A Massively Late & Probably Futile Appeal

I'm new around here, so please forgive me if this is out of order, but I just wanted to make a very late, somewhat forlorn and probably futile appeal for a patch adding exit zones to CMSF.....This simple change would literally rejuvenate this fine game from a scenario design perspective.  While I know BF are focussed on other things, I'd imagine the work involved would be fairly minor and it really would breathe new life into the title. 

New gamers are moving onto the virtual battlefield all the time, I only acquired the CM2 & CM3 titles quite recently myself (despite owning and playing all the CM1 titles for well over a decade) and I only actually bought CMSF on a whim, but it's rapidly become one of my favourites (just behind CMA) as it offers the option for asymmetric warfare scenarios (and it's actually better at it than you give it credit for).   The one weak spot is the inability to get your combatants completely out of the firing zone before the serious heat arrives.

Please, please give this idea some thought, there is still interest in this long established and already popular title and this minor change would, I suspect, vastly increase it at very little cost to BF.....Which surely can't be a bad thing, can it?

PS - I was gutted that CMRT didn't feature Partisans, especially considering their contribution to Operation Bagration.

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

54 minutes ago, Erwin said:

It's been talked about on these forums for years.  But, only the rare pronouncements that it is being thought about from BF/Steve mean anything.

I think it has been two years or close to that now, but the last time I can recall Steve mentioning it he seemed enthusiastic. I think they mean to do it, but at the moment there are several projects ahead of it in the production line.

Michael

I'd be much more impressed by a simple and free patch adding this one small feature than I would by shelling out another $55 on a full game (not that I wouldn't buy it of course, I've bought everything else).....It's easily implementable, Exit Objectives are available in CMA and IMHO they are essential for any game featuring Uncons. 

C'mon BF you can do this.....It'd be a doddle, money for nothing as they say, existing players get a better game, which refreshes interest and increases sales.....Simples!  B)

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 5:44 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The one weak spot is the inability to get your combatants completely out of the firing zone before the serious heat arrives.

Combatants are capable of hiding in plain sight, depending on their activity, and the 'Civilian Density' setting of the map in question.

If you hold fire, and use only standard move orders, you might be able to simply walk away from an engagement.

19 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I'd be much more impressed by a simple and free patch adding this one small feature than I would by shelling out another $55 on a full game (not that I wouldn't buy it of course, I've bought everything else).....It's easily implementable, Exit Objectives are available in CMA and IMHO they are essential for any game featuring Uncons. 

C'mon BF you can do this.....It'd be a doddle, money for nothing as they say, existing players get a better game, which refreshes interest and increases sales.....Simples!  B)

According to ChrisND (comment made during an old live stream), the planned update for Shock Force (whenever it's made), will update the existing game to the version 3.0 game engine, with all of it's attendant features.

Judging by the price of previous engine upgrades, I would say this will probably run in the $40 price range, given that it would basically be a v2.0 and v3.0 upgrade combined.

That being said, we probably won't see this until next year at the earliest, if we do end up getting this at all. I hold out hope for a "10 - Year Anniversary Edition".

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

If the original game can be patched to the newer engine I'd probably be happy to pay that sort of sum.....Is that what you are suggesting or am I misreading you?

Yes, as I understand it from various comments made over the past years, that was the plan, a straight-up game engine upgrade.