Umlaut´s quick-snow mods

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

Thanks for the fabulous mods, Umlaut.  I had a thought that if you name your mods starting with your name like "Umlauts whatever" rather than "Snowy whatever by Umlaut" then they all group together in our mod folder under "U" for Umlaut.  (Just makes mod management easier.)

And if Umlaut added this as his signature line, noobie folks like me would be absolutely stunned by his sheer volume of work!  :P Just sayin!

Umlaut's frackin amazing Mod collection!

Hi

Unfortunately, I've stumbled into a problem/bug regarding these snow mods, so I'll hold work on them for the time being.

Here's my report in the tech support forum:

11 minutes ago, umlaut said:

I come across a really annoying problem with mod tags:

I really like the game's stock vehicles - except I think they look too "clean" in snowy conditions in games before 1945. That is why I have made snowy versions of all the US vehicles (so far)

All these vehicles of course have the mod tag [snow] in the end of the file name, but now I have come across this problem:

Whenever I now load a snow scenario with a 1945 date only the snowy vehicles show up - never the whitewashed ones.

The manual clearly says that the whitewashed one should load in scenarios with a date from january 1st 1945 - but the [snow] mod tag seems to override this.

And this is bad, because I really prefer the whitewashed vehicles to my own snowy ones - but I'd rather not have to shuffle my mods in and out of the mods folder, depending on the date of the game.

Is there some kind of workaround - or is this a bug to be fixed?

Important update!!

As mentioned above, it turns out that modtagging the vehicles [snow] has a rather unfortunate side effect:

The [snow] modtag somehow overrides the [whitewashed] modtag.

This means that these snowy vehicle mods will replace the [whitewash] vehicles in the games with a date of january 1st 1945 or later. Normally, all vehicles would be whitewashed in snowy ground conditions after this date. But since the [snow] modtag overrides [whitewash] this will not happen for these vehicles.

I am not at all happy about this, as I think the whitewashed vehicles in FB look great. Unfortunately this a game code thing I cant do anything about.

There is a workaround that I have used myself, though. But it takes some time. Here's what I've done:

1) Go to the data directory in your game and copy these four brz files:

final blitzkrieg v100c.brz
final blitzkrieg v100e.brz
final blitzkrieg v100f.brz
final blitzkrieg v100g.brz

2) Put each folder separately into your rezexplode input folder and the explode the file

3) Use a bulk renaming software (I use Bulk Rename Utility) to rename all files modtagged [whitewash]. The new modtag must be [whitewash snow].

4) Place these files in you mod folder. Or if you - like me - suffer from lack of hard drive space, repack them with rezpack and let the new files replace the original data brz files (if you do this I strongly suggest that you backup the originals to someplace safe).

This can be done in about 15 minutes.

Cheers

Edited by umlaut

5 hours ago, umlaut said:

Important update!!

As mentioned above, it turns out that modtagging the vehicles [snow] has a rather unfortunate side effect:

The [snow] modtag somehow overrides the [whitewashed] modtag.

This means that these snowy vehicle mods will replace the [whitewash] vehicles in the games with a date of january 1st 1945 or later. Normally, all vehicles would be whitewashed in snowy ground conditions after this date. But since the [snow] modtag overrides [whitewash] this will not happen for these vehicles.

I am not at all happy about this, as I think the whitewashed vehicles in FB look great. Unfortunately this a game code thing I cant do anything about.

There is a workaround that I have used myself, though. But it takes some time. Here's what I've done:

1) Go to the data directory in your game and copy these four brz files:

final blitzkrieg v100c.brz
final blitzkrieg v100e.brz
final blitzkrieg v100f.brz
final blitzkrieg v100g.brz

2) Put each folder separately into your rezexplode input folder and the explode the file

3) Use a bulk renaming software (I use Bulk Rename Utility) to rename all files modtagged [whitewash]. The new modtag must be [whitewash snow].

4) Place these files in you mod folder. Or if you - like me - suffer from lack of hard drive space, repack them with rezpack and let the new files replace the original data brz files (if you do this I strongly suggest that you backup the originals to someplace safe).

This can be done in about 15 minutes.

Cheers

Huzzah! Bring on Umlaut's German vehicles!

Seriously though Umlaut, thanks for chasing this up in the Tech Support area, and I am certainly quite happy to do the above, to get the best of both worlds. But I can certainly understand your frustration.

For players who don't have patience, knowledge or whatever, here are stock whitewash texture brainwashed and renamed  [whitewash snow] as per Umlaut's instructions above, and packed into convenient brz format. 

Files list : http://superdupontzeserveur.fr/cm/whitewashsnow_list.txt

7zip archive : http://superdupontzeserveur.fr/cm/whitewashsnow.7z (489 Mb)

Note : no point uploading it onto CMModsIII, it's only a rough temporary quickfix to make do until patch 1.01, probably.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2016-04-29 at 11:15 AM, CMFDR said:

For players who don't have patience, knowledge or whatever, here are stock whitewash texture brainwashed and renamed  [whitewash snow] as per Umlaut's instructions above, and packed into convenient brz format. 

Note : no point uploading it onto CMModsIII, it's only a rough temporary quickfix to make do until patch 1.01, probably.

Wont be fixed in a patch according to umlaut in his german thread, so thanks again for putting this together CMFDR. 

On 4/29/2016 at 7:15 PM, CMFDR said:

CMFDR, really dumb question. Do I simply put your z[whitewash snow].brz into my mods folder, correct? No other actions necessary?

I like to grab a beer too in the process but, as far as the mod is concerned, just putting in your mods folder is all it takes.

No such thing as dumb question by the way, I forgot toi mention where it's supposed to go.

Edited by CMFDR

36 minutes ago, CMFDR said:

I like to grab a beer too in the process but, as far as the mod is concerned, just putting in your mods folder is all it takes.

No such thing as dumb question by the way, I forgot toi mention where it's supposed to go.

An IPA or American Brown? :huh:

Many thanks!

Hi,

Another dumb question.

If I put CMFDR's brz in my data folder and put in Umlaut's snowy vehicles I think I understand that the stock whitewash vehicles will appear now after Jan 1945.

If I want to put in say, Fuser's whitewash mods will I need to change each of his [whitewash] tags to [whitewash snow]?

Otherwise won't stock whitewash vehicles load in precedence to Fuser's?

Thanks for any advice on this.

Nick

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 16/2/2017 at 6:29 PM, Hilts said:

Hey Umlaut,

Thanks for all the snowy vehicle mods. Did you not do one for the Stugs in FB or can I use the mod from FI or RT? Cheers!

You're welcome. I've pretty much retired from modding now, but before that I did do a bit of work on the StuGs. Not sure if I ever finished them, though. I'll check and get back to you.

Updated:
My "quick snow" versions of the StuGs are not far from finished, so I'll try to finish them soon. And them upload them.

Edited by umlaut