River of Blood

What a great scenario vs the AI. It is like a puzzle to solve, tricky LOS and a well defended town to seize. Got to keep calm and do things in the right order (I didn't...) Excellent design. Lived up to its name, that is for sure. Managed a marginal victory in the end.

*Spoiler alert*

Yeah I had a lot of difficulty with this scenario as well.  I was a little bit frustrated by the LOS for my tanks.  I attempted to flank one of the Shermans with a Panzer only to have my Panzer not see the Sherman because of some tree/hedge then sit there while the Sherman turned around and took it out.   Combined with a lucky bazooka shot from ~175m, I was practically out of armour.  I tried unsuccessfully to get some panzershrecks in position to take out the thanks.  At that point, I decided to call off the attack rather than throw away the 60% of my infantry who were still alive. 

I am usually getting my butt kicked by the AI but managed to get through this one somehow through good luck (not skill, I suspect) and won a major victory. 

Spoiler...

I ran around the left flank and approached along the river - got lucky not bogging anything down.  I do not remember my complete casualty numbers but I did loose 1 Stug and both Pz IV.  I was doing well against the Shermans and troops in town, but had a little surprise from across the water.  

I wish the scenarios had ratings - newbie to expert - but then again if this one is causing others problems I must have just gotten really lucky and may not have even tried it if it were rated expert.  I tried mission 2 in the CMBN courage and fortitude again after this one, put me back in my place really quick (I so hate that mission, but am determined to beat it someday!).

• 2 weeks later...
On 9.5.2016 at 1:16 AM, Atago said:

I am usually getting my butt kicked by the AI but managed to get through this one somehow through good luck (not skill, I suspect) and won a major victory. 

I tried mission 2 in the CMBN courage and fortitude again after this one, put me back in my place really quick (I so hate that mission, but am determined to beat it someday!).

You get stomped by the AI?
 Lt.Col. Pauldings (ret.) will help you out of your misery! In my eyes by far the best wargaming tactics tutorial I've seen so far. What is especially interesting for you is the fact that he discusses Mission 2 of 'Courage and Fortitude' in detail! (Oh, it still was a nigthmare but I managed it) I just use the opportunity to re-post it for newcomers to find - spread the wisdom, you know? :)

Best regards

Morbo

Courage & Fortitude is an xnt "reality check" campaign when you think you've become good at CM2.  Also, the final or maybe penultimate campaign mission is excellent - one the best CM2 battles ever imo.  You get a battalion+ of inf plus a reinforced company of armor, plus lots of support, assorted vehicles and arty.

13 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Courage & Fortitude is an xnt "reality check" campaign when you think you've become good at CM2.  Also, the final or maybe penultimate campaign mission is excellent - one the best CM2 battles ever imo.  You get a battalion+ of inf plus a reinforced company of armor, plus lots of support, assorted vehicles and arty.

Yes but you have to endure the "School of Hard Knocks" and "Razorback Ridge" scenarios on the way to it.

On 20.5.2016 at 9:30 PM, Erwin said:

I hated that last mission. My battalion was already bled white and I still had to take that goddam town.

This was a reality check in more than one way: it was a vivid lesson in history. After it, I really started to grasp what the human cost of war means. Sending your men through that cover-devoid marsh against HMGs and then over that goddam ridge, and watch helplessly while they get torn to shreds by mortar-barrages and machinegun-fire told me more about the damage dealt to humans in war, physically and mentally, than 15 years of documentaries and books could.

Spoiler

Went around to the right away from the river and looped back into the town. Always a risk with mud but it paid off. Going straight in via the roads to try and cut the town in half is asking for trouble as one of my Panzer IV's found out. :P By the time the reinforcing Shermans and infantry showed up on the far bank the town was largely mine except for a couple of hold infantry hold outs and I had a StuG gunline overlooking the river and exposed far bank. Became a bit of a turkey shoot against those poor reinforcing Shermans.

On 20 May 2016 at 9:48 PM, Kommissar said:

..."Razorback Ridge" scenarios on the way to it.

*shudder*

Hard knocks I could deal with albeit at a high cost, but Razorback Ridge was just so ridiculously stacked against you I gave up on the campaign after less than 10 minutes.

• 1 month later...

just finished this scenario last night and it's been a great experience.  Some very tense firefights with some wonderful game engine touches, such as a Pz IV receiving a penetrating round at the very top of its front turret, with the crew luckily surviving (although I think they have now dubbed the gunner 'Lefty')  and panicking off for a while then rallying and re-manning the vehicle later in the game.  Panzermike has constructed a very crafty setup and you will be challenged for sure.  

Edited by PIATpunk

• 9 months later...

Well, this is the first time I see somebody have it relatively easy in Han-sur-Nied :) You had a tougher time in Singling.

Your playing style is very systematic, conserving your forces carefully. That helps in a scenario like this. I do not have the patience for that. That is why I usually have my ass handed over in many scenarios, heheheh

Thanks for putting it up on youtube like you did with Singling!

23 minutes ago, Ts4EVER said:

In part it was probably luck, for instance the tank duels could easily have gone differently, especially the first one.

I thought the same thing actually. It was a big roll of the dice and it worked out. Sometimes in this game, we need to take chances, but I always ponder how I can minimise the influence of luck on the result. Maybe you could have used smoke to advance down that street?

I haven't played the scenario myself, so it's easy to give advice :)

Edited by Bulletpoint

On 18/04/2017 at 1:47 PM, Ts4EVER said:

Hi,

I've recently started a video aar series of this scenario.

Nicely shot videos. Much better to just watch the action rather than a lot of laborious movement plotting. I'll check out your other stuff. What terrain mod were you using?

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:58 AM, PanzerMike said:

Well, this is the first time I see somebody have it relatively easy in Han-sur-Nied :) You had a tougher time in Singling.

Your playing style is very systematic, conserving your forces carefully. That helps in a scenario like this. I do not have the patience for that. That is why I usually have my ass handed over in many scenarios, heheheh

Thanks for putting it up on youtube like you did with Singling!

I was very impressed with the video, and I was particularly impressed with the spacing and pacing of the squads and tank movements.  "Don't just do something, stand there" can be, I think, a good mantra in CM2, as the spotting algorithm operates--and probably was the case at the time.

I am the opposite with regards to pace, perhaps to slow.

I seldom use scout cars as scouts, because they are so fragile, and large--so they can easily be destroyed without even seeing what his them.  At the CM2 scale, if we already sort of know where the enemy is, than I figure their job is done and they should mostly retire--sort of like the threads on half-tracks.

Hence, I would have missed that "overrun" experience on the scout squad--which was amazing, and appears realistic, to see.

It would have also "killed" me to walk those platoons over open field to the town--I am not sure that I could have given the command.  As it turns out, a mortar unit would, purposefully I am sure, have made staying in place with the two platoons and sending out a 2 person scout team a losing decision.  I am conflicted, but also interested, when a scenario is built to seemingly challenge the "usual" decisions--I likely would have brought both platoons toward the center.

In all, the video shows to me a very subtle and sophisticated scenario (and, one of its excellent solutions), with a nice small, manageable mix of forces.  The Panzer IV is my favorite tank, from 41 to the end of the war.  This video may have induced me to buy this module.

Edited by Rankorian
clarity