CM games I'd like to see

Scipio

10 hours ago, mbarbaric said:

winter '43 90k v 20k  a combined Axis strategic offensive

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_White

summer '43 130k vs 20k  a joint attack by the Axis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Case_Black

spring '44 20k vs 17k a combined airborne and ground assault 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Rösselsprung_(1944)

And you'll note that all these happened after 1942. Yes, things definitely started to heat up in '43 and after. BTW, I would personally like to see the '41 war depicted, but I don't think it is at all likely.

Michael

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, z1812 said:

My vote for new games would be.

1. The Spanish Civil War

2. Patton Rolls East 1948

3.  The Angolan Civil War

Personally I'd prefer Steve and the boys in the band to ignore all of these, and concentrate on giving us more great WW2 stuff.

Edited by Warts 'n' all

4 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Personally I'd prefer Steve and the boys in the band to ignore all of these, and concentrate on giving us more great WW2 stuff.

I agree, however I do think it would be cool to see an Operation Unthinkable module for either Final Blitzkrieg or Red Thunder. It seems like it would be pretty easy to do, and would open up a lot of very cool what-if scenarios for us all to play around with. But its unlikely to happen, and I would rather they focus on larger more prominent conflicts than much smaller ones. 

Are we talking about 'dream projects' we don't expect to really see, or are we offering genuine advice on what BFC should actually finance and put up on sale? If its dream projects we could suggest, for example, Cuba versus South Africa in Namibia 1988-1991. But who beside six people would purchase that game? A title starting at Operation Torch and finishing rolling up the Afrika Corps in Tunisia in would be a whole 'nother kettle of fish. That would be a sellable product. Kursk would be a sellable product. Stalingrad would be a sellable product. But they're hardly original. The trick is coming up with a title both original AND sellable. That's a tough one.

Vietnam ended 41 years ago, at what point does the topic not feel like an open wound and instead becomes 'history'? It seems unbelievable now that the prison camp comedy 'Hogan's Heroes' would appear on air just two decades after liberation of the POW camps. 19 year olds who were in the camps would be 39 on series premiere. One of the actors in that show had been a child prisoner in Auschwitz.

16 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Are we talking about 'dream projects'

Combat Mission NTC 1980; I will pay money for that - but only if @Battlefront.com maintains their strict adherence to realism by making the 'Krasnovian' fighters able to deflect MILEs fire thanks to their diligence with shoe polish application.

;)

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

Are we talking about 'dream projects' we don't expect to really see, or are we offering genuine advice on what BFC should actually finance and put up on sale?

My desire for a Combat Mission: Fulda Gap (a cold war gone hot CM game set in the 1980's) has been and always will be top on my wishlist for a game that I hope they one day get around to making. It is one that I would genuinely advise BFC to make. I would easily pledge a decent chunk of change to help finance the project, and would likely buy a handful of copies both for myself and for some friends. 

My more recent comment about an Operation Unthinkable module/expansion is more of a dream project. I think it would be interesting, enjoyed by many in the community, and would be relatively easy for BFC to put together, seeing as all the units and maps are already, or are about to be added to the engine (for the most part). However I understand that this project is very unlikely, so I would categorize it as a dream project that I don't really expect to see. 

2 hours ago, Rinaldi said:

Combat Mission NTC 1980; I will pay money for that - but only if @Battlefront.com maintains their strict adherence to realism by making the 'Krasnovian' fighters able to deflect MILEs fire thanks to their diligence with shoe polish application.

Good grief that was funny! :lol:

5 hours ago, Blazing 88's said:

Not one of these tweak my fancy in any way...  JMO and just being honest.

Same here. Well...maybe I could get interested in the Spanish Civil War, but it would be way, way down on my list. One pet dream project of mine would be a family of games on the Arab-Israeli Wars 1948-73. I think that would even be very sellable, but it seems to be too much of a hot button issue for BFC to want to cope with the controversy that it would inevitably stir up. Another dream project would be the CBI theater. It definitely offers much of interest, but contrarily does not seem to provoke much demand, so maybe not sufficiently sellable absent a major customer education program.

Michael

10 hours ago, IICptMillerII said:

My desire for a Combat Mission: Fulda Gap (a cold war gone hot CM game set in the 1980's) has been and always will be top on my wishlist for a game that I hope they one day get around to making. It is one that I would genuinely advise BFC to make. I would easily pledge a decent chunk of change to help finance the project, and would likely buy a handful of copies both for myself and for some friends. 

This would be a dream game for me as well.

Okay, starting to get serious now, in more or less my order of preference:

1. North Africa 1940-43.

2 France 1940.

3. Arab-Israeli Wars 1948-73.

4. Barbarossa 1941

5. CBI Theater 1942-45.

6. Korea 1950.

7. Poland 1939.

I might add or delete items to that list, but that should be enough for getting on with.

Michael

Edited by Michael Emrys
Added an item.

My ideal list:

1- Pacific theater, tiny islands,  landings, jungles, too much infantry (including human waves) and very few tanks. It could be expanded to Philippines, Burma, Singapore, etc.
2- CM based on early years in the Eastern Front, Barbarossa - Stalingrad - Kursk.
3- Blitzkrieg (Poland 1939- France 1940)
4- North Africa.

4 minutes ago, DeutschRitter said:

I would like to have the ability to drop airborne on the map. Imagine a lot of airborne coming from the sky. Preplaned in the first turn with some inaccuracy. That would be a cool tactical thing in my oppinion :) 

This can...sorta...be done by the designer. Just pick a reinforcement group and give it a whole lot of little (one square) reinforcement zones all over the map. Make more action spot drop zones than there are squads/teams. Enjoy the scatter. ;)

5 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Okay, starting to get serious now, in more or less my order of preference:

1. North Africa 1940-43.

2 France 1940.

3. Arab-Israeli Wars 1948-73.

4. Barbarossa 1941

5. CBI Theater 1942-45.

6. Korea 1950.

7. Poland 1939.

I might add or delete items to that list, but that should be enough for getting on with.

Michael

I totally agree that North Africa should be #1.  It is such a pleasure to have a completely different theatre, weather and topography.  That's what I LOVE about playing CMSF as an antidote when I get burned out onr all the other Eurocentric CM2 titles.

After that I miss the capability of CM1 to play WW2 from the invasion of Poland to the end.  I understand the commercial realities that made BF start with the end of the war as the US was dominant (in the west at least).  But, I question whether the market will be there now for early WW2 game families.  I will be surprised if we ever see that era.  Very sad...

Spec titles could also include Taiwan - altho' that may be more of an air-naval struggle.  Air-Naval would also be the most critical arms in a Korea title.  Arab-Israeli would be very interesting.

1 hour ago, DeutschRitter said:

I would like to have the ability to drop airborne on the map. Imagine a lot of airborne coming from the sky. Preplaned in the first turn with some inaccuracy. That would be a cool tactical thing in my oppinion :) 

If you wanted realism, the first several hours of the scenario would be about getting the troops organized.  Scenarios currently start at that point when the troops are finally in some sort of order.  Not sure what parachutes would add other than eye-candy.

Edited by Erwin