A Muddy Affair vs the AI

It was a great battle and a stern test even against the AI. The mud was an enemy in its own, disabling 5 of my tanks. So I had to settle with a draw. IIRC correctly there was a CM*1 scenario called "Knifefight at Singling", or was it located somewhare else?

Wow, 5 tanks immobilized :huh:

How did you manage that?? You are the first one to experience this so far. Were you doing drag races with them in the fields? Or just plain old bad luck?

I can't remember the CMx1 scenario; have not had a running copy in 10 years. But it does not surprise me that it was included. It is a classic after all.

45 minutes ago, PanzerMike said:

Wow, 5 tanks immobilized :huh:

How did you manage that?? You are the first one to experience this so far. Were you doing drag races with them in the fields? Or just plain old bad luck?

I can't remember the CMx1 scenario; have not had a running copy in 10 years. But it does not surprise me that it was included. It is a classic after all.

Plain bad luck I guess, but I did take some chances by straying off the roads to get into town from different angles. Also had a couple of "bogging" that didn't get immobilized.

The CM*1 scenario I think was community made. Anyone remember?

Nice pictures.

Those are my burning tanks.  I did go across country to get to the side road into the town.  While I did not loose any tanks to full immobilization they bogged frequently.  After crossing that field I tried to stay on the road after that.  Not that it helped any.  Getting that Panther from behind was sweet but I lost a lot more tanks the @Bud Backer did (including the one that bagged that Panther - about 15s afterwards too IIRC).

I have not tried this one.  I still fairly regularly get my ass handed to me by the AI so I'm probably doomed from the start.  I did reasonably well at the river of blood though so who knows?  

Googled battle of Singling... some rather amusing responses in the images.  Battle of Sing Ling shows up - not quite the same thing.

Lurking in a cupboard I found my old (hand written) records from CMx1... It turns out that I played "Singling Shootout" five times at different levels against the AI..

Five Axis Total Victories resulted. The Allies Four defeats and just one Draw. I suspect that when I get around to "A Muddy Affair" things will be pretty similar.

- Great images as always Bud Backer. 

I have to add my voice to the folks praising the scenario designer of 'A Muddy Affair.'  I just finished my first slogging run through, and it is a excellent map in all respects.

It was a great tactical challenge, with the AI acting and re-acting in a way that felt very dynamic, along with formidable and well thought out defensive positions.

The map itself was carefully built, in a way that felt authentic and lived-in (with a few troublesome nooks and crannies as well). 

So far, I have to say that FB designers seem to be making the most of the tools the BF engine provides and taking it to the next level, with this map as the perfect example.

Well done and thanks. 

5 hours ago, M.J.H. said:

- Great images as always Bud Backer. 

I have to add my voice to the folks praising the scenario designer of 'A Muddy Affair.'  I just finished my first slogging run through, and it is a excellent map in all respects.

It was a great tactical challenge, with the AI acting and re-acting in a way that felt very dynamic, along with formidable and well thought out defensive positions.

The map itself was carefully built, in a way that felt authentic and lived-in (with a few troublesome nooks and crannies as well). 

So far, I have to say that FB designers seem to be making the most of the tools the BF engine provides and taking it to the next level, with this map as the perfect example.

Well done and thanks. 

Thanks, M.J.H. regarding my images. 

PanzerMike made an amazing scenario - it was fun to play, yes, but also visually I like the map, it was a showcase of the autumn colours the game offers, and a very believable terrain and town. 

• 2 weeks later...

PanzerMike,

I posted some screenshots and a story of sorts in the screenshot section here for the battle at Singling.

I absolutely loved the map.  It was so well made.  I was down at ground level most of the time and felt immersed in the town, running from building to building.  It was great.

I lost 4 tanks to immobilization from bogging.  I did swing some of them off to the left flank.  One bogged and was immobilized almost immediately.  I used very short hunt movements for the tanks, and most of them seemed to do okay with that when driving off the road.  I saved one that was bogging by reversing it out of the bog area and then moving in a different direction. 

I managed to eek out a tactical victory.  Cpt. Leach survived the battle.  The AI was a challenge and as my infantry got whittled down, I found myself clearing buildings with one or two men.  It was very nerve wracking.

You did a really sharp job on this one. 

Heinrich505

Thanks for the kudos there Heinrich (and others)! It always nice to hear the experiences from players. Especially good experiences of course :)

The moment a scenario is published is really exciting. After having poured in many hours of work into it (together with the playtesters of course!), you have to let go and have the players have their way with it. And you really, really hope you got it right and people enjoy it.

Playtesting of course gives an indication if the scenario is enjoyable, but still, if you get some confirmation from the players themselves that they think you did a good job, it gives a feeling of relief of some kind. 

Again, thanks for that and I hope you enjoy the other scenarios as well.

Edited by PanzerMike

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Ts4EVER said:

I decided to make a Youtube series out of it, but so far not much has happened:

Interesting that the Jagdpanther didn't react at all while it was shot at and destroyed (24:40). Seems a bit like one of those issues with spotting around corners...

Edited by Bulletpoint

Ha! Very nice to see this comparison. I never played FH2, but it looks great. Good map!

Making the CM Singling map I had to work within the engine limits. So, it could never be entirely accurate, but I think I got as close as reasonably possible. I try to capture the essence of the lay of the land, but permit a few liberties here and there if I feel it works better within the game. Too bad there are no manure piles in CM :D

Your map is more accurate in some respects, but it is a different engine of course.

I look forward to the day the realism and detail of CM is combined with looks similar to the BF2 engine (or even better, the refractor 2 engine is pretty old by now). Not that CM2 looks bad or anything, it really doesn't, but you know what I mean :)

Thanks for making the videos, I enjoyed them.

• 1 year later...
On 4/17/2016 at 7:55 AM, PanzerMike said:

Not easy to get it exactly right in the game, is it? Share your muddy adventures, I really would like to know if mud is currently handled well by the engine in your opinion.

I just played "A muddy affair".

Lost 3 tanks to the mud, and the strange thing is: All 3 were lost on the edges of roads. I also cruised other tanks around the countryside, sometimes through hedges and walls, but none of those tanks were immobilized.

Are road edges worse for bogging than regular terrain?

I thought the roads were supposed to be the safe routes, and going off-road was risky?

Edited by Bulletpoint