Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Flames

engine has far more important problems than fire. some of them were mentioned and i'd add that we still don't have movement in formation for our squads which is absolute basics of any infantry combat. yet you want fire? at this stage, i'd say it is no more than an eye candy as it should be.

1 hour ago, mbarbaric said:

engine has far more important problems than fire. some of them were mentioned and i'd add that we still don't have movement in formation for our squads which is absolute basics of any infantry combat. yet you want fire? at this stage, i'd say it is no more than an eye candy as it should be.

I have zero issues with moving my forces in formation. Moving in formation is very possible there just isn't a 'move in formation' button that would make the process easier.

Fire however is missing completely from the game. And fire in my option plays quite a large role on many tactical battlefields. The game is poorer for its omission. 

I have to agree with niall there. "Ease of use" improvements which provide shortcuts for doing what can already be achieved by micromanagement come way down the list after actual features that can't be wangled round. Apart from UI improvements, which are pretty high up there. But changing the setup zone markers to a graduated outline isn't something that can be finagled either, not even by a mod.

Actually, you can also abuse the lack of fire. Sometimes I have been able to defend at locations with wheat fields because I know the wheat prevents LOS unless you advance into the kill zone. That's a really tough nut to crack in the game, whereas in reality, a bit of fire would have removed the wheat (and made plenty of smoke to cover the attack).

But I agree with those who argue that there are more important things to improve and fix before adding crop burning. Building fires should be in, though, especially now that we have flamethrowers. Not only for immersion, but also because you would have to think before lighting a house on fire - you would also deny it to your own troops.

On 20/04/2016 at 8:32 AM, niall78 said:

I fired up CMBB a few years ago. It was probably my most played game of all time. Thousands of hours over years in a time before kids. I found it virtually unplayable. 

I agree, very fond memories of all the CM1 games but as soon as I load one up all those fond memories disappear!!