Updating Shock Force

BF says they will do an updated version of CMSF.  The only sad part is that all the truly excellent content (mods and scenarios + campaigns) created for CMSF over many years will not be compatible.   :(     

Each new game released has less and less user-made mods and scenarios and especially far fewer campaigns than the previous title.  That could mean that many will continue to play "CMSF1".

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Erwin said:

BF says they will do an updated version of CMSF.  The only sad part is that all the truly excellent content (mods and scenarios + campaigns) created for CMSF over many years will not be compatible.   :(     

Ahh, I must have missed something important. Can you link a reference to that announcement?

My recollection is that the plan is to do whatever can be done to keep them compatible but that there are not solid commitments that every single thing will work exactly the same.

The only announcement was that they are working on CMSF2. But, in term of content, we are not sure of anything:

1) Will the content of CMSF base game plus all three modules be available day one in CMSF2?

2) Will the equipments of 2017 armies be available day one in CMSF2 (drones, APS, ...)?

What we are sure of (at least) is that CMSF2 will use engine 4 (or 5) and that campaigns/scenarios will have to be adapted (at best) for including the new features content (AI plans, ...).

3 hours ago, IanL said:

Nope. I am certain that has not been communicated that way. 

Find a link or it didn't happen :D

If we can use CMSF mods and scenarios and campaigns in CMSF2 we will all be thrilled.  Do you have a link that confirms that?

As I recall, the assumption was that most of the CMx1 scenarios/campaigns would work, but they would not be able to take advantage of any of the new AI features in the CMx2 engine.  Which would be perfectly fine with me.  

Of course, no one knows until we try it out, but hey, even if only 50% of the content works that's a lot of action.

My bigger desire is to have the CMx2 QB engine instead of the horrible QB generator in the original CMSF that had the GOOFIEST force selections ever.  Just the ability to have more choice in QB will be enough for me.

I have so much desire about this update. Just hope they won't remove anything in term of equipment (don't remove T55 please). And, I am impatient to work with exit zones and uncons. Just imagine, uncons attacking all of a sudden and disappearing before good guys could catch them.

Edited by ncc1701e

23 hours ago, grunt_GI said:

My bigger desire is to have the CMx2 QB engine instead of the horrible QB generator in the original CMSF that had the GOOFIEST force selections ever.  Just the ability to have more choice in QB will be enough for me.

Starting to deploy only to find your Marine combined arms unit is just a weapons company in Humvees and a platoon of empty Amtracs! :lol:

That and Dutch units being almost only engineers for some reason.

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 11:01 AM, grunt_GI said:

Just having this would be worth the price, IMO.

I think that shock force (1) was considdered pretty much a finished game family (as far as modules goes)...

I wounder if the same will be the case with CMSF2 or if we can expect some additional modules....

I mean...this desert setting can be used in a wide variety of scenarios...

Additional modules like...

- REGULAR IRANIAN FORCES - with a fictional conflict over there...

- IRAQI - ALLIED FORCES set at either of the 2 wars timeframe

- Maybe some afganistan settings...

2 hours ago, RepsolCBR said:

I think that shock force (1) was considdered pretty much a finished game family (as far as modules goes)...

I wounder if the same will be the case with CMSF2 or if we can expect some additional modules....

I mean...this desert setting can be used in a wide variety of scenarios...

Additional modules like...

- REGULAR IRANIAN FORCES - with a fictional conflict over there...

- IRAQI - ALLIED FORCES set at either of the 2 wars timeframe

- Maybe some afganistan settings...

I don't remember any talk of additional modules...just a straight conversion of the original bundle.

On 7/10/2017 at 10:22 AM, DougPhresh said:

Starting to deploy only to find your Marine combined arms unit is just a weapons company in Humvees and a platoon of empty Amtracs! :lol:

That and Dutch units being almost only engineers for some reason.

Yea, or getting an entire force of Marine static TOW missiles.....:blink:

On 7/9/2017 at 8:01 AM, grunt_GI said:

As I recall, the assumption was that most of the CMx1 scenarios/campaigns would work, but they would not be able to take advantage of any of the new AI features in the CMx2 engine.  Which would be perfectly fine with me.  

Of course, no one knows until we try it out, but hey, even if only 50% of the content works that's a lot of action.

CMSF is actually cmx2.  Just the really old version.   Taking advantage of the new AI features is a matter of actually re crafting the scenarios once the game is actually upgraded.  Not really all that far off from early CMBN scenarios not having the AI features in version 4 of the engine.   They could have them, but it is a lot of additional work to redo AI plans