CM games I'd like to see

Scipio

... and how likely I expect to seem them really.

1. 1940 Invasion of France. A really interesting setting and mix of forces/vehicels, since Wehrmacht don't have superior tanks. But CM never covered French forces, and there are no US forces involved. Low chance to see this game, but not impossible. 

2. Late World War 1 with first tanks showing up. Very unlikely. WWI titles are not very beloved, C&C is difficult cause units were much less flexible and there were few smaller scale actions. No tank vs tank battles. And WWI would require horses ;)

3. 1950s Korean war. Few really tank actions, it's Pacific front, it's not WWII, but also not hypothetic modern theatre. On the other hand, most heavy equipment is already in CM, US forces played a major role. 

4. Warsaw pact invasion of Western Germany. Very unlikely as far as I know.

What we will likely see next:

1) another Eastern Front title. My bet is Kursk 1943. But Balkan 1944, Germany 1945 or Stalingrad 1942 is possible, too. 

2) North Africa1941-1943.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really cool list! I have to say I support number 3 far more than the rest.

I would really like a Korean War or Vietnam War CM. 

I wonder if they should try to add an Afghanistan CM set in 2010 or 2011. I think that could be a nice addition to the Combat Mission Series. But might induce rage due to Taliban fighters picking off your Platoon Leader 3 minutes in ;)

But we'll just have to wait and see what Battlefront decides to do! :)

I would pay a great deal of money for Vietnam War CM.  Talk about the devolopers having to re-charge their batteries, the game would have to have nva reg, vc,tunnels for underground movement,boobytrap placement,all the various weapons, rpg, Sheridan and Patton tanks, napalm,rivers and river boats and of course the huey helicopter would have to be visually represented once on the map, for drop offs and pick up, and close air support.

I really want to see a mess of modules for CMBS and CMFB most of all.  CMBS has a mess of modern NATO forces that would make for a lot of fun stuff, and the Commonwealth/ultra late war US or German additions to FB have me most excited.

In terms of standalone games:

Fulda Gap 1989

Self explanatory.  I know CM's folks have commented on not being interested in it, but Combat Mission is likely the best vehicles to do that kind of game in my opinion. So sort of respect that Battlefront isn't obligated to make the game but would be excited if happened.

Philippines 1944-45

A good place to break into the Pacific during World War Two, the Phillippines offers more conventional CM type maps (urban, light woods, open fields) and unit types (both the Japanese and Americans actually had a lot of tanks and AFVs on hand for the battle, both used paratroopers, the usual leg infantry), while opening the door to more pacific fighting stuff (dense jungle, swamps, some of the weirder quirks of Japanese units and equipment)

Korea 201X

A lot would have to be semi-fictional given the actual weakness of the DPRK.  However there's a lot of regional players that have very interesting military forces (see ROK, Japan, or even China) and it could be used for a variety of scenarios like the following on a scale of realistic to pretty much Tom Clancy:

1. DPRK collapses and a coalition of regional forces deploys to deal with various warring enclaves and to secure WMDs.

2. DPRK uses a limited attack on South Korea to try to restore domestic unity and gain concessions from the world at large.  A US led coalition (mostly US-ROK-maybe Australia and European allies) counter attacks from the South to Pyongyang while the Chinese attack from the North to restore peace to the peninsula.

3. After a massive downturn in relations between the west and China over the South China Sea, China instigates a North Korean attack on South Korea as a spoiling effort/means to keep the west occupied.  The ensuing war takes the UN forces on the ground back across the Imjin, through the streets of Pyonyang, before China becomes overtly involved, leading to a massive slugging match leading to the final UN drive back to the Yalu, and an end of the Korean War, once and for all.  

19 minutes ago, panzersaurkrautwerfer said:

Fulda Gap 1989

Self explanatory.  I know CM's folks have commented on not being interested in it, but Combat Mission is likely the best vehicles to do that kind of game in my opinion. So sort of respect that Battlefront isn't obligated to make the game but would be excited if happened.

This will always be number one on my wish list. I understand that Battlefront wants to focus on either strictly historical (wars that actually happened) or plausibly fictional (wars that could happen in the near future). After all, there is still a ton of content to cover in WWII alone, and after finishing that they could go on to do Korea 1950 and a wealth of other historical conflicts. 

However I do hold out hope that once they have covered a greater majority of WWII, and after CMBS gets fleshed out more, they may take another look at a 1980s Cold War gone hot scenario. I'm personally willing to pay/donate a large amount of money to support such a title. Not only am I extremely interested in such a conflict, but I really think it would be the perfect time setting for Combat Mission. You get all of the large OOBs with fleshed out TOEs for both the East and West, and the forces are largely equal in capability (as opposed to CMBS where the US and Russia are a mismatch in favor of the US). You also get to use a lot of modern toys which is always fun, and I personally think that CM simulates vehicle combat extremely well, and such a conflict was going to be very vehicle heavy. Basically, the game would be like a WWII title with more modern equipment. 

As far as CM games that are more likely to be released soon, I'm very excited for early Eastern Front. Theres just something about 1941-43 that fascinates me as far as the war in the East goes. The scale of the conflict, and the fact that neither side (at least after Barbarossa) had a massive advantage over the other. By Bagration the German army was just delaying the inevitable, and you can feel it when you play. Also, early war vehicles are always fun as well. 

I'm very excited about the upcoming CMFI module. CMFI ended up being one of my favorite CM title, so I'm glad to see it expanded upon. 

I think that everything Battlefront makes has been awesome so far, so whatever it is that comes in the future I'm sure I'll love just as much. Just a matter of patience waiting for the things I specifically am most excited for. 

7 hours ago, weapon2010 said:

I would pay a great deal of money for Vietnam War CM.  Talk about the devolopers having to re-charge their batteries, the game would have to have nva reg, vc,tunnels for underground movement,boobytrap placement,all the various weapons, rpg, Sheridan and Patton tanks, napalm,rivers and river boats and of course the huey helicopter would have to be visually represented once on the map, for drop offs and pick up, and close air support.

I`ll second Vietnam. That woud be awesome.

15 hours ago, panzersaurkrautwerfer said:

Philippines 1944-45

A good place to break into the Pacific during World War Two, the Phillippines offers more conventional CM type maps (urban, light woods, open fields) and unit types (both the Japanese and Americans actually had a lot of tanks and AFVs on hand for the battle, both used paratroopers, the usual leg infantry), while opening the door to more pacific fighting stuff (dense jungle, swamps, some of the weirder quirks of Japanese units and equipment)

That should be No. 1 on my favorite list! The Pacific theatre is much more than island hopping! Another interesting scenario would be the Burma campaign. Unfortunately, BFC don't like the Pacific theatre.

Edited by Scipio

North Africa, Barbarossa or Kursk, France 40...  Whatever for CMBS.

A overhaul update for CMSF, that would hopefully still allow the use of existing scenarios /campaigns somehow.

CM:Battetech or CM:WWI (Air Battles).  Always wanted a 3D WEGO WWI dogfight war game, incorporating features from that mid 90's gem by Charles, Flight Commander 2 ..... :D

Edited by Blazing 88's

6 minutes ago, Blazing 88's said:

Thank goodness.

I originally wrote something nastier, but in keeping with being civil:

I have zero interest at all in another Eastern Front game, and very little interest in some sort of 1939-1941 game (mostly only in QB mashups of whatever weirdo early war tanks I could get my mitts on).  I would 95% not buy those games (as I've skipped all of the Eastern European iterations outside of CMBS, and I ultimately passed on CMFI).  But I recognize people would like those settings and there's reason to like those settings.

The Pacific is an interesting bit of history, full of opportunities for a good war game.  There's plenty of reason to hope for a CM: Pacific Rim or whatever, and "thank goodness" seems to be a bit snobbish in a way to react to the fact it's not quite your cup of maple syrup.  

9 minutes ago, panzersaurkrautwerfer said:

I originally wrote something nastier, but in keeping with being civil:

I have zero interest at all in another Eastern Front game, and very little interest in some sort of 1939-1941 game (mostly only in QB mashups of whatever weirdo early war tanks I could get my mitts on).  I would 95% not buy those games (as I've skipped all of the Eastern European iterations outside of CMBS, and I ultimately passed on CMFI).  But I recognize people would like those settings and there's reason to like those settings.

The Pacific is an interesting bit of history, full of opportunities for a good war game.  There's plenty of reason to hope for a CM: Pacific Rim or whatever, and "thank goodness" seems to be a bit snobbish in a way to react to the fact it's not quite your cup of maple syrup.  

Sorry, I would rather efforts were directed towards what I have suggested...  in my own greedy way.  :D

I'm not interested in Vietnam being gamed. 

WWII island hopping? Meh, need better caves and tunnels. How would a game like that be a different grind-fest than the battles themselves were? Shrug.

But, I'd love an early-war ('39-'41) series. Fulda Gap, with the Soviet tanks shrugging off Nato shells? Tres cool. North Korea, modern? All in. (Make it a NK supported by China, vs. US/SK/Japan kind of thing.) Again, need better caves/tunneling/subterranean modeling.

Luckily, I don't get to pick.

My dream of dreams is Israeli-Arab wars of 1967-1973 and the Korean War. BFC hasn't shied away from hypothetical campaigns in the historical titles, as Gustav Line for FI showed us, and to be fair to my own delusions a '67 title would almost certainly have to drift into the fantastic to get the ball rolling. Its probably way too sensitive and niche to be anything but fantasy ultimately.

I also don't think its very fair or accurate to deem the Korean conflict 'Pacific' in nature if we're using the common association there. If anything it would be quite a bit like Fortress Italy in terms of hilly terrain and head-to-wall smashfests for dominating ground.

Edited by Rinaldi

In between virtual tankheads like myself, Fremen wannabes (I'm one), folks who want post-WW2 stuff (count me in), and the fact that BFC has the majority of 3D models done, may I second Arab-Israeli Wars? I have great gaming memories from Avalon Hill's IDF, and the setting would really bring out the wrath of ATGM.

CMVT FTW! :P

30 minutes ago, weapon2010 said:

Just wondering why not?

...was the response to my, "I'm not interested in Vietnam being gamed."

I'd be interested in company vs. company fights, or larger. There were several regiment vs. battalion/company fights, and they have been exhaustively studied and analyzed. I really don't know how many, but if there were more than 2 dozen, I'd be surprised. (Owning up: it's been well over a decade since I read up on the Vietnam War.) AIUI, early, post-buildup phase, saw most of that. It seems that so much of the conflict involved patrol action with ambushes and fade aways. Kind of how modern Afghanistan would be hard to create an interesting game. Patrol, an explosive goes off, unit is pinned, takes some fire, as US support forces respond, enemy fades away. Death by a thousand cuts. (From the other perspective, waiting to spring an ambush and inflicting some casualties while not caring about own casualties is the other dynamic.)

Jungle with minimum visibility; brittle allies; mines/boobietraps; guerillas hiding in the populace...makes for a tough game (let alone real life). JMHO.

Ken

OK, here are my two cents.

WW2:

CM Storm of Steel

Year 1943 on the Eastern Front. Hundreds and hundred of battles, starting from Third Battle of Kharkov, Operation Citadel, Soviet counter offensives and Battle of the Dnieper. The German were still efficient on the tactical level so it would be a tough fight for both sides. That would be my number one wish.

Early War - Barbarossa and France

In general Barbarossa is  overrepresented in strategic and operational gaming and it doesn't excite me anymore, but in the scale of CM it would be very interesting because the Germans had often hard time defeating better Soviet tanks. Same can be said about the France 1940.

Post WW2:

CM Korea

I like the idea. It would pretty similar to WW2 but this conflict is virtually forgotten and I think it would work very well in CM scale.

CM Fulda Gap/Central Front 1985

I would be very excited to see that game. I mean c'mon - just look at that painting:

14495232_1232636493453522_77689785693349subir fotos online

CM Baltic Storm/Poland

High intensity, hypothetical conflict, a successor of CMBS. New nations including the Brits, Germans, Poles and Belarussians, again I'd be very excited to see that game.

Edited by Ivanov

6 hours ago, Machor said:

In between virtual tankheads like myself, Fremen wannabes (I'm one), folks who want post-WW2 stuff (count me in), and the fact that BFC has the majority of 3D models done, may I second Arab-Israeli Wars? I have great gaming memories from Avalon Hill's IDF, and the setting would really bring out the wrath of ATGM.

CMVT FTW! :P

IDF was a great game, as well as MBT. I would like to see Arab-Israeli Wars, 1948, 1967, 1973. '67 Would be interesting with Israeli M51 Super Shermans vs Jordanian M47s and M48s, or M48s vs the IS3. Good mix back then of modern (for the time) MBTs vs WW2 tanks (admittedly upgunned). North Africa would be nice, Spanish Civil War to France 1940 and the Balkans.

Just my 2 Quatloos......

Re: The Pacific

I picked the Philippines because again, it's got a lot more than small unit actions in the jungle.  The Battle of Manila would have been a memorable urban fight had it happened in the middle of Europe in terms of intensity and ferocity.  The re-taking of Corregidor via an airborne assault would make for an awesome set of missions.  There were massed armor engagements.  Much of the Philippines does fit the stereotypical deep jungle...but a lot does not, and would look almost like tropical themed versions of the maps we currently use.

Forces involved are also interesting, with paratroopers from both sides being involved (although only the Americans making drops), a large amount of tanks (including an entire Japanese tank division), enough Japanese air activity to merit their inclusion on the support roll up,  and Filipino guerrillas to make it lively.  Also happy fun party times with amtracks and amtanks (for those of you who don't know, picture a LVT-4 with either a Stuart or M8 Scott turret, and then add on something like the ACAV wing gunners for giggles).

Some people will just never be interested in the Pacific, and I get that, just as much as I'll likely pass on revisiting the Eastern Front.  But if you're going to pick a point of entry that plays well to CM's strengths, and gives a boatload of material to play with, let us return then, to the Philippines.  

Re: Vietnam

As correctly pointed out, there's enough force on force fights, that while the war was asymmetrical, you could easily get lost in some Ia Drang valley funtimes.

Re: Israel

I'd buy that for a dollar for sure.  I love tanks, and by golly there's some wars with enough tanks to go around.

1 hour ago, Ivanov said:

CM Baltic Storm/Poland

High intensity, hypothetical conflict, a successor of CMBS. New nations including the Brits, Germans, Poles and Belarussians, again I'd be very excited to see that game.

I'd be very down for that, although I think it might work just fine as a module for CMBS having seen how far CMBN stretched in terms of new theaters and hardware.  

I'd be very pleasantly surprised if we get another CMx2 base game.  However, I think that BF's plans for CMx2's future consists of adding modules/packs/upgrades to its existing games and that any venture into different subject matters would be saved for CMx3.

If by chance BF does have another CMx2 base game up their sleeves then I'd love to see it address:

WW2 North Africa, early Blitzkrieg, and Russia ('41, '42 or '43).

I'd also love to see an early Pacific game: Philippines/Guadalcanal/Malaysia/Kokoda/China-Burma-India.  I know BF has made it clear over the years that they have no interest in doing a Pacific game, but if we're just dreaming then I think the early Pacific or the CBI would work better for CM than the mid-to-late years when things really became lopsided and hopeless for the Japanese.  (Although Kohima-Imphal/Burma Road game might work for a later war subject. )

Overall, I'd purchase anything WW2 related that they release.  I would also grab a Korean War game if they made it, but that's not happening.

Vietnam?  Despite my Dad and two of my uncles being Vietnam vets, I have no interest in that subject.  I'd skip it if they made it.

Hypothetical Fulda Gap or similar subjects?  Not interested.  Never purchased CMSF or CMBS.  I just don't care for hypotheticals.

Edited by Myles Keogh

1 hour ago, Myles Keogh said:

I'd also love to see an early Pacific game: Philippines/Guadalcanal/Malaysia/Kokoda/China-Burma-India.  I know BF has made it clear over the years that they have no interest in doing a Pacific game, but if we're just dreaming then I think the early Pacific or the CBI would work better for CM than the mid-to-late years when things really became lopsided and hopeless for the Japanese.  (Although Kohima-Imphal/Burma Road game might work for a later war subject. 

I take exception to the lopsided though.  Strategically hopeless?  Certainly.  Perhaps even operationally.  But at the Combat Mission level of control, less so.  If we're talking about things being strategically hopeless, after 1943 or so, or at the latest, Summer of 1944 should be off the table for games involving Germany.