The detection of minefields

34 minutes ago, axxe said:

Glad the tables are helpful. When I encounter a new situation I try to do a bit of homework/training as I would expect to have received before becoming a commander ;-)

I have other tables that might be helpful.  Shall I start a new thread and post them?  Is there some official place where this sort of thing would go?

I guess a new thread would be good since we have strayed a ways off the original topic :o.  The CMFB forum will work since I think that's where your testing was done. Although the results probably apply across all the CM titles.     

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Statistically flail tanks only were able to clear 60-80 % of mines depending on the version. And, the Germans more and more were sewing conventional minefields with mines with wooden and concrete casing making them very difficult for magnetic mine detectors to find them. I think this is the reason why for the short time span allowed in the game, a minefield cannot be fully cleared.

Odd and somewhat unrelated incident from CM:SF; A squad of engineers in an APC on a hunt command drove right past (adjacent tile) an undetected mixed minefield and apparently successfully spotted it while doing so!  :o

No mines were triggered as far as I could tell, I was playing real-time so I have no way to check, but I couldn't see any obvious craters.  As I said, somewhat unrelated but I thought it might be worth mentioning as a curiosity.

Yeah, I get those a lot it seems.....Just tried Stepsons again (the new version this time) and had a serious outbreak of blind T-55MVs.   Bloody frustrating when a hulking great Challenger II rolls obliviously side-on at 40m (past the burned wreck of the one you took out at 50m) and your tank apparently just can't see it, despite the covered arc.  :rolleyes:

Against Veteran +2 Challengers you don't get a second chance.  :unsure:

Actually reflecting on that, it's just utterly ridiculous.....A Challenger driving straight past a ready and aware tank crew at a range of around 100ft without them ever seeing it. 

Not a case of 'they saw it and didn't get the gun laid', that I could just about understand, but just completely not seeing it.....They were waiting in ambush for it FFS.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

I was waiting for responses from play-testers (other than the snipers are too green). ;)

Had to edit the briefing again, had repeatedly written ANA instead of DRA out of habit.....Think I will run with it as a fictional campaign, if people enjoy the 'flavour', so to speak.

If you want an updated version with NO green snipers (on either side) a better briefing and slightly tougher opposition, send me a PM.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

10 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Yeah, I get those a lot it seems.....Just tried Stepsons again (the new version this time) and had a serious outbreak of blind T-55MVs.   Bloody frustrating when a hulking great Challenger II rolls obliviously side-on at 40m (past the burned wreck of the one you took out at 50m) and your tank apparently just can't see it, despite the covered arc.  :rolleyes:

Against Veteran +2 Challengers you don't get a second chance.  :unsure:

Actually reflecting on that, it's just utterly ridiculous.....A Challenger driving straight past a ready and aware tank crew at a range of around 100ft without them ever seeing it. 

Not a case of 'they saw it and didn't get the gun laid', that I could just about understand, but just completely not seeing it.....They were waiting in ambush for it FFS.

Obviously, the oily smoke coming off the first one at 50m has totally obscured the optics! Gotta get out with some rags and wipe off the glass. Oops, too late.  ;)

The smoke was blowing the wrong way for that.  :mellow:

It's one of those things I guess, but when you are taking on veteran Challenger IIs with T-55MVs, these peculiar outbreaks of insanely bad luck really don't help one little bit.  :( 

Mebbe some of those 'outliers' need a bit of reigning in?  ;)

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead