Does wind direction and strength affect sound contacts?

10 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

If a Panzer IV has squeaky tracks in the middle of a forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

;)

Michael

Yes it does, the crew can still hear it... :D

Thanks guys, I was reading the FM 3-21.8 for the next part of the TTP videos and it kept specifying to pass downwind of danger areas on a march. They mention the idea of guard dogs, and I know wind tends to carry sound,  but I was just trying to figure out any in-game reason to keep to that rule. Apparently there isn't.

1 hour ago, SLIM said:

...I was reading the FM 3-21.8 for the next part of the TTP videos and it kept specifying to pass downwind of danger areas on a march. They mention the idea of guard dogs, and I know wind tends to carry sound...

They also carry odors, and if there are dogs, it would be a dead giveaway. Especially if there are any smokers in your unit, and usually there are at least two or three out of every five.

Michael

51 minutes ago, sburke said:

Yeah, I think regarding dogs it is more the sense of smell. Odors are gonna carry regardless of how stealthily one is trying to be. 

?Depending on the breed  ... some will smell you well before you or the dogs can see you.... and can track you very effectively to where you thought you great hiding place was.

Buzz

Edited by Buzz

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2016 at 1:41 PM, Buzz said:

?Depending on the breed  ... some will smell you well before you or the dogs can see you.... and can track you very effectively to where you thought you great hiding place was.

Buzz

+1 on that, my old coonhound is so nearsighted now that I wonder how he can walk in a straight line, but he can still trail everything that went through the yard the previous night by scent alone, and show me every spot they even paused for a moment.  My shepherd/rottie mix can't do it, but he can tell me by sight and hearing if one of my neighbors is sitting on their porch on the other side of the woods. Between the two, nothing even comes near my place that I don't know about.

On 1/4/2017 at 5:02 PM, Faelwolf said:

+1 on that, my old coonhound is so nearsighted now that I wonder how he can walk in a straight line, but he can still trail everything that went through the yard the previous night by scent alone, and show me every spot they even paused for a moment.  My shepherd/rottie mix can't do it, but he can tell me by sight and hearing if one of my neighbors is sitting on their porch on the other side of the woods. Between the two, nothing even comes near my place that I don't know about.

^^^ Great thing about having critter companions both in City and Country. Not much is going to slip past their attention and ALERT to owner when you are busy doing chores.

Buzz