Friendly mine fields

I am playing a scenario in CMFB that includes mine fields in the initial setup.  I don't know if they are anti-personnel, anti-vehicle, or mixed.  In any case, is it safe to move men and vehicles through a friendly mine field, or do they risk detonating the mines as the enemy would?  Another way to ask would be, do mine field know which side they're on?

Yup, you'll need to mark it, but you'll know where they are. Just like IRL; You'll know where your mines are, but you wouldn't mark safe lanes through a minefield at the very frontline until shortly before it's time to move through it.

You should be able to read what sort of mines they are if you select them by clicking on them during the set up phase.

1 hour ago, Anthony P. said:

You'll know where your mines are, but you wouldn't mark safe lanes through a minefield at the very frontline until shortly before it's time to move through it.

Of course. But if you are the attacker in this battle, it is reasonable to assume that the mines should be marked before play begins. If that is not being done, then it is an oversight. The counter-argument might be that if you are attacking, why lay mines in the first place, or at least place gaps in the minefield for your own troops to move through?

Michael

Its been so long since I played with mines I had to go check. -_-

'Friendly' mines come pre-marked. You can see the red skull & crossbones mine markers for your own side (but the opponent can't). If you want to make a 'clear path' through the mine field you'll need a couple terrain squares separating the mines because the buried  mines around that sign extends farther out than you think! You don't want to get too close and inadvertently step on one.

If you're making an actual scenario you can paint a 'terrain objective' just for the hovering text that says 'AT mines' (or whatever) and select "known to player' so only you can see the hovering text, not the opponent. I recall back in CMSF I placed 'suspected enemy mine field' landmark text over a plowed field. because half the advantage of planting a mine field is in having the enemy know its there!