Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Panzer Elite?????

I will definately be buying CM when it comes out but I now have a question regarding Panzer Elite. I had purchased it when it first came out and was not really impressed with the graphics and brought it back. Does anyone think that I was a little rash about this, am I missing a better game than Panzer Commander. I noticed little squares on the battle field and this turned me off, should I repurchase it, is it worth it. Please try to be unbiased, I have a killer graphic card[ultra tnt2 and p3 500]

thanks Severe

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Well, I have tried out Panzer Elite, (a friend's copy) wink.gif and it was cool at first, but it just got too boring as it just became a "bug hunt". Well, a Sherman hunt if you will. Panzer Elite, as well as Panzer Commander are both just tank simulators.

CM, of course, is a WWII squad-based tactical wargame using true strategy (instead of RTS style click-fests) with it's intuitive turn-based/simultaneous resolution gameplay. It plays like the old V for Victory series and it's successor World at War series where both sides give their orders and then you (both) watch what happens.

Now I'm not totally certain of what you're asking, but as to go back and re-purchase PE or PC, then that's up to you. But the question you have to ask yourself, is that would you rather spend your money on a simulation where you have total control over every unit or just control over a single tank all the while looking through a gunner's site.

If it were me. I wouldn't go back and re-purchase either unless they were dirt cheap like $10 or something.

Just my $.02 biggrin.gif

------------------

"Fear is the path to the Dark Side.

Fear leads to anger.

Anger leads to hate.

Hate leads to suffering."

--Jedi Master Yoda

Well PE has been dumped by the Publisher, so the developers are out on a limb, you'd be very lucky to find it. Sigh it never ends

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Hompage ----> http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my new Textures V2.0 photo Gallery and my music while your there, or grab a CM Wallpaper! :P

Guest MantaRay

I say get it if you can find it. If you are into Tank Simulations, it is the best one out there by far. And Psygnosis didnt dump PE, they went out of business I think. Wings will eventually fix the multiplayer bugs so to speak, so I think it is worth buying. Just my opinion though.

Ray

------------------

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

Some info for you:

First my opinion: Panzer Elite is the best WW2 Tank simulator out there. If you like to handle the job of a tank commander/gunner/driver yourself, this simulation can give you an immersive feeling that still has to be beaten by other sims.

With installing the 1072patch and the Michael Y patch it is a very stable and accurate simulation, except Multiplayer, which still has to be patched by Wings, since it is a piece of crap right now.

Here´s some info from their Homepage concerning Psygnosis and patch status:

------Quote--------

Status of Distribution

As many of you heard or read: Psygnosis closed down their offices in USA. We knew that for a long time, as they closed down their operations in Europe a long time ago. The status of distribution of PE is as follows:

USA: Activision continues distributing it. So supply should be there. If you got trouble finding it in North America call Activision.

Europe: Things look grim as the distributor could continue if they haven't been sold to Infogrames. PE's distribution stopped in Europe and this in Australia, Scandinavia and the rest outside America.

Wings is working on a solution, but this takes time. I should have more news after E3 about our plans.

Status of Patch and Mission Disk

As some of you know from my messages Wings is entirely funding PE's website, patches and work since the release. Psygnosis dropped support entirely. It doesnt help calling Psygnosis as they no longer exist. Sony (owner of Psygnosis) is more interested in PSX2 (Playstation 2) than in PC of course, and yes, they even drop support for PSX1 to focus on PSX2.

This means we can only continue working on PE when we signed another contract. There might be big news after E3 about our next projects which also give PE the patches and mission disk it deserves. Stay tuned.

Wings is committed supporting their game and customers.

Teut/Wings

-----End of Quote------

Helge

------------------

Sbelling chequed wyth MICROSOFT SPELLCHECKER - vorgs grate!

