CMBS Russian Campaign: The Mountains of Allah:Operation Scepter

What confuses me is that it looked like the version you PM'd to me was the same as the 2nd version of your campaign that I had started a few days earlier.  The one I am currently playing has a module of heavy arty, two drones and 2 helicopter reinforcements.  Did you do an even later version that included those assets but was updated yet again? 

It would be helpful if designers named their versions v1, v2, v3 etc so that there is no confusion.

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

What confuses me is that it looked like the version you PM'd to me was the same as the 2nd version of your campaign that I had started a few days earlier.  The one I am currently playing has a module of heavy arty, two drones and 2 helicopter reinforcements.  Did you do an even later version that included those assets but was updated yet again? 

It would be helpful if designers named their versions v1, v2, v3 etc so that there is no confusion.

The latest version has a fixed wing section added in the first mission. If yours has that then you are good. I agree about the version# will keep that in mind next time.

Edited by dragonwynn

16 hours ago, dragonwynn said:

Here is the latest updated .cam file for this campaign. It adds or corrects the following:

For new downloaders download the main files here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vrkcpcr3q5tkei/The Mountains of Allah.zip?dl=0

Place the mod folder into your dataz and delete the .cam file.

Download the updated .cam file here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwopzmdouzml3cz/The Mountains of Allah.cam?dl=0

Place the new .cam file into your campaign directory.

Michael

Are you sure these are the correct files? I think they are not. The cam file says it has been modified on 19.5.2016. And there are no fixed wing assets on 1st mission. Please check are rename the campaign files in a way that they indicate what version they are

Enjoying replaying the first mission. However, I had one FO air controller get KIA and now the air support and the drone he was commanding is going on (and on and on) and I can't cancel either and reassign to another FO.  Is this deliberate re Russian doctrine, or a glitch?

I am unsure if this is realistic but it is how the game behaves - loose the drone controller while they are controlling the drone lose the drone asset.

In one way it makes sense that if the guy holding the controls gets taken out and the control box is wrecked as well, the drone is effectively lost.  Even if it has a "come home when comms lost" mode it will not get back in the air any time soon.  I don't know enough about drones to know if that works for some or all or none.

A Russian air strike ordered by the KIA FO just inflicted massive friendly casualties as I went ahead with an inf assault on one of the hills as I had no idea if the air strike would ever come.  However, it seems that the air strike that the KIA FO ordered (and then died 5 or 6 turns ago) keeps going and can't be stopped. 

Am getting better at inf assaults.  But, am appalled by the inaccuracies of the mortar and arty strikes.  I set area fire over the hilltop forts and most of the HE seemed to land in an area at least 50m larger the target area with very few rounds doing any good.  I guess I will try Point Targets and see if that spreads over a smaller 15m area.

Similarly, most of the time, I can't even see where the air strikes are hitting or if they are simply cancelled for some reason.  I had the helicopters supposedly doing a strike and am not sure they even turned up.

Is Russian arty and air support really this bad.  Unless the Russians are really screwed up with comms in RL, it doesn't seem right.   They seem a lot more effective in what we see in Syria.

In my quick testing the air and arty hit fairly accurate where I wanted. Not sure if losing the FO could have caused all of those issues or not. 

Other than in this campaign I have not played from the Russian point of view so I am far from a expert on their capabilities. I know in my testing on some of the other scenarios they were quite effective with their actions. Course I had the advantage of knowing the enemy setup. 

Yikes.  Note to self remember that strikes you call may still happen if your FO gets taken out.  There is another reason that an CAS run might not happen - enemy AA activity.  Sometimes the AA weapons don't take out their targets but instead they "convince" them to go away.  I am unsure if that explains all or any of what you are seeing.  Yes, I too have noticed that artillery and mortar rounds fall outside the green circle.  I always make my circle a tad smaller than I might knowing that there will be spillage.

• 5 years later...
On 11/8/2016 at 2:46 PM, dragonwynn said:

For new downloaders download the main files here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vrkcpcr3q5tkei/The Mountains of Allah.zip?dl=0

Place the mod folder into your dataz and delete the .cam file.

Hi @dragonwynn, someone on my channel said they were interested in playing your campaign with the appropriate mods so I was hoping you could provide an updated modpack link?

Yep, that would be me! I would love to play the campaign with the respective mod pack you created. It seems like you did quite a bit of work and I think it would be shame if I "just" played the campaign via the .cam file.

If there is a reason for why you don't want to make the mod public, you could send me a PM.

49 minutes ago, dragonwynn said:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z4c6vsrqp6mj07m/AAAdXCgfjQ78WwZo4dtifetha?dl=0  try this link it should have the mods and the updated cam file

Whoa!  This is amazing!  I just dl'ed and threw in the mods to see and I'm impressed!  Can't wait to play this campaign now after I finish up a couple others!

Thanks!

8 hours ago, dragonwynn said:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z4c6vsrqp6mj07m/AAAdXCgfjQ78WwZo4dtifetha?dl=0  try this link it should have the mods and the updated cam file

Great, thank you so much! Someone on reddit already send me their backup yesterday with the Shadow of the Motherland + Winter files in it but it is great to know that the official link is up and running again.

Edited by Sunbather

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello dragonwynn, this has been an exhilarating campaign that was a joy to grind out--especially with the winter setting mods. And a special thank you for not giving BLUEFOR AA support so we, in a rare instance, can enjoy unobstructed CAS throughout the entirety of a BS campaign. 

I've finished the campaign a few months ago and hadn't had the time to get back into CM since. In my playthrough I didn't like the amount of units that are thrown under your command in the final mission. I think it's "Grozny"? The staggered order of march among Russian forces into the battle is fine and flows as progress is made into the city. But the size of the formations that are deployed at one time was overwhelming for me and made it difficult to effectively manage all my units in a timely manner. By the end, once all reinforcements are deployed, I had 100s of troops idle and my game was lagging frequently. 

That said, I saw you went back and updated the  campaign which has made me excited to get back into Black Sea. Did you adjust the reinforcements or troops committed by the Russians in the final mission of the campaign?

On 3/31/2022 at 1:11 PM, hypeman said:

Hello dragonwynn, this has been an exhilarating campaign that was a joy to grind out--especially with the winter setting mods. And a special thank you for not giving BLUEFOR AA support so we, in a rare instance, can enjoy unobstructed CAS throughout the entirety of a BS campaign. 

I've finished the campaign a few months ago and hadn't had the time to get back into CM since. In my playthrough I didn't like the amount of units that are thrown under your command in the final mission. I think it's "Grozny"? The staggered order of march among Russian forces into the battle is fine and flows as progress is made into the city. But the size of the formations that are deployed at one time was overwhelming for me and made it difficult to effectively manage all my units in a timely manner. By the end, once all reinforcements are deployed, I had 100s of troops idle and my game was lagging frequently. 

That said, I saw you went back and updated the  campaign which has made me excited to get back into Black Sea. Did you adjust the reinforcements or troops committed by the Russians in the final mission of the campaign?

Hi hypeman. Its been so long since I updated it I can't remember. I don't believe I adjusted anything for the final mission, mainly the first one and a few glitches in some of the middle missions. You have a good point as I remember designing that last mission and I recall questioning myself about force alignment and such. I think I set it that way due to what I anticipated the attrition rate through the campaign might be and didn't want the player trying to tackle the last mission with a platoon remaining lol. I may look at maybe adjusting the last mission in the future. Thanks for playing it.