Newbie q: best first Combat mission to get? Normandy bundle?

Hi,

I'm sorry if this has been asked man times before (I couldn't find it going through the threads earlier). I'm keen on buying my first Combat Mission game but unsure if the differences between the games in CM2 are purely the periods they take place or the maps smaller and less dense/populated? 

I like the Normandy period but looking at videos it looks like it's quite small maps and less 'dense' than say red thunder which looks very good. I understand that Normandy has been upgraded to the latest engine version but unsure if this doesn't change things like existing maps perhaps still are fairly small in comparison to later released games? 

Again, sorry if this has been asked many times before :) I'd like to find out what may be the best first Combat mission to buy? Is The Normandy bundle exceptionally good? 

Edited by inexus

I would say first of all play the demo(s), then buy the game that covers the time period you are most interested in. You don't need to buy any bundles.

About size of maps, you can also find Normandy maps that are big. But due to bocage terrain, many Normany maps are somewhat infantry centric, and even small maps can be a pain in the neck to fight in. So yes, it might only be 500mx500m but getting from one end to the other will take time and good tactics, especially against a human opponent.

Edited by Bulletpoint

1 hour ago, Bulletpoint said:

buy the game that covers the time period you are most interested in.

I think this is the best advice. Normandy was my first CMx2 game, and I chose it based on 3 reasons

-- Western Europe is my favorite theater, by the slimmest of margins as I am interested in everything WW2. 

-- Most user made content, especially campaigns

-- Most in-game content, as I bought the big bundle

I can't do better than Bulletpoint's advice, so I will only say +1, though I would change 'time period' to 'theater', or theatre if that's your bag.

I don't feel there is any correlation to map size based on which game you buy. It's purely down to the mission designer.  While again Bulletpoint's comment about the restricted nature of the bocage is a good one, and surely does influence the overall size of some scenario maps, you will find small and large maps in any of the games of the Combat Mission series.

Edited by landser

I don't know that it has more vehicles, it might. But it does have the most advanced vehicles in the series, like Jumbos and Jagdtigers that you won't find in other titles.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the games honestly. FB is full featured, but will take some time to percolate before it can match the content in CMBN with the big bundle. Bottom line is it won't matter which game you get if you don't end up liking Combat Mission. And if you do like Combat Mission you will get them all :)

@inexus bear in mind that bocage scenarios represent only a fraction of those available for CMBN at this point. Both the base CMBN game and the CMBN:CW module have a reasonable number set outside the bocage region of France, and for the CMBN:MG module practically all of them are set in a different terrain type. The full CMBN suite also now has a vast range of forces, force types, vehicles available, and terrain localisation. Far more than CMFB yet has.

Edited by JonS

Thanks guys. Appreciate the very helpful community here! I will get the Normandy bundle. I hope it will continue to be updated to the latest engine changes, especially if they are starting on version 4 soon. 

I got gtos and look forward to more detailed control over the units. I've put that aside and am using more time on steel fury these days. 

52 minutes ago, inexus said:

...will get the Normandy bundle. I hope it will continue to be updated to the latest engine changes, especially if they are starting on version 4 soon. 

That's the commitment BFC have made, and, to date, honoured. I personally don't see them reneging on it. It's probably good at least until they decide that CMx3 has to be done, and depending on architecture and platform, there might even be an upgrade path to that (though it's not something they've ever committed to and is really only an outside chance).

4 hours ago, JonS said:

@inexus bear in mind that bocage scenarios represent only a fraction of those available for CMBN at this point. Both the base CMBN game and the CMBN:CW module have a reasonable number set outside the bocage region of France, and for the CMBN:MG module practically all of them are set in a different terrain type. The full CMBN suite also now has a vast range of forces, force types, vehicles available, and terrain localisation. Far more than CMFB yet has.

I meant if he just bought the base game without the modules. Then he would find most maps and scenarios that come with the game deal with bocage situations.

On ‎14‎.‎04‎.‎2016 at 0:18 AM, inexus said:

Hi,

I'm sorry if this has been asked man times before (I couldn't find it going through the threads earlier). I'm keen on buying my first Combat Mission game but unsure if the differences between the games in CM2 are purely the periods they take place or the maps smaller and less dense/populated? 

I like the Normandy period but looking at videos it looks like it's quite small maps and less 'dense' than say red thunder which looks very good. I understand that Normandy has been upgraded to the latest engine version but unsure if this doesn't change things like existing maps perhaps still are fairly small in comparison to later released games? 

Again, sorry if this has been asked many times before :) I'd like to find out what may be the best first Combat mission to buy? Is The Normandy bundle exceptionally good? 

At present, if your interest is in NW-Europe 44-45, IMHO, there is no better deal than the CM:BN Bundle and Vehicle Pack. You get all the Normandy, Northern France, Lorraine, Market Garden and Siegfried Line Stuff from 06/44-09/44. Basically hundreds of gameplay opportunities. As for units: You get everything american, british, canadian, polish, german WH, german SS, german LW and even german Marine units. CM:FB might be a good follow up, as soon as it includes the commonwealth units and expands the time frame to VE-Day.

Edited by DesertFox