Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Finding and IDing Some of Russia's 4 Million GPW MIAs

In making one of my rare FB forays, I chanced upon a post I'd made detailing the remarkable, heart-warming, yet disturbing story of a group which finds and identifies the remains of a few of Russia's 4 million GPW MIAs, then passes word to their families for proper burial. Why disturbing? Read the BBC article!

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-25589709

This is a related piece, and it contains video which might not be good to view while eating, by small children or maybe at work. BBC did a full doc called "Burying the Past," and I believe the video is an excerpt.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-25495740

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Thanks for the post. I saw that work once before related to researching an archaeology project of mine. I was curious about war remains on American soil:

100,000+  Number of Civil War Union corpses found in the South through a federal reinterment program from 1866-1869
303,356    Number of Union soldiers who were reinterred in 74 congressionally-mandated national cemeteries by 1871
0               Number of Confederate soldiers buried in those national cemeteries

War is indeed Hell. Documenting the losing side is difficult but well worth the effort for historians. 

Kevin  

kevinkin,

Was happy to do so. Appreciate the ACW numbers. Also, I forgot to mention earlier that HE can simply blow a man into mist, leaving nothing to identify. Ken Tout described this matter of factly in talking about how seeing the carnage from interdicting German infantry with MG fire at Normandy (covered a hedgerow gap opening to a road) was nauseating the crew, whereas HE made the struck Germans go away in a pink mist, leaving no mangled bodies.

LongLeftFlank,

Prokofiev I get. Alexander Nevsky I get (clip of appalling quality). But why in Italian? Weird to say the least! She sings beautifully and is beautiful (looks rather like Lucy Lawless in Xena). Thanks for introducing me to a new piece of moving music, though I confess I couldn't extract a single word of what she sang. As for the 75th anniversary of the commencement of the GPW, there can be but one song. The Sacred War. Lyrics here, in both Russian and English. Judging from the repeated references to the soul, and some oddments I recall reading, it would appear that Communism, as personified by Stalin, decided the rigorous application of its tenets could be loosened slightly in favor of the morale improvement  and combat fervor conferred on the frontoviki by the Russian Orthodox Church.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler