Foxhole setup?

19 hours ago, weapon2010 said:

Anyone having trouble to actually getting your guys in the foxholes?I have 5 and 6 man squads, 4 foxholes in a set up. I place my unit on top and 3 or 4 will go in and  the other 2 will not go in with empty remaing foxholes left, quite annoying.

I don't have enough observations to claim that I have this definitely nailed down, but it seems to me that the more recent games are better in this regard. The thing that you describe used to bug me too, but now I am seeing the troops more sensibly arranging themselves in the available foxholes. BTW, you might try giving them a facing command. If you get them pointed in the right direction, they are more likely to arrange themselves properly.

Michael

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

The question is whether all the men in a foxhole "hex", regardless whether they appear in or out graphically, receive the foxhole bonus?

19 minutes ago, weapon2010 said:

yes, good question

Yes, Excellent question.  Since troops are hit individually my guess would be the guy outside of the foxhole would be more likely to be spotted and hit than his buddies who are in the foxholes.  However I don't really know and I'm not even sure of a good way to test it.  @Vanir Ausf B was recently involved in a conversation about ATGs / foxholes / trenches and he is a veteran tester so Vanir may have some insight on this one.   

I really don't. Trenches convey a small concealment bonus on AT guns while foxholes do not, but that may be because the gun itself does not fit in a foxhole and have nothing to do with the positioning of individual crew members. 

4 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Has anyone tested the effects of sandbag walls on spotting and protection? That seems to have been left out of the discussion. All I know is that in playing scenarios against them, I usually spot them before I spot their occupants, which seems sensible to me.

Michael

I have conducted no tests but do use sandbag walls fairly often with AT guns.  They definitely offer significant protection.  They are really great against direct fire and even do something for mortar or artillery fire (anything falling in front of the position -> they offer protection, anything that falls behind or right on its no help - duh?).  I have absolutely no idea about visibility mainly because I try to place AT guns in positions that offer key hole firing.

Edited by IanL

10 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

"Defiantly" huh? :D I am picturing gun crews giving the finger while shouting imprecations at their enemy. Beautiful, just beautiful.

Yep exactly.  I wish I could adjust the animation to reflect this but I just do not have the necessary skills. :)

Spell check only works if you can read...

2 minutes ago, IanL said:

Spell check only works if you can read...

Brief digression: You got that right. I once saw an example of a paragraph in which every word was the perfect spelling of a normal English word, but none of them had anything to do with what the author was trying to say. Proofreading is still absolutely essential.

Michael

Unless it was altered in a patch, am pretty certain that sandbags are eye candy only.  Hope I am wrong.  Also re foxholes, I assumed that the limitations of the engine meant that a squad couldn't be squeezed into foxholes when in RL they would, but that all members of the squad would receive foxhole protection regardless of where they appeared to be.  At least that's the way it should be.

28 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Unless it was altered in a patch, am pretty certain that sandbags are eye candy only.  Hope I am wrong.

You are. There has been no change that I am aware of they work fine just like they always have.  But they are not any better than a wall against mortar or artillery fire - if the round lands on one side, your guys are somewhat protected and if the round lands on the other side, not so much.  I like them for help against direct fire that is where they help a lot and for AT or AA guns they add quite a bit to their protection.

As I've pointed out before, fitting a squad into 1 square's worth of foxholes has nothing to do with any engine limitations. It's to do with the teams of squads spreading out over multiple squares, regardless of the circumstances. Just split the squad, and tell all teams individually to occupy the same set of foxholes.

• 1 month later...