Jump to content

When Will the Physical Copy Be Delivered?


Recommended Posts

There is already another thread on this topic, in which it was posted a week or two ago that for unspecified reasons it was thought that the disks would be released in early May. Well, here it is early May. But I am wondering if production of the disks is being held up so that they can incorporate the changes embodied in the yet to be released patch. I don't know if that is something that BFC would do, but it would strike me as a judicious move.

Michael

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Michael Emrys said:

There is already another thread on this topic, in which it was posted a week or two ago that for unspecified reasons it was thought that the disks would be released in early May. Well, here it is early May. But I am wondering if production of the disks is being held up so that they can incorporate the changes embodied in the yet to be released patch. I don't know if that is something that BFC would do, but it would strike me as a judicious move.

I just got an e-mail today from Battlefront.

 

"Subject: Battlefront.com has sent you a package

"This message was sent to you at the request of Battlefront.com, to notify you that they have shipped a package to you. For details about your shipment or to track your package, please refer to the information below."

 

 
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sttp said:

I just got an e-mail today from Battlefront.

 

"Subject: Battlefront.com has sent you a package

"This message was sent to you at the request of Battlefront.com, to notify you that they have shipped a package to you. For details about your shipment or to track your package, please refer to the information below."

 

 

Aha! I will henceforth be keeping a closer eye on my mailbox. Thanks for the heads up.

Michael

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys,

I got mine today by Priority Mail. It consists of the game disc in its portrait format polyethylene shell, the CMFB Game Manual and the Combat Mission Game Manual Version 3.01. I found the painting/rendering on the game package and the CMFB Manual somewhat off putting, for the net effect was that it's so blurry you'd think your eyes are defective, with almost nothing in focus. In fact, I seriously considered this might be a printing registration error. The King Tiger looks okay until the gun barrel, which is so distorted, possibly by motion blur, to the point that its perceived bore is about 6" and looks as though, judging from the way the blast flare goes, to have suffered a muzzle brake failure. I believe the intention was to show the tank and infantry coming out of the fog and under fire, but I'd say the concept didn't come off as hoped. These attackers have to be SS--two 60 mm mortar bursts practically atop two soldiers, yet there is no evidence whatsoever of weapon effects on them! The logo and other verbiage are all razor sharp. The back of the game box has text and very clear small screenshots. Frankly, I wish BFC had used a nice screenshot on the front instead of what we got. Naturally, this is all about viewer first impressions, not gameplay! 

The Game Manual is now, like the Game Engine Manual, in gray scale. Regret to say that the contrast ratio has dropped considerably over what the CMBS Manual, which was in color, had, making it harder to read the various UI and unit panels.

Regards,

John Kettler

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see stuff is arriving!  This is one of the shorter gaps between release and physical shipping, but it would have been even shorter gap if the printer hadn't had some internal issues (dunno exactly what, but uncharacteristically slow!)

On 5/9/2016 at 7:24 AM, John N said:

Michael I talked to an inside source who did confirm that all of the preorders had went out by yesterday. I have still not received a notification though. Back to CMFI for a few more days.

For some reason a whole bunch of email address didn't get registered in the output file.  Not sure why, but definitely got in the way of everybody getting email confirmations.  Still, if I didn't manually confirm your order shipped (sounds like I might have ;) then send me a PM with your order number and I'll triple check.

4 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Guys,

I got mine today by Priority Mail. It consists of the game disc in its portrait format polyethylene shell, the CMFB Game Manual and the Combat Mission Game Manual Version 3.01. I found the painting/rendering on the game package and the CMFB Manual somewhat off putting, for the net effect was that it's so blurry you'd think your eyes are defective, with almost nothing in focus. In fact, I seriously considered this might be a printing registration error. The King Tiger looks okay until the gun barrel, which is so distorted, possibly by motion blur, to the point that its perceived bore is about 6" and looks as though, judging from the way the blast flare goes, to have suffered a muzzle brake failure. I believe the intention was to show the tank and infantry coming out of the fog and under fire, but I'd say the concept didn't come off as hoped. These attackers have to be SS--two 60 mm mortar bursts practically atop two soldiers, yet there is no evidence whatsoever of weapon effects on them! The logo and other verbiage are all razor sharp. The back of the game box has text and very clear small screenshots. Frankly, I wish BFC had used a nice screenshot on the front instead of what we got.

Art/beauty is always in the eye of the beholder ;)  I personally think it's one of our best covers ever.  There's a difference between graphic design for marketing and historical accuracy, so it is what it is.

4 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Naturally, this is all about viewer first impressions, not gameplay! 

Viewer first impressions is generally playing the game :D  Only a tiny percentage of our customers get a physical only copy.

4 hours ago, John Kettler said:

The Game Manual is now, like the Game Engine Manual, in gray scale. Regret to say that the contrast ratio has dropped considerably over what the CMBS Manual, which was in color, had, making it harder to read the various UI and unit panels.

