with patched versions, but which ones?  It would take me months to examine each mod cos there is no efficient way to do that, and no help re what mods are totally obsolete. 

I envy newcomers who can start with fully up to date versions of all these games.  Having all these titles as separate games requiring their own engine etc. is such a waste of HD space and creates more and more work.  Just keeping up to date with all the activation codes is a PITA.  I really hope that CM3 can incorporate all CM3 titles so there is no duplication and the "feel" will be more akin to how we experienced CM1 - everything in one game.  Otherwise, it would be a concern that the series could collapse under the aggravation of complex time-consuming installations, mods, updates and patches - kinda like what happened to PESE.  And that was only one game.

I could't agree more on the unified UI for all the games... I said pretty much the same thing here...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BodyBag said:

Because the sound mods are a mixed bag, in my opinion.

Some of the gun/vehicle sounds are better than stock, a lot are worse, and none of them are based on AUTHENTIC recordings of the REAL guns and vehicles.

For me it would be worth $30 to have a sound-DLC that used real recordings of a MG42, BAR, Pz IV and so on.

These things matters a lot for my immersion, and would enhance the whole CM series. 

 

Yeah, that is why I make my own sound mods, using a lot of different sources including my own. I have a studio in my home and several at work so it's easier for me, but I'm pretty sure I'm the exception. So a sound DLC would be a welcome addition I'm sure, Paradox does it with music DLCs and they seem to do rather well.

Edited by AstroCat
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Erwin said:

I share a similar frustration.  I must have more than 100GB of mods downloaded from when CM2 first came out.  Now so many don't work with patched versions, but which ones?  It would take me months to examine each mod cos there is no efficient way to do that, and no help re what mods are totally obsolete. 

Yeah, if you have been gathering up mods as time moved on but never pared back ones that don't work with new versions cleaning up now would be a daunting task. I try to keep up and when a new patch, upgrade or module comes out I ditch the mods that don't match up any more. Uniform numbering changes - delete all uniform mods, vehicle X gets a fix - delete its mod. Then when new mods appear I can pick them up knowing they will work with the current version.
 

14 hours ago, Erwin said:

I envy newcomers who can start with fully up to date versions of all these games.  Having all these titles as separate games requiring their own engine etc. is such a waste of HD space and creates more and more work.  Just keeping up to date with all the activation codes is a PITA. 

I'm not sure about the wasted HD space - sure there is some overlap but many vehicles and uniform mods don't really fit cross games (wrong colour of paint from Italy in Normandy). I suppose sound mods might be different but since I have never found one I liked I have only dabbled with sound mods.

 

14 hours ago, Erwin said:

I really hope that CM3 can incorporate all CM3 titles so there is no duplication and the "feel" will be more akin to how we experienced CM1 - everything in one game.  Otherwise, it would be a concern that the series could collapse under the aggravation of complex time-consuming installations, mods, updates and patches - kinda like what happened to PESE.  And that was only one game.

Ah you do remember that there were three CM1x games right? While we are going to have more games in CM2x there was never a time where there was one engine to rule them all. In fact the CM2x system is vastly superior because we can actually have upgrades to CMBN that keep it up to date. That never happened with CM1x.

Don't get me wrong having a single engine with modules for all the content does sound cool and if BFC find they can do it I'll be happy but don't let nostalgia get in your eyes because the only reasons CM2x seems like there are move moving parts is because BFC has created / is creating more content for CM2x than they ever did for CM1x and they are keeping the older games up to date. By definition that creates more moving parts, more keys to keep track of and more combination so mods that might or might not work.

I for one am happy to have these problems so we can have such a good game. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"I for one am happy to have these problems so we can have such a good game. :)"

Absolutely - except it takes more and more time to administer the game and keep everything up to date, and that means less and less time to actually play.  That's exactly what happened to PESE - until one just gave up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/24/2017 at 9:30 AM, BodyBag said:

Some of the gun/vehicle sounds are better than stock, a lot are worse, and none of them are based on AUTHENTIC recordings of the REAL guns and vehicles.

 

Does it have to be authentic recording to fit (sound) in the game? I think not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...