Escalation of Violence is such a great mission

rooibos

Starts off as a nice close quarters scouting operation. At this point I usually level all the buildings I can with my grenade launchers a .50s and pick off whatever crawls out with my infantry.

And then it becomes a larger scale mechanized battle with lots of ambushes and sneaking around buildings and close range javelin kills, really satisfying-

And then its namesake. Quickly  you're set upon by suicidal motor rifles. BMPs everywhere. Autocannon and 40mm GL exploding everywhere. Calling in Paladin artillery strikes danger close to half strength scout teams hiding in ruined buildings and shell holes. 

Probably one of the more "gamey" missions, but it sure is a blast. Things ramp up perfectly and by the end I found myself sweating, barely taking time to breathe. Hats off to whoever designed this battle.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm playing it right now and it is quite gamey, but lots of fun. I tried a frontal assault against the town in my first attempt, but it failed quite miserably. So I decided to take the high ground on the left, which has plenty of Javelin opportunities and lots of spots for hull-down Strykers. The map now abounds with burning Russian vehicles and my tracked reinforcements just arrived.

Hello Gentleman,

So I'm the guy who made that scenario. First, I'm glad you enjoy it. Second, I haven't actually played Black Sea almost since then and was thinking about that scenario and getting back and maybe updating it. If you don't mind my asking, what did you find "gamey"?

Thanks

Edited by czarejs

I don't think you would realistically send light armour reinforcements to deal with heavier armour. A Stryker with a 40mm grenade launcher is fairly effective against a BMP-2, but you have to be careful. It also seems that you would probably have a drone and some arty right away.

That being said, I don't think these necessarily detract from the scenario being fun to play. Considering that the US often has a qualitative edge, I think it's okay for battles (especially against the AI) to be a bit gamey in order to make them more challenging.

On 10/19/2016 at 0:14 AM, czarejs said:

Hello Gentleman,

So I'm the guy who made that scenario. First, I'm glad you enjoy it. Second, I haven't actually played Black Sea almost since then and was thinking about that scenario and getting back and maybe updating it. If you don't mind my asking, what did you find "gamey"?

Thanks

Good question, I'll try to expand (keep in mind it's not a bad thing)

It definitely feels like a designed level, rather than just a skirmish between two forces. As in someone went in curated it completely. The flow of the battle felt very much like it was intended- felt like it was laid out in a Call of Duty style, a sort ofcinematic fashion- again, not a bad thing. It was a very exciting experience.