Another HBO series on WW2 a la BoB and the Pacific - About the 8th AF

Sublime

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the opening credits are nonsense. Kassel, critical? Eh, not so much. Nazi Germany's largest military assembly complex? Eh, not so much. 18 seconds in, and it's not looking good.

60 seconds in - there's a tad more than 65 bombers out that window.

77 seconds in - two B-17s ... what are they, making baby B17s?

135 second in - gee, that's a lot of smoke coming up from Kassel, given there were only 65 bombers ...

140 seconds in - seriously? That's their idea of what flak looks like?

Okay, well, I've about lost the will to live here. Hopefully they've turned the trope on its head and shown all the worst bits in their trailer. Otherwise this seems like another Pearl Harbor or U-571 in the making.

Edit: did the Eighth even attack Kassel in 1942 - I can't seem to find any evidence they did?

Edited by JonS

I welcome any and all stuff like this. But I do agree with Jon that what is shown in this trailer is disappointing from a grog's perspective. The vast majority of people who might see this would have zero idea that anything was less than authentic. Still, I'm happy to see things like this come out, even if some of it might make people like us cringe.

I make no claims as to the accuracy of this info, but according to several sources I found on the 'net Kassel was indeed struck starting in 1942. Here's one

Kassel Raids

It is not an actual trailer and is over 3 years old, rather more like a low-budget concept trailer of what the movie could be like.

The footage was put together by Hydraulx, the special effects company formed by Greg & Colin Strause (SKYLINE, TAKE SHELTER). The film has yet to be shot with the script out to cast and making its debut at AFM, so this is a unique peek at not only the proposed film, but how it’s being sold in the early stages.

Edited by akd

9 hours ago, landser said:

... that what is shown in this trailer is disappointing from a grog's perspective. The vast majority of people who might see this would have zero idea that anything was less than authentic. Still, I'm happy to see things like this come out, even if some of it might make people like us cringe.

Well, IMO it's not just about cringeworthiness, it's the active perpetuation of really dumb ideas. BoB and The Pacific were so good mainly because they were so understated. There was violence, and gore, and attention to detail, sure, but it was very far from every episode being another installment of Sgt Rock. FFS, one ep. was almost entirely about the freaking medic, and his quiet heroism and devotion to duty was far more affecting than any number of clean shaven, lantern jawed pilots squinting into the sun and snarling "here they come" as 5,000 Messerschmidts come swooping down with cannons blazing :rolleyes:

I make no claims as to the accuracy of this info, but according to several sources I found on the 'net Kassel was indeed struck starting in 1942. Here's one

Kassel Raids

Yeah, I found that too, and if you look at it it seems that all the raids before Sept '44 were by the RAF's Bomber Command, not 8th AF.

3 hours ago, JonS said:

Well, IMO it's not just about cringeworthiness, it's the active perpetuation of really dumb ideas.

I have to agree with Jon here. I watched the trailer and to me it almost looked like a poor attempt to make a video game without any serious research into the subject. I truly hope they do better with the eventual show, although frankly I am a little tired of hearing about the 8th. Air Force. Hasn't anybody in movieland ever heard of the 15th. or the 12th.? They are plenty interesting if not on the same scale. And then there was the 9th., which is a marvelous tale all by itself.

Michael