CMBS Russian Campaign: The Mountains of Allah:Operation Scepter

Am enjoying the first scenario - about 15 minutes in. 

It does occur to me how easily the Russians could win this with some heavy arty to obliterate the hill defenses.  It seems illogical to send so many troops into what looks like costly infantry assault with a few mortars in support.  Even airpower would be fine.  This isn't WW2 with its huge air strike inaccuracies.  Am sure the Russians have same air strike accuracy as the US.  The scenario may be winnable, but it seems a bit "odd" for a modern scenario - like it's a WW1 scenario and we're using Storm Troopers to infiltrate Allied trench defenses

I am playing the 1st battle and have the same view as @Erwin   

It does not make any sense to bayonet attack hills in 2017. Some heavy artillery would do the job. If there was a fortified small village on the way and the attacker would prefer to avoid civilian casualties, that would be another story. 

All good points. I originally had mobile arty assets  in this mission. I removed them based on this being a airborne operation with limited Intel on the exact strength and locations of the enemy forces. In other words we know the valley will be defended but poor weather is not letting us see exactly what. So not to send a mobile mech brigade into a unsecured area I wanted a surprise airmobile operation to secure the route and open the door so to speak. 

However your observations make perfect sense. Guess I've been doing to many WW2 missions lol. I will look at adding the arty or air assets back in on a final update. Thanks for the input. 

Michael

Edited by dragonwynn

Ah... If you have the energy to do an update it would be very valuable as this seems like an xnt effort otherwise. Considering how easy it was for my drones to ID units, and the satellite assets that I am sure the Russians have, not being able to ID enemy forces hunkered down in bunkers/trench systems scale doesn't ring true.  Poor weather doesn't mean much these days.

If there is an update, I think I would wait for that. 

I believe I did suggest some Air strafing runs :-).  You could give a SU 34 but with limited ammo (eg it's returning from a separate mission and has some  unused ordnance). Throw in a Manpad or two for the chechies, or straight Inf rein. 

This could add a more combined arms feel. 

Edited by kinophile

1 hour ago, kinophile said:

I believe I did suggest some Air strafing runs :-).  You could give a SU 34 but with limited ammo (eg it's returning from a separate mission and has some  unused ordnance). Throw in a Manpad or two for the chechies, or straight Inf rein. 

This could add a more combined arms feel. 

That's a good thought also. And yes you did make that suggestion lol. I'll put something in on the final update for you guys to make some thunder with. :)

Another item to consider would be snipers.  I thought the Russians don't go anywhere without a lot of arty and snipers(?).

My experience with about an hour still to go is that the Chechans seem to have xnt snipers who can see and kill at about 200m-300m (and bring down accurate arty fire) even when my poor Russians are in the woods either sitting still on HIDE, or on MOVE orders.  It feels a bit like my Russian forces are like IS insurgents -  using massive manpower (and willing to take heavy casualties) to fight an enemy with superior technology and firepower - which is weird. 

Have also found the Russian mortars to be rather inaccurate.  Have used maybe half the mortar ammo, to kill maybe half a dozen defenders in their trenches.  I am targeting the enemy mortars, but so far not sure if any shells have landed in their pits.  :(

One should not use the more accurate prep fire, as according to the design notes, one doesn't accurately know where the enemy or their trenches are located.  And if the design assumes that one should use prep fire, then the Russians would use a lot of heavy stuff to obliterate the targets, (not mere mortars that merely irritate the defenders).

I love the map and the situation.  My befuddlement is that it seems like all the logical assets for this type of operation have been removed, and one has been given the "wrong" units and assets.

It would be like a CMSF mission where the US has to attack Syria/Iraq with only infantry, no heavy weapons or airpower, and the enemy has air superiority.  I suppose that could be interesting to play out.  But, one needs to be forewarned in the briefing why this odd state of affairs exists.

A thing you should explain at the campaign briefing (if it was there, sorry i missed it) is weather the core units get reinforcments during the campaign or not.  Without any reiforcements, I will not sacrifice dozens of men to take out guarrisons on hills (this is so...WWI) which I could easity obliterate with heavy artyllery. 

The campaign has quite a few core unit which are listed at the beginning of this thread. Each plays a role at different times during the campaign. In the script I gave a very high replenish and recovery factor that should help offset some of the losses. Some of the core units are used as reserves and some non core units are in the campaign as well. 

I have added in a battery of mobile arty, a attack helicopter section with limited ammo (thanks kinophile for that idea) and each company of airborne has a sniper section in the first mission. A FO and Air Controller unit has also been added to control those assets. Hopefully this will balance the first mission to everyone's satisfaction. All the other missions already had some of these assets except one which is a covert mission with the Spetsnaz guys. All of this will be in the final update. 

Michael

Thanks Erwin. I should have the final updated. cam file link up sometime tommorrow before I go on vacation. If anyone has any additional thoughts on any of the other missions now is the time to let me know. Unless something really ugly pops up this will be the finalized version of the campaign. 

Ok here is the updated and probably final .cam file for this campaign. The first mission now has artillery and limited air assets as well as some sniper sections added in for the Russians. Hopefully this will give a better balance for this particular situation.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/83tdxwsojyjw34a/The%20Mountains%20of%20Allah.cam?dl=0

Use the previous thread for the download with the mod and just replace the .cam file with this one.

Michael

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

OK, FINALLY had a chance to start playing this.  So I am about 20 minutes into the first scenario.  May be some minor spoilers, but certainly don't look to me for any brilliant tactical insights. ;)

Map:  Awesome map.  Love the little fortified hills which makes LOS, defilades, and such definitely a factor.  OH, and I have to say, I don't know if you intended to make the wolf howl, but very nice touch. :D  OUTSTANDING use of Mods.  And of course, you love that stinkin' night combat.  Not sure if it favors the Russians or not, but always a challenge.  Interesting it appears these are TOUCH objectives?  If so, that doesn't mean much as you pretty much have to overrun those positions and kill all the terrorists in them anyways...but I guess it does help on VPs.

Balance:  The play seems very well balanced.  In regard to the mortars, yea, they help, but with the Russian (and UKR) military, you could have an entire BN of mortars and you are still limited to the fact that only FO can call mortars.  I used all my FOs to loose an opening barrage before I hit GO to pound hill B and E, but once that happens your FOs are limited by mobility and LOS and you will inevitably have to use your infantry to seize the hilltop positions.  Which will suck for casualties.  I secured Hill A and am working on B, C, and E.  Not pretty but by using fire, maneuver and a LOT of suppressing fire I should be able to secure my objectives.  AND of course, once you get  your guys going up the hills, mortars become of less use as you don't want to drop them on your own guys (something I have some experience at :unsure:)

Overall, I am liking this a lot.  With the size of the battle and the map, of course  battle management is a problem as I love to watch the battle develop on a hill (seeing my brave Russian lads overrun the heinous terrorists) and tend to forget everything else. 

Very nicely done, waiting to see how things go.