- The DesertFox -

Email: desertfox1891@hotmail.com

WWW: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Capsule/2930/

Guest Schuggerbaby

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SEVERE:

I will definately be buying CM when it comes out but I now have a question regarding Panzer Elite. I had purchased it when it first came out and was not really impressed with the graphics and brought it back. Does anyone think that I was a little rash about this, am I missing a better game than Panzer Commander. I noticed little squares on the battle field and this turned me off, should I repurchase it, is it worth it. Please try to be unbiased, I have a killer graphic card[ultra tnt2 and p3 500]

thanks Severe<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I played both PC and PE, and PE is by far the best WW2 tank simulation on the marked; but It's far from being perfect! With your System you can play it with full details and get app. 10-15 fps, which is quite high for PE standarts ( many play it with only 7fps or lower!), but ii doesn't hinder game play IMO. The major drawback with this game is it's bad MP capability and the whole PE community is desperate for the patch to fix it. The best thing about PE is by far the countless number of Fans who created really cool addons ( See Wings Links section for this).

Schuggerbaby

Guest BillWood

I have PE and have not played it.

I will sell or trade. Right now I am looking for some old board games to play with my 8 yr old boy, AH's Victory in the Pacific, Midway, stuff like that.

As the man says though, when you have CM, what else would you WANT to do tacticaly in a wargame (except to increase the breadth and improve CM).

Guest MantaRay

Yes, MichaelY has done some really great stuff, as has PEDG(Panzer Elite Developers Group) All in all, I think that the only draw backs are the MP that sucks and the overall learning curve is very steep. I also think this is a good thing though.

And I do believe Wings has good intentions to fix it up, as they are a small company that needs repeat business in the future, and the people who go to their forms are seemingly a group who would forget or forgive Wings if they didnt come through.

Sucks that the company distributing the game went under, and I can only imagine how hard it must be for them to pay their bills after this. I think they have good posibilites with the game, but they need a better business manager, and to find a more stable publisher. And they did release the Scenario Editor, so more missions may come of it.

Ray

------------------

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

Little squares and TNT2? Sounds like something that Teut has addressed in the technical support FAQ. He runs a TNT2 himself, and I recall seeing him passing out

tips that improved the display for others.

I just upgraded my 500 Mhz Celeron with a VooDoo3, and saw a big jump in the fps,

compared to running it with the on-board Intel chip on my HP 8560 wiht 128 Mb. I went

from 5 to 8 at 1024 by 768 at long range up

to 9 to 11 at long, and up to 17 at short.

Panzer Elite is a tremendously immersive experience. PEDG and others have provided very cool support, including new sounds, new

textures, vehicles like the British Firefly

and Achilles, the German Maus and E100 and

Jadgtiger. Park the Maus next to a Jadgtiger sometime. PEDG is near to releasing some Churchill and Cromwell variants. Despite

Psygnosis, PE is well supported by an extraordinary group of developers and fans.

Bug hunt? Hmmm. It never feels that way to

me playing as the Americans. If you want

total control, Combat Mission. If you want

total immersiveness, Panzer Elite. If you want both, welcome to the club.

Kevin Christensen

Lawrence, KS

Just spent about an hour playing PE. I thought it was pretty cool. However, the learning curve does seem to be a bit steep, and I think there must be a "Americans are retarded and can't shoot" mode or invincible mode or something because I took out something like a 15 Shermans, a dozen TDs a platoon or two of Jumbos and some bazooka teams at close quarters, with a single Panther. Big fun. Seemed like there was stuff hitting me, but it also seemed like I could do no wrong. I shoulda been dead meat. I am too lazy to rtfm so until i hit the majik key combination that toggles the god mode i guess i will just have to deal with it.

Got a nice beat, but you really can't dance to it. i give it a 6.5.

Peng

PS i do dig the look of the Panther too, but the enemy tanks seemed a bit cheesey in the rendering. Also a really cool exploding tank with the turret blasting up in the air. OK so I give it a 7.

------------------

Peng sez "die a lot now."

Guest Schuggerbaby

Well, in PE its much easier to play the german side and get good kill ratios. Try to tweak the realism parameters a bit ( 100% or up) and it will definitly be a challenge especially in the long campaign with axis supply. If you're really hard, try to play the US side with the same difficulty: You won't even see those Tigers who blow up your whole platoon of M4A1 at ranges of 1500 yards and up...

Schuggerbay

The more I have played Panzer Elite, the more I like it. There is a lot going on in each scenario. The learning curve is steep, but most of it is learning to be aware of what is going on around you, to think and to react like a (good?) tanker. This game seems to be the first first person tank game where the parts have gotten sufficiently good, that the whole is truly amazing.