New CMBN Campaign: Operation Clipper:The Geilenkirchen Salient

Mission 2:"The woods at Rischden".

SPOILER !

You start with one Inf. Coy and get one Inf. Coy, a carrier Platoon and 2 x tanksĀ later.

You have to go through a wood with one Coy, it turns out that their is two german Inf. coys in the wood with several HMGs, that is almost impossible to do in 70 minutes.

I lost the first time I played it which ended the campaign, second time I avoided the wood exept for touching the OBJ. in the wood.

I suggest you use a smaller german force in the woods and move the HMGs further back into more open terrain where their range benefit them.

Maybe add more artillery to the player, BTW nice to use the carrier pl. again nice firepower in that platoon.

Maybe also add more time to the mission, on to the third mission now.

6 hours ago, Lille Fiskerby said:

Mission 2:"The woods at Rischden".

SPOILER !

You start with one Inf. Coy and get one Inf. Coy, a carrier Platoon and 2 x tanksĀ later.

You have to go through a wood with one Coy, it turns out that their is two german Inf. coys in the wood with several HMGs, that is almost impossible to do in 70 minutes.

I lost the first time I played it which ended the campaign, second time I avoided the wood exept for touching the OBJ. in the wood.

I suggest you use a smaller german force in the woods and move the HMGs further back into more open terrain where their range benefit them.

Maybe add more artillery to the player, BTW nice to use the carrier pl. again nice firepower in that platoon.

Maybe also add more time to the mission, on to the third mission now.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look at adding the additional time as well as some unit adjustment. I thought I might be a little heavy in the woods but the taking of the woods is important to securing Rischden. I may have to add some additional point objectives there.Ā 

Mission 3: "Prummern"

SPOILER !

Beatiful map and very intense battle but:

The germans can see your setup area so they can call arty down on your setup area which is wrong in my opinion please lower elevation in the setup area.

70 minutes for the entire mission is to little time considering you have to take a farely large urban area and reinforcemants arrive a little to late, maybe 5-10 min. earlier will help a lot for the player, it takes time to get reinforcements forward through the minefield (even if its marked you still has to be careful in the minefield) and ready to support.

Maybe add some US Battalion mortars to support ?

This ends phase I and its been fun, intense and interesting: I like the scale of your campaign, you have to doĀ a lot of micromanaging to win the missions but thats great in my opinion. The maps are beatiful but the time in the missions could be a little longer but thas just me others maybe prefer it as it is.

If I may comment on the TOE, you could add the Essex Field Art. Regt. it was 8 Armd Bde arty with 24 x Sexton SPGs, each armd regt had one battery attached.

15 minutes ago, Lille Fiskerby said:

Mission 3: "Prummern"

SPOILER !

Beatiful map and very intense battle but:

The germans can see your setup area so they can call arty down on your setup area which is wrong in my opinion please lower elevation in the setup area.

70 minutes for the entire mission is to little time considering you have to take a farely large urban area and reinforcemants arrive a little to late, maybe 5-10 min. earlier will help a lot for the player, it takes time to get reinforcements forward through the minefield (even if its marked you still has to be careful in the minefield) and ready to support.

Maybe add some US Battalion mortars to support ?

Thanks very much Lille. All these suggestions are very helpful and I will look at the elevation in the setup area. The area was mostly flat in the vicinity of Prummern so I can't do to much but should be able to hide the units. I will definitely look at adding additional time. That's something I still struggle with is judging the needed time in a given scenario.Ā 

Michael

1 hour ago, verulam said:

Hi Dragonwynn,

Ā 

Is it too late to get involved? Ā I have been paying too much attention the FB.Ā 

I would welcome the chance to get my teeth into this campaign.

Ā 

Cheers Verulam.

Thanks Verulam to . I've got a few people testing it out now and I am making the adjustments as I get the feedback. I should release it soon if you want to wait on that or I can send you the beta to try out. Let me know.Ā 

3 hours ago, Lille Fiskerby said:

Phase 2 begins - Mission 4: "Roadblock at Bruggerhof".

Nice little defense mission that works just fine. One thing to note, the 4.2 inch mortars need a forward observer team to call the mortars in.

Historic names:

SRY 2 i/c - Robin Leigh or Robin Lord Leigh

SRYĀ Recce Troop CO - Ian McKay.