Noted.  I personally found the contrast to be quite good, but my eyes are still holding out OK so it's probably easy for me to say that.

Steve

Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve,

I was quite surprised to have apparently gotten mine first in this thread, for I believe I barely made the Pre-Order deadline. Unless no one who did Pre-Order before me lives closer than the middle of the country, a premise I highly doubt, then I think there was probably more than just some glitch with notifications being sent. Art is, and ever shall be, subjective. But surely you're not saying I'm one of these? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beholder_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)#/media/File:Beholder_(D%26D).JPG

Nah, for that would require initial capitalization!  Fair point regarding the paucity of physical only copies. If you put the CMBS and CMFB manuals side by side and look at the data panel for an AFV, for example (I did), you'll see there's a significant loss in contrast and crispness. Any chance someone with good eyes could clone me a set and send them over, for mine clearly aren't all that hot with more challenging visuals?

Regards,

John Kettler

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoMc67 said:

I will wait until the 1st Patch (out of many that will come out, I'm sure) is incorporated into CD before ordering...So, will wait a few months. 

Joe

same here and until it´s cleared up whether CMBN will be left with the broken V3.12 patch or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

same here and until it´s cleared up whether CMBN will be left with the broken V3.12 patch or not.

Huh?  You got me here... what's broken about v3.12?  I do quite a bit of the tech support tickets and besides people borking their install, which is always fixable, I am unaware of anything that is "broken".

Steve

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JoMc67 said:

I will wait until the 1st Patch (out of many that will come out, I'm sure) is incorporated into CD before ordering...So, will wait a few months. 

Joe

Oh, you won't have to wait that long :)  However, you might want to wait a week or two after v1.01 comes out to make sure we've depleted our v1.00 CDs.  "Just in time" production means we run through them MUCH quicker than in the past (sometimes it took months or even years!), but we don't throw out perfectly good disks just because something newer is out.  It's not logical since the disk is frozen in time and we are not.  Even if you wait for v1.01 there will be a v1.02 and probably something beyond that.  No different with anything else software releated.  For example, today I got a new laptop and I have to do a 1.6GB update just for the OS.  It's just the way it goes.

v1.01 is a tiny download anyway.  Looking to be 20-30MB or there abouts.  Amazing how small patches can be when we don't have to update big art resources or scenarios :D

Steve

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Huh?  You got me here... what's broken about v3.12?  I do quite a bit of the tech support tickets and besides people borking their install, which is always fixable, I am unaware of anything that is "broken".

Steve

Apologies. Thougth that went through Beta testers channels any time.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Apologies. Thougth that went through Beta testers channels any time.

 

It did, but it is obviously a bit of an exaggeration to refer to a small bug (one that has been around before, but no one noticed) as game breaking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Apologies. Thougth that went through Beta testers channels any time.

 

I think AKD sorta got it right...

46 minutes ago, akd said:

It did, but it is obviously a bit of an exaggeration to refer to a small bug (one that has been around before, but no one noticed) as game breaking.

"A bit of an exaggeration" is being kind :)  If any random bug were enough to declare a particular release "broken" then I'd say that every single release we've ever made, since 2000, has been "broken".  There's *always* something wrong with *everything* we release, sometimes serious sometimes not.  In the case of the mortar bug I'd put it down as "relatively minor" in the grand scheme of things.

"Broken" = game won't work at all or is unstable or there's something wrong that is so serious that general gameplay is not as it should be.  In the case of the mortar bug I'd put it down as "relatively minor" in the grand scheme of things.  It's a specific combo of things which is not routine.  First, you have to have concrete bunkers, second you have to have 81mm mortars, third someone has to use said mortars on said bunkers.  Obviously a problem for a scenario with concrete bunkers and 81mm mortars, but doesn't even come close to rising to the term "broken".

Steve

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was speaking of the V3.12 patch beeing "broken", not the whole game. If a patch introduces a bug, whether new or old one, how should I call that instead? To me it´s serious enough to make an almost finished scenario, exactly relying on mentioned features now unplayable. Anyway...I just wanted to know if there is another patch (of the patch) in the works. And btw. it´s not just mortars. Anything coming down from high in the air, whether 2" mortars to artillery shells, finds its way through concrete pillboxes walls. Not always (maybe 25-30%), but if enough shells are put into the vicinity, you can wipe out pillbox crews within a couple of minutes. That wasn´t the case until V3.11.

Link to post
Share on other sites

No change in my opinion :)  Bugs are often introduced in patches.  A very, very, very limited circumstance bug does not rise to the definition of "broken".  Obviously you have a very special case that is affected by this bug, but that means your scenario is "broken" not the patch nor the game itself.

We do not have v3.13 in the works at the moment but we will get this fixed.  Currently we're about to put out v1.01 for CMFB.

Steve

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...