My Review

On 4/13/2016 at 4:29 PM, FroBodine said:

He gets the point, but it would be really nice if the screenshots were replaced with better versions.  They really make the game look bad, except for a couple shots of the Tiger tanks.

He needs to upgrade to a 4 slice, toaster technology has improved over time.

Edited by danzig5

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/13/2016 at 5:29 PM, FroBodine said:

He gets the point, but it would be really nice if the screenshots were replaced with better versions.  They really make the game look bad, except for a couple shots of the Tiger tanks.

That's because those are screenshots from our Gallery.  To me it looks like his video card is being bypassed and the onboard video is being used.

16 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Yeah the fact is there's very little AI to move troops around, it's all done by the scenario designer setting various groups of units to move at various times, or triggering when the player moves into various areas. But of course, we as players have the imagination to "trick" ourselves a lot to explain why something happens or not in the game.

Very true.  If the scenario designer made more than one AI Plan then there can be variation, but it is random and not linked to skill level.

Steve

4 hours ago, Battlefront.com said:

Unfortunately James has refused to change the screenshots either by retaking them himself or accepting my offer to have us or even you guys redo them.  I was told off for even asking.  Needless to say we do not find that attitude either professional or even comprehensible.

I'm still pretty much puzzled by the response I got, but it is what it is.

Steve

It is what it is Steve, some people are just stubborn, i don't think the reception he received(justified or not) in the forums helped his decision. Be advised, this game is awesome, just got done with my 3rd H2H victory against a good buddy who's yet to best me lately(he got me in Normandy once) and we both agree the product is a beast. Keep up the good work. Everybody who's anybody knows what a great product you'll produce and support. Cheers.

Edited by purpheart23

being in that line of work (wish it was games, though) i can understand why Steve was told off (unless asked, don't mess with published work :D ). however, editor should have noticed sub standard level of screenshots and went himself for official. in the end they will change them and apologize to BF for any damage done within the review. that would be proper i think. neverthless, a good reed Cobb!

12 hours ago, James Cobb said:

The editor is dealing with it.

That sounds more promising that what Steve said.  I hope you mean the editor is going to help get more representative screen shots up there and not that the Editor is going to deal with Steve :D

8 hours ago, purpheart23 said:

It is what it is Steve, some people are just stubborn, i don't think the reception he received(justified or not) in the forums helped his decision.

I thought the forum reaction was pretty reasonable - pointing out that the graphics in the review don't represent the game very well is a very legitimate concern.  Frankly if someone is being stubborn they need to man up.  Hopefully it is just an issue that is going to be fixed.

6 hours ago, mbarbaric said:

being in that line of work (wish it was games, though) i can understand why Steve was told off (unless asked, don't mess with published work :D ). however, editor should have noticed sub standard level of screenshots and went himself for official. in the end they will change them and apologize to BF for any damage done within the review. that would be proper i think. neverthless, a good reed Cobb!

Sure, matters of opinion need to be backed up by the editor and any publisher trying to mess with that *should* be told off.  But we are not talking about matters of opinion we are talking about presentation of the facts.  In this case the graphics with that review are *not* representative of what the game normally looks like or can look like.  Therefore there are facts in error and those should be corrected.

Admitedly the screenshot issue became a bit over emphasized in this thread, when James just wanted to point to his generally well made review initially. Most of us here are probably too well aquainted with making halfway good screenshots and prepare the game beforehand, so it can be easily forgotten that this does not work so well for everybody, or stumbling on technical difficulties we didn´t stumble upon ourselves yet. 

Wicky,

What a tactless way of showing off my misperception! Since the men on the M12 didn't stand out as much in terms of contrast (trees behind, instead of snow) or vertical projection the way the crew did on the M7 (and were much smaller because of positioning in the image), after being up all night yet again, my eyes saw, but my brain didn't properly process. 

Regards,

John Kettler

59 minutes ago, montanaza said:

Jeez dude... Having a grumpy day, or what?

Thank you for your concen my well being is fine - maybe a certain poster should consider refraining from error prone posting after pulling all nighters with impaired faculties.

