HG Uniforms Italy, Field Division Uniforms

I'm very much excited for our Xmas bone on the new module for CMFI.

The addition of the SS and Luftwaffe Field Divisions has got me very excited. I was reflecting on the units already in game and how new modules add details and tweaks to what we already have as well as new content. Gustav Line for instance added Fallschirmjager to the new setting, Italy but also added them to Sicily.

I just have a few words on the topic of Luftwaffe uniforms. With Field Divisions coming in the update, I believe it is a good opportunity to update the HG uniforms for Italy. Nearly all of the assets required are already in the game! With the SS coming, the oakleaf smocks would also be available. It would just require making sure the HG has the correct insignia and cuffbands, and do not share textures with the Field Divisions.

I would suggest tagging the skins so that in appearance there is Standard, Greatcoat, but also Mixed Camo (as in Red Thunder). I would also suggest ensuring that Field Divisions do not share a skin with the HG troops. HG troops and Fallschirmjager are already separate, and in Red Thunder panzergrenadier can have different uniforms than the regular Heer infantry with the Panzergrenadier and Armored Infantry appearance options.

As you can see, the HG tropical M1943 uniform is already in game. 

v7VzszR.png
tYpoIcD.png

April 1943, the use of the color piped collar tabs was discontinued. Plain White tabs were to be worn by all members of the Hermann Goering Division. The waffenfarbe was to be shown on the piping on the shoulder straps.

January of 1944, the use of the white collar tabs was abolished from use on the field uniform. The ranking gulls were punched directly through the collar lapel. Shoulder straps still used the waffenfarbe piping as before.

The cuff title was a blue cloth with "General Goering" embroidered onto it.

Due to the multi specialty nature of this unit, there were many garments which were approved for use. These range from Panzer Wraps, HBT light weight uniforms, camo garments, and many others. Infantry piping was white as well.

By contrast, here are some Field Division uniforms from the same time period, including one from Italy.

yWrJaQt.png
SNC64ZS.png

• 2 weeks later...

I've never done anything like this before, in fact I've never used photoshop but I've been plugging away for the past few weeks trying to get something down. I didn't want to ask any of the talent modders here to do work without giving it a shot myself. I also know most of them are putting out amazing content for CMFB :P and I know that people want to try out the shiny new thing.

First of all, nearly all credit goes to Vein. I used his skins as the base. I also used the autumn smock from CMFB and I believe some uniform details from EZ. If any of them object to me putting this file up, I'll remove the link and add more pictures.

I've made a test file to get some constructive feedback, both on the nuts and bolts of making textures and also the historical accuracy. I also included the reference material I've used. I completely went over the M1943 uniforms to add cuff titles for HG and the collar tabs and shoulder boards of the correct colour. I then tried my hand at making insignia for Gefreiter and Feldwebel. I then mix and matched the tunics with the various trousers made by Vein. Finally, I took the Oak Leaf smock from CMFB and put Luftwaffe webbing on it.

There are some weird issues I don't know how to resolve. 1) The HG Cuff title is sometimes distorted and I can't seem to get the positioning right. 2) The left collar tab is distored and elongated so that it sometimes reaches the shoulders! 3) The tropical webbing seen below seems to be a little too high and ammunition pouches and the like seem to be hanging off rather than attached to it.

Please let me know what you think. Since this test version relies heavily on Vein's work, I'm attempting to make a new set completely from stock Battlefront assets in CMFI and CMFB.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zhegidiusugoich/HG Skins Test.zip?dl=0

YlQIHRh.jpg

• 4 years later...