Russia Passes Sweeping Terrorism Laws..

The backdoor keys are tame to the order that EVERYTHING be stored from internet for several months and I believe a few years for voice calls.  Trillions of dollars bill as well.

Wonder if Putins Russia stronk man side will win and theyll cut this down for armatas or if Putins KGB officer Russia stronk will win and there ll be less Armatas so everyone can listen to everyone elses recordings.

I simply dont know how the hell the Russians are gonna pay for this

2 hours ago, Sublime said:

The backdoor keys are tame to the order that EVERYTHING be stored from internet for several months and I believe a few years for voice calls.  Trillions of dollars bill as well.

Wonder if Putins Russia stronk man side will win and theyll cut this down for armatas or if Putins KGB officer Russia stronk will win and there ll be less Armatas so everyone can listen to everyone elses recordings.

I simply dont know how the hell the Russians are gonna pay for this

The PSTN Carriers already maintain records for US callers.  I occasionally need to make requests for call records.  I am not sure how far back they go.  As to monitoring calls.and privacy, you can forget that.  The core of the telecommunications infrastructure is SS7 and it is pretty compromised.

https://hacked.com/exposing-mobile-ss7-fragility/

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/19/ss7-hack-explained-mobile-phone-vulnerability-snooping-texts-calls

The ACLU has done some good work trying to clarify how long consumer data information is retained in the US.

https://www.aclu.org/cell-phone-location-tracking-request-response-cell-phone-company-data-retention-chart

Ugh ya people cant win. The question of course goes back to whose policing the police. 

Just like if the police did an illegal investigation on me theres good odds Id never even know or prove they broke a law.

Of course I knew that cellphones and phones etc are compromised especially if the US government wants to investigate you. I already knew about certain library requests or searches online flagging you. And that they have ways of retrieving even deleted stuff from hard drives. And of course theres a persistent urban legend (or is it?) That saying certain words on the phone would or will trigger recording. Whether theyre recording all phone calls? I wasnt aware that they were but what a friggin gargantuan task. The only real chance at privacy is just by the sheer magnitude of what theyre doing. Unfortunately that cuts both ways too and very bad people are also able to have their privacy..

Sburke dude... do i wanna ask what you.re doing for work nowadays? Or should I be worried lol

Edited by Sublime

just a voice engineer, but being in that dept means if the company gets subpoenaed they have to come to my team to find out what call records we keep ourselves (in company call detail recording (CDR) is used primarily to factor capacity requirements for additional circuits etc still we can within limits figure out who called where and when, but we can not record) and to reach out to the carriers we use if they need mobile or other records.

I also handle our international circuits and infrastructure.  We have offices in over 50 countries so you get to see a lot of different regulatory stuff.

Sublime,

Was unaware of this and appreciate your posting it. No wonder they have Dosug! Article is at bottom of link you gave. Stasi, using at least some US gear, had more comprehensive surveillance (in part because 1/4 of the population informed) of the East German people than the KGB did of Russian people, and the technical means of surveillance are now veritable light years beyond the best Stasi ever had. Here's hoping our Russian CMers don't get themselves into trouble when the draconian new measures go into place!

sburke,

Wasn't aware of the VoIP issues and clearly have some reading to do on other matters. Also, since you're here, I wonder whether you'd care to comment on a scenario I saw in "House of Cards." In it, the evil Frank Underwood, who's been having an affair with and using a young investigative reporter, persuades her to delete the texts of their now dead relationship, prior to shoving her in front of an arriving Metro train. Her newspaper boss and friend then infiltrates a phone company data center and is on the verge of downloading the archived texts when discovered and arrested. Is this credible as to text storage and retrieval? He had a thumb drive directly plugged into a server when caught.

Regards,

John Kettler