New CMBN Campaign: Operation Clipper:The Geilenkirchen Salient

Ok I think its time to release this beast for public consumption. Below are the recent adjustments and fixes based on playtester suggestions.

1. I have found the save game issue and fixed. I had  some " : " in the file name it did not like. The " : " has been destroyed and you should be able to save in the middle of a mission.

2. Added additional time to all missions as requested.

3. The troops of SRY have been corrected and now include Lille Fiskerby's beloved Sherman Fireflies. (Thank you Lillie for pointing that out.)

4. Also added a few more historical names to CO's of various units. Still could not find enough info to name all of them.

5. Corrected briefings where changes were made.

6. Made force adjustments in some missions based on tester suggestions. Some additions and some reductions. But the OOB is still historically accurate for all the missions based on my research.

7. Added setup zone to one mission that was omitted.

8. Made a few terrain adjustments to improve LOS in some missions.

9. Adjusted some VP parameters in a few missions.

Thank you to all the playtesters who helped me with this campaign.

If any other issues come to light please let me know through this thread or PM and I will correct. Hopefully most everything is right now. This was a huge undertaking and my first truely historical campaign so I hope it proves enjoyable.

IMPORTANT: Before downloading please reread the opening section of this thread for the campaign details. This will not be for everyone. Its big, maps are big, everything is big so it may task older systems. It will require patience and management. But if you stick with it you will play through a little known but important battle of WW2.

Here is the link to the main download

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2qw0u84mojuz40v/Operation Clipper.zip?dl=0

Put the modfolder into your dataz and delete the .cam file.

Here is the link to the updated .cam file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/884hj2mo7ullzgy/Operation Clipper.cam?dl=0

Place this into your campaign directory

I hope you enjoy.

Michael

Edited by dragonwynn

Fired this baby up and there may be a problem or two(?) 

The first mission "Briefing" should more accurately be described as "Designer Notes" and I didn't see any actual "Briefing" as to what the player is supposed to do. 

More importantly, when I got to the first mission 3D map I get two tanks on a completely flat featureless map.  :(   I hope this is due to some issue on my end.

On the plus side, the designer notes at the start of the campaign explaining historical situation was well written. 

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

Fired this baby up and there may be a problem or two(?) 

The first mission "Briefing" should more accurately be described as "Designer Notes" and I didn't see any actual "Briefing" as to what the player is supposed to do. 

More importantly, when I got to the first mission 3D map I get two tanks on a completely flat featureless map.  :(   I hope this is due to some issue on my end.

On the plus side, the designer notes at the start of the campaign explaining historical situation was well written. 

The first mission is what I called a phase mission. It is designed to give you only information on the Campaign as it progresses from a broader point of view than just the individual mission briefs. There are 4 of these phase missions and each one has 3 actual missions tied to the particular phase of the campaign. (It is all explained at the beginning of the thread as well as the designer notes at the campaign beginning.) Just cease fire at each phase after you have read the info and it will take you to the first mission in that phase of the campaign.

I wanted to give as much info on the real campaign as possible and figured it would be a different way of doing it.

Michael

You may still want to rename some of the "Briefing" comments as "Designer Notes".  The one before the first mission gives historical BG and has nothing to do with a "Briefing" and its confusing. 

It's also recommended that you put instructions like the ones you posted above in those Designer Notes, so that the player knows what they are supposed to do next.  It's way too much to expect players to carefully examine notes and/or threads outside of the game itself to figure out your intentions - esp when you are attempting something completely new and non-intuitive.  You will find that most players just want to get into the "action" and may only later return to read up on the historical details.  Make it easy for players to get into your campaign, not unnecessarily complex. 

Sorry for the confusion, I will make a note of that. Everything in the thread here is in the designer notes at the beginning of the campaign. It is a exact copy and gives the instructions about the phase missions as well as which missions are involved with each phase. Each phase (4) has 3 missions for a total of 12 missions in the campaign. The phase briefing gives you a update on what is happening before the next set of missions begins, an overview of the big picture so to speak and each mission will have its own briefing for that particular scenario.

The Phase missions are kind of like a in game PDF of campaign information. That way all the historical info as well as the individual mission specifics can be seen without leaving the game. This was just a experiment to do something a little different to include more historical stuff to immerse you in the campaign a bit more. Once again sorry for the confusion. I may just remove the phase missions altogether in a later update if others are having the same issue.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhhhh, finally! I solved the "München-Gladbach" riddle. Thanks to Wikipedia!

When I restarted the campaign with the "final" release, I stumbled over your "München-Gladbach" again and suddenly realized, that you refer to Mönchengladbach. I normally just call it Gladbach, that's why it did not occur to me right away. And with the Wikipadia article, it became clear then: Between 1888 and 1960 the official name was indeed "München Gladbach". Note, it is officially spelled it without "-".

The funny thing is: The name was changed in 1960, to avoid confusion with Munich (München)....

The "München" or "Mönchen" by the way, refers to Moncs (Mönche) living there since 974.

I'm very glad that you decided to post this campaign for us to try! The mod pack as well is spectacular, really helps add to the immersion, so thanks for that too!

I'm in the process of reading "The Men of Company K" right now and was happily surprised when I saw this thread on the forums. Its really very cool to be able to read about a battle and then play it out in CM. Living history.  

I have not yet beat your campaign, but so far I am having a lot of fun with it and haven't come across any glaring issue. I'm also trying to pace myself, and keep the campaign and book somewhat in sync. 

A quick note of praise; the maps are fantastic! Map creation is at the very least a time consuming and frustrating process. The maps in this campaign are not only very large, but historically accurate. Its really quite the achievement. I consider it to be 'Battle Pack' worthy, especially considering the mod package you've included. 

Thanks again for the hard work, and for bringing the Railsplitters to (virtual) life!

Edited by IICptMillerII

• 5 months later...