Edited by Wicky

5 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

They have a review from two weeks ago, so hopefully that's a sign that there's more life in it!  One of the consistently good publications to have remained around after the general collapse of print media.

Steve

PC Gamer needs to take lessons. Their last issue had pages and pages of advertisement for Graphic Artist design/Computer gaming design universities and colleges. I felt like I had ordered a brochure to go back to college versus a magazine that talks about PC games. And they haven't given ya'll ANY love in quite some time.

Where can you learn about Combat Mission other than finding the website or coming upon someone mentioning it in passing on a website?

Combat Mission is not an easy game to find for the press because it isn't available at your usual suspects, ala "Steam", or other popular digital distribution platforms. The game is niche of course but than again Command: Modern Air and Naval Operations has sold 10,000 copies there and has got a mention, even if it wasn't one of praise. If you look at Diplex Heated's Youtube Combat mission videos comment sections (Which get about 50,000 views and are asked for on his channel), half of them are saying how awesome the game is for the most part and the others are saying "Where can I find this its not on Steam"?

Edited by Raptorx7

4 minutes ago, Raptorx7 said:

Where can you learn about Combat Mission other than finding the website or coming upon someone mentioning it in passing on a website?

Combat Mission is not an easy game to find for the press because it isn't available at your usual suspects, ala "Steam", or other popular digital distribution platforms. The game is niche of course but than again Command: Modern Air and Naval Operations has sold 10,000 copies there and has got a mention, even if it wasn't one of praise. If you look at Diplex Heated's Youtube Combat mission videos comment sections (Which get about 50,000 views and are asked for on his channel), half of them are saying how awesome the game is for the most part and the others are saying "Where can I find this its not on Steam"?

Being involved in law enforcement for 19 years I've learned a few things. Tons of patience and that ignorance is a way of life (almost like a lifestyle choice if you ask me) for quite a few people. The ignorance is easy to deal with in "educating" people on the way of things. Using DiplexHeated as an example it's a good opportunity to point people in the right direction. Yeah I know it's not easy to respond to the masses of the ignorant but plugging in a comment here and there (Hey you can get this game from www.battlefront.com) is a way to bring people over. I've already done it myself when someone asked "What game is this and where can I get it" (I'll not point out that the title of the video was Combat Mission Beyond Normandy gameplay...LOL!)

1 minute ago, [MyIS] Buffpuff said:

Being involved in law enforcement for 19 years I've learned a few things. Tons of patience and that ignorance is a way of life (almost like a lifestyle choice if you ask me) for quite a few people. The ignorance is easy to deal with in "educating" people on the way of things. Using DiplexHeated as an example it's a good opportunity to point people in the right direction. Yeah I know it's not easy to respond to the masses of the ignorant but plugging in a comment here and there (Hey you can get this game from www.battlefront.com) is a way to bring people over. I've already done it myself when someone asked "What game is this and where can I get it" (I'll not point out that the title of the video was Combat Mission Beyond Normandy gameplay...LOL!)

Ignorance absolutely plays the part and I have also pointed people in the direction of this website, but its a fact of the industry that games usually release on said distribution problems and people expect it.

1 minute ago, Raptorx7 said:

Ignorance absolutely plays the part and I have also pointed people in the direction of this website, but its a fact of the industry that games usually release on said distribution problems and people expect it.

I won't argue that point. On a personal note I like the fact that Battlefront has never gone the digital distribution route (aka Steam, Origin, Uplay, etc.). If anything it's kept the ignorant masses away from these forums for years. Imagine the gimme gimme-what the hell it's broken-where's my call of duty crowd to these forums. Not quite as special if you ask me. For those that put a little effort in researching then maybe their sights get trained on this place. It's been so long for me but I think a magazine PC gaming article is what drew my attention to Battlefront when they released CMBO back in 2000. Battlefront has never put the emphasis on marketing and relied on word of mouth more than anything. I'm sure Steve could chime in here and say they've saved COUNTLESS dollars in that particular decision. On top of that these games are, at least in my opinion, a niche market. Any so called wargamer who's interested in the genre should know about Combat Mission by now or have their head examined.