Giving hull down a spin

MikeyD

CMBS has a lot of overhead weapons systems to experiment with 'hull-down'. Its been interesting playing with them. A properly hull-down Stryker with only the .50 cal showing is more formidable than one might imagine. Maneuvering hull-down with a Stryker MGS is a hoot. The vehicle's now fun to play with! Plus there's the plethora of Russian vehicles with .30 cal overhead turret.

It appears from my playing hull down works best defensively. Find yourself a good position and wait for the enemy to come forward. I you're maneuvering into view of an opponent that's already sitting there he's likely to spot you first. He might not be able to hit you, but he'll spot you.

I finally got a decent test run with hull down. A platoon of Strykers and an Abrams holding off elements of a BTR infantry battalion(quick battle, meeting engagement, random AI selection). I finally got outflanked, but the Strykers and the Abrams laid waste to them firing from a berm located near a depression. Initially, I had destroyed most of their vehicles(18 at the time) taking only a single casualty. One of the enemy vics got close enough to wound the gunner in one of the Strykers. I was finally got outflanked. 1 BTR crushed 4 Strykers firing in enfilade. It took an M136 to finish him off from supporting infantry nearby. In the end I had about 9 casualties with over 50% of their force annihilated.

All that being said, most of their fires were completely ineffective, taking very few casualties. When I decided to end it I had pinned all their vehicles behind some rolling hills, with enemy infantry stuck in open fields(under 155mm bombardment). Had I brough something a little more beefy like Bradleys, or maybe MGS in lieu of the Abrams it would have gone even worse. Love this feature!

MikeyD,

TOW 2B is indeed an overflight waepon. It fires two EFP/SFF smack through the top of the target. Hull down may be moot in terms of protecting the hull from attack, but if hulldown, the AFV is harder to spot and therefore target for the DF cover negating TOW 2B. this is particularly true on a visually/thermally chaotic battlefield.

Regards,

John Kettler

On 12/31/2016 at 5:13 PM, MikeyD said:

Ah, about being knocked out by the Bradley TOW. I believe it fires TOW2B which is an overflight missile, when it gets overhead it fires a pair of projectiles straight down. So hull down is a moot point.

My problem was that my T-72s stopped with LOS but without LOF to the target (in this case bradley). So, any move order other than hulldown (or hunt) would probably have worked better. Still need some more learning with it ;)

1 hour ago, Lethaface said:

My problem was that my T-72s stopped with LOS but without LOF to the target (in this case bradley). So, any move order other than hulldown (or hunt) would probably have worked better. Still need some more learning with it ;)

I have trouble picturing that.. seems like the interface lost you a tank

14 minutes ago, antaress73 said:

I have trouble picturing that.. seems like the interface lost you a tank

Maybe the Sensors on top was able to get LOS (since higher then Gun sight), but when it came down to firing the Gunners Sight or Barrel was to low to actually fire ?

Maneuvering to get a hull down bead on an enemy sitting in place is always a bit problematic because spotting-while-moving is lower than spotting-while-stationary, and vehicles that are moving are easier to spot. My best luck with hull down has been to find your position first then wait for them to advance towards you. Being 'clever' is more difficult in modern war with the fancy IR optics, communications nets, circling drones and top-attack weapons. Your T72 would probably have more luck stalking a T64 BM Bulat than a Bradley or Abrams