Noted and will be added. Thought I had added that in

22 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Can't wait to start up CM2 again and play this.Ā  Decided to not re-install CM2 into my new Win 10 computer, but wait for my old Win 7 machine to come back upgraded.Ā  So, another week or so...Ā  :(Ā 

Are you having troubles with Win 10?Ā All the CMx2 titles have played fine for me on Win 10.

8 hours ago, dragonwynn said:

Thanks Verulam to . I've got a few people testing it out now and I am making the adjustments as I get the feedback. I should release it soon if you want to wait on that or I can send you the beta to try out. Let me know.Ā 

Can I try the beta please? Thanks for this.

Ā 

Ā 

Mission 5: "A hard days night"

Another defense night mission but onĀ a lager scale than mission 4.

SPOILER !

German assault from 2 directions on Prummern with tank support: and about the tanks I would wait moving them into town before more infantry arrive, just 5-10 minutes then it will be much harder to knock them out.

You chose the CO and 2i/c from SRY as the 2 tanks for the armour protection, I would not use them both in the same mission up front, maybe 2 Fireflys from 1 troop ?

One ATG ammo bearer and one mortarĀ section HQ are in the wrong setup areas.

Maybe give the VG battalion some StuGs or something like that to support them.

1 hour ago, Lille Fiskerby said:

Mission 5: "A hard days night"

Another defense night mission but onĀ a lager scale than mission 4.

SPOILER !

German assault from 2 directions on Prummern with tank support: and about the tanks I would wait moving them into town before more infantry arrive, just 5-10 minutes then it will be much harder to knock them out.

You chose the CO and 2i/c from SRY as the 2 tanks for the armour protection, I would not use them both in the same mission up front, maybe 2 Fireflys from 1 troop ?

One ATG ammo bearer and one mortarĀ section HQ are in the wrong setup areas.

Maybe give the VG battalion some StuGs or something like that to support them.

Thanks Lillie. I will look at the advance time for the German armor as well as the wrong guys in the setup. The actual battle involved just the 6 German tanks so I want to hold off in adding additional Armour. Also the Sherwood Rangers had pulled out most of their Armour to be refitted and refueled with only a small force left in Prummern. At least from the sources I used.Ā 

Thanks for the great feedback as I have already incorporated the suggestions in the updated file.Ā 

Michael

Mission 6: "The assault on Geilenkirchen".

SPOILER !

The most important first, this map is a masterpiece, one of very best I have seen in CM, well done Dragonwynn.

About the mission:

The player receiveĀ no 25 pdrs. in the mission, realy missed them.

The player is up against several Panthers but still no Fireflys ! some should arrive 45-50 minutes into the mission.

The briefing says 84th recon but its SRY recce troop thats in the mission.

The german bunkers is to isolated, I suggest put them all more closely to each other with trenches connecting them and some infantry inĀ support.

A trend in your deployment is to bring the german infantry on a single line, that is to easy to call artillery in on and attack from the sides, why not make some T, L or V shaped trenchlines with interlocking fields of fire to protect them ?Ā 

Considering its mostly urban fighting I suggest at least 10 more minutes to complete the mission.

Ā 

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note for those who are testing this. I found a huge glitch on the mission The Valley of Death. Apparently I must have made a map size adjustment (though I don't recall it) that threwĀ all the Germans out of position. This is being corrected and will be right in the release version. So if you play this and you are wondering "what the hell is that German doing out in the middle of the field" that is the reason lol. They are happily back into their correct holes.

Also it appears that when you try and save during a uncompleted mission it throws a save error. I have no clue what is causing this so if anyone has an idea please let me know.

I should be releasing this very soon. I have incorporated nearly every suggestion that the testers who have responded have made and am waiting to see if any other suggestions come forth. For those who did the testing thank you very much. It is a huge campaign and I was not expecting it to be tested all the way through. Hopefully there will be no more glaring bugs.

Michael

Some ideas for mission 7 + 8:

SPOILER !

Mission 7: Please add setup zones as the tigers can see infantry and vehicles at the first turn, and I want to select ammo from vehicles before start.

Mission 8: To many germans, you have to cut their force in half, its Battalion against Battalion on a small map its to much german firepower. It takes to long to call in 25 pdrs. so add FO-team and more 25 pdrs.