"Action on lanzerath ridge" great vs Ai

Ok, finally managed to sit down and play a few more games vs the AI in this game.

Yes, I sure am not one that can play through all the Scenarios in the first week of the game released (Its called a job and having a Life)

I just wanted to post that this battle is excellent to play vs the Ai as to you taking the  Germans and trying to assault the Hill.

I love the fact that it is pretty Historically accurate, it made me go back and read a book I had that had the events of this battle.

Playing as the Germans you will be tested as to if you are skilled enough to make this attack actually work.

The Ai Limitations do not show up much in this battle since they are dug in and just need to fire on your advance. So you almost get as good of a challenge as if you were playing a real person.

Playing on Elite I found it a hard task. Managing to clear the objective with only 3 minutes left.

It was hard to get a fire base along my lines that could keep the enemy pinned down. My assaulting group had to use good fire and advancing tactics to progress up the left flank. 

It was not until I managed to get them part way up the hill and close enough that they could add enough firepower to create the pinning fire required to create the situation where a true advance and assault with all my units could take place. Anyway- a really enjoyable task.

For those of you that find this too hard and lose, then you have a excellent scenario to practice your tactical skills on until you manage to do this task..

There is many players that struggle with proper fire and move skills when they play. This scenario is a perfect tool to learn to improve them skills on.

Cool.  That is great to hear.  Sounds like you did pretty well.  During testing the Germans did not do well very often.  As you said this is based on historical events and the German commanders did very poorly in their first two attempts to assault the hill (this scenario depicts the first attempt).   The US AI does actually have some smarts so if you did manage to get close on one side of the hill forces form the other side will shift positions to shore up the side where the Germans are attacking.

Hey you guys spolier way too much!

But I have to agree, this one is great fun!

Now on to some bragging: I managed to win this one as Germans, first time played - against a Human player. B) (honestly, when I saw my Company, I didn't expect to pull it off)

spoiler - really. 

Not much to give away in this battle.

The enemy is dug in on the top of the hill at the woods line, you figure that out right from the briefing and the small map..

No time to cheat and out flank the AI for something it is not prepared for. So you need to attack as is the intent of the mission.

So, a perfect battle to force players to test what they are capable on as to assaulting a dug in position.

As for the AI being able to shift, that is neat that it is programmed into the AI , did not see that in the battle. ( by the time I was close enough to trigger anything like that, if they left their holes they were dead or pinned almost immediately.) I am still amazed on how well at times the Ai does manage to do some realistic actions though.

A few enemy units did mange to leave their fox holes move back deeper in the woods find a little cover and managed to return fire and cause more problems and get a man or two.

3 hours ago, slysniper said:

spoiler - really. 

Not much to give away in this battle.

LOL yeah the briefing pretty much spoils the whole thing.

3 hours ago, slysniper said:

A few enemy units did mange to leave their fox holes move back deeper in the woods find a little cover and managed to return fire and cause more problems and get a man or two.

That was the TacAI just doing its thing.

Yes, this was a good one. I just got done going through it for the second time. The first time I was able to get one ridge, an just needed  few more minutes to sweep the objective. I was really hoping for some variable time, but I lost to the clock. My mistake was trying to cross where the distance of the open ground was shortest, but lost too much time moving through the woods to the assault point.

The second time things went much better having installed a grid mod, and altering the plan. I didn't let the enemy MG's breath at all with continued area fire entire game which I think is really the key to winning this one. The Germans certainly have enough MG 42's and ammo to do so. I found the subtle dips in the terrain with the grid, and just used the ASSAULT command to cross over and take the ridge. It went pretty much text book. This looks like a good one to play real time too.