DAR: Kinophile (RUS) v. The Forward Observer (US) - Batt. PBEM

Kinophile

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Commiserations @kinophile!

Thanks for the write up, good DARs are hard to continue when you are getting  pounded.

I totally agree on BMPs versus BTR82s; the sheer volume of fire the latter can put out, versus their cost, has generally meant i use them to drown my opponent with their cannon fire. And if a few go boom, so be it.

I think BMP-3M's are pretty good. I don't think ERA, Shorta or APS are really worth it against the Americans though. The 100mm is absolutely deadly against infantry and the 30mm is capable against any short of an MBT.

I do have to say that winning as the Russians in this game is tough! 

1 hour ago, kinophile said:

Im curious - why did my  FOUR tunguskas not knock his drones out of the sky wayyyy earlier? 4 x TU in a 2 Km linear box, no sightings for about 30 minutes.  

Seriously?

How many and of what type of drones did he have? What were the weather conditions?

I went without drones until I Javelined 2 Tunguskas around the 25 minute mark.  I sent them up after that.  4 of them.  Within a minute of them arriving 1 of them had been shot down.  Within 2 minutes 2 of them were shot down but a precision strike was called on a tunguska and the tunguska (number three) went down.  Two of them continued to operate for about 2 more minutes allowing for a total of 6 precision strikes to be called (5 believed to be hits) before a 4th tunguska opened up on them at the end of a turn.  I bugged them out, they both got out alive.  I called them in again after that because I could see where the 4th tunguska had been shooting from, so the plan was to park both of them above it and hopefully one lives and allows me to call in a precision strike (without the drones I could see he was in the woods but I didn't have line of sight).  The game ended before they could return, however, the 4th Tunguska popped out of the woods and got Javelined.  

So basically 1 Tunguska probably shot down 2 drones within two minutes of their arrival, and another Tunguska chased the remaining 2 away within 4.  Not bad performance actually.  Drones were ravens and the weather was day clear.

17 hours ago, kinophile said:

I'd actually have liked to conduct a proper retreat but I think it would have just been boring for TfO. I initially offered a ceasefire but neither if us are sure how that works,  so it had to be a surrender to end the game. 

Basically you press ceasefire then end your turn, and let you oppo know. He then must mirror this (pressing ceasefire) and sending back his turn...

This can then take a few minutes to take effect. Last time for me in BS, took 3 minutes (3 turns each) before ceasefire actually took effect. May be more or less

Important: you must communicate you interest in cease fire to oppo by email/pm/letterbomb/pigeon. There is NO ingame notification that you're ceasefiring. And you oppo can of course ignore you, or string it out for a few turns to gain more objectives/kills /whatever....

I think the cease fire went through and took precedence over your subsequent Surrender, probably because I accepted the cease fire right away.  At least in the AAR it says cease-fire, and I think it would have awarded me all the objectives if your surrender had gone through.

Meanwhile back channel discussions have stalled-- We seem to be hitting a diplomatic impasse regarding the terms of the next battle.  Kino's position is that drones should be allowed because they are essential to Russian survival against Blue, my position is that we should a)play without them b)limit them to one drone per side or c)play without Tunguskas (alternatively if we played a scenario I could attach Ukrainian air defenses).  Kino enjoys a paradigm that finds the US playing the role of the Taliban, totally defenseless against drones.  So I understand his reluctance to forfeit this advantage, however in accepting a no-drone game, he reaps plenty of benefits as well-- confidence that his REMFs can go about doing whatever it is that REMFs do without being attacked, extra points to devote to combat power, and I would even be willing to forfeit CAS/CCA entirely (just like last game), which would save Kino from spending points on Air Defenses, freeing up even more points for combat power.  

To be clear,  my angle is more that Drones compensate for serious RUS  deficiencies in spotting (vis a vis US thermal capabilities) rather than giving a key advantage over an equal parity foe (which the US is not,  it's clearly above parity.

The lack of US anti-drone weapons is pretty baffling,  and I understand TFO's frustration at an invincible unkillable Surveillance network overhead. 

Anyone got comparison info/experience on other,  non-Tunguska AD vehicles? Are they any good v US Air? 

My fear is if we add CAS but I've no Tu that I'll just get slaughtered like a retreating Iraqi division. 

Edited by kinophile

12 minutes ago, kinophile said:

Did you already suggest both RUS/US surveillance drones,  but no CAS,  No Tunguska?

Rgr that chief.  The Taliban experience is a little more bearable a thought if we're both enduring it.  

Beyond Normandy and Fortress Italy are a refreshing change of pace from black sea-- no thermals for anyone, no gorgon eyes, quality equipment on all sides, lots of content.  I'd stay away from the forums for those games though, it's like the wild west over there, a never-ending carnival of opinions masquerading as facts and third party analyses of sources written by liars, victorious governments, and war profiteers.  

2 hours ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

The Zala is the only Russian drone the US can't touch in-game, so that's

2 hours ago, Vanir Ausf B said:

The Zala is the only Russian drone the US can't touch in-game, so that's the only one I ban in my QBs. Stingers can hit the other two.

The MQ-1C Grey Eagle is also invulnerable so long as it remains in observe mode.

only one I ban in my QBs. Stingers can hit the other two.

The MQ-1C Grey Eagle is also invulnerable so long as it remains in observe mode.

@TheForwardObserver  bada boom! No Zalas,  full CAS,  yes Tunguska? 

@Vanir Ausf B are the other two RUS drones oF lesser ability?