CMRT Finland Mini Mod

@mjkerner OK, I knew you had to go up north to get the data but I didn't realize you may have already done some winterizing. That's great! Thanks.

@Suchy  I know what you mean. One time in CMFI I modded in a CMRT T-34 for invasion of Malta. It was modded over PzIV. Looks versus reality. Like your machine gun example. The weaknesses of modding. I AM HOPING that F&R will come with adhoc German straggler teams or the Volksturm using ragtag weapons WW1 MG08 Maxim machine gun perhaps? and captured weapons would be great as well, for Stalingrad scenarios with Germans using PPsH. Perhaps THEN we have a reality along with our cosmetic looks.

• 3 weeks later...

What was interesting when I was in Finland was learning that they used the Swastika way before the Germans adopted it, and continued its use for quite a long time after WW2 (IIRC).   Also, the Finnish army museum was full of WW2 equipment - especially captured  Russian tanks etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a record of what I got from a very fine gentleman who I will respect his overall privacy. He retired as a colonel in the Finnish Army. He served as a UN peacekeeper. He works at a Finnish military museum. I wish I could go and shake his hand. AND THERE IS MORE! This guy's Dad served in WW2 and had bullets hit him on 2 different occasions. Once from Soviet weapons. Another time from German weapons. 

These are the basic CM artillery commands. In each military with a different language, there are interesting differences in how they get the basic concepts across. My starting point was to tell him what was said in English as the US Army terms and method for the artillery support sequences portrayed in CM using the voice files. Then he would give me what must be said in Finnish

PHRASE 1*: GROUP 1 SAYS: "REQUEST FIRE MISSION, OVER"

TULIKOMENTOJA, KUUNTELEN   (firecommands - listen)

*PHRASE 2:* GROUP 2 REPLIES: "FIRE MISSION REQUEST RECEIVED, OUT"

TULIKOMENTOJA, VALMIS (firecommands, ready)

*PHRASE 3:* GROUP 2 SAYS "ADJUST FIRE, OVER" (Here the game simulates
 some spotting to get accuracy)

Does this mean to fire once and see where is the hit?
We call it HAKUAMMUNTA - search fire

If you fire once you say
MAALI MEKKA (TARGET and the name of it is MEKKA) KERTA AMPUKAA
same as TARGET MEKKA, ONCE, FIRE

If you only aim to the target
MAALI MEKKA (TARGET and the name of it MEKKA) SUUNTAA
suuntaa – to aim the target

What is the difference ”adjust fire, over or out”?

*PHRASE 4:* GROUP 2 SAYS "ADJUST FIRE, OUT" (Spotting is conducted by
 infantry/FO)

We have always the fire plan, all the targets are named and measures before. So we only give the name of the target and which effect we want.

* PHRASE 5:* GROUP 1 SAYS "FIRE FOR EFFECT, OVER" (the adjustments are
not mentioned)

TORJUNTA MEKKA ,  AMPUKAA

The targets can be ESTE - ”obstacle” or TORJUNTA - ”repel, repulse”. Depends how many shells per minute you want. Torjunta or repulse is the most effective fire during 1-2 minutes.

AMPUKAA or SUUNTAA means also OVER

* PHRASE 6:* GROUP 2 THEN SAYS "FIRE FOR EFFECT, ROGER" (they confirm
that spotter FO is happy with adjustments and now come the rounds)

TORJUNTA MEKKA, AMPUKAA

* PHRASE 7:* GROUP 1 MIGHT HAVE TO STOP FIRE AND SAYS "CHECK FIRE, CHECK > FIRE, CHECK FIRE!" (3 times, emergency)

(simply)  TULI SEIS (stop the fire)

* PHRASE 8:* GROUP 2 CONFIRMS THEIR REQUEST "ROGER, CHECK FIRE, END OF MISSION" (game simplifies that mission is over)

TULI SEIS – TULITAUKO (firepause)

* PHRASE 9:* IF NO EMERGENCY, THEN MISSION NATURALLY ENDS AND GROUP 2

Usually I speak Peacekeepers' English. It means 50 % with hands. I try to translate some Finnish.

I have some almost autentic commands in Tali Ihantala battle in 1944
It's a Movie ”Tali – Ihantala 1944”

Basic words
Tulenjohtaja (tja) – forward observer
Tulenjohtokomentaja (tjkom)  - commanding forward observer, who coordinates the whole firepower

Name of the targets which really were in Ihantala July 1944 ”KARKIMO”, ”MEKKA”

Code of tja FO was  KARHU KAKSI (BEAR 2)
Code of the tjkom  was OTTO YKSI (OTTO 1)

TULIKOMENTO(JA) – Tuli – fire, komento – command(s). This is always opening command to ask fire. (fire request)
KUUNTELEN – I listen or OVER
TORJUNTA is it repel or repulse? How ever the most effect fire 1 to 3 minutes so fast as possible to the ready measured target(s)
AMPUKAA – FIRE

Act One in movie
Tulenjohtaja (tja) – Forward Observer comes to the batallion command post. At the same time orderly from the frontline company comes and says ”Company commander asked fire to the front.

FO -Tja says to the radio ”OTTO YKSI KARHU KAKSI, KUUNTELEN

TULIKOMENTO TORJUNTA KARKIMO AMPUKAA, TORJUNTA KARKIMO AMPUKAA

and fire of 21 batteries and one heavy battery, 254 tubes, fired to the same targets.

Act two in movie
Company commander and forward observer name the ”barrier”targets as MEKKA 1 and MEKKA 2. Botht together KOKO MEKKA – whole mekka

When the attack starts FO commands first ”TULIKOMENTOJA, MEKKA 1, AMPUKAA”
Because it wasn't effective enough, soon had to give new one !KOKO MEKKA  AMPUKAA”

back to kohlenklau...I ordered that movie on ebay a few weeks ago. It will arrive until this summer sometime. The guy must be walking to bring me the DVD...!

21 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

back to kohlenklau...I ordered that movie on ebay a few weeks ago. It will arrive until this summer sometime. The guy must be walking to bring me the DVD...!

great movie...epic I must say...you will enjoy it...I did and still do it from time to time...a lot..

there is also "unknown soldier"(2017) quite welldone and another which name I could not recall and quite hard to find in my storage drive...

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@Erwin

I would love to see these pictures. I modeled the pictures from the internet from Parola. But my modding skills are not like other masters e.g. Aris. The point is, that in game Finnish equipment should not scare with German or Soviet painting, but at least roughly similar to real Finnish camouflage. I think I have achieved this goal?

@kohlenklau
I like Finns and your mod, so in my free time I decided to extend it a bit 🙂
I expanded Crete mod too 🙂
I will slowly get down to Romanians and Hungarians as well. I also have Polish tankette from September 1939 🙂

https://imgur.com/a/RN98Jmf

Dirty and muddy T34

https://imgur.com/a/dQNk1D3

And now, due to another wave of family and work duties, a few days break in modding. I'm still going to prepare T70 (as Finnish T26 and Vickers) and BA64 (3D model swapped from SdKfz 221, as Finnish BA20). Well maybe still Panzer IIIG (swapped 3D model with Stuart V) as Finnish T-50 and IS-1 as captured Finnish KW1. Both made mods I will make available in Dropbox. A few scenarios using this equipment would be useful...