Is it possible to throw grenades into buildings without being in contact with the wall?

10 hours ago, MikeyD said:

I once joked that the US had an advantage in WWII because our national sport was baseball. Every American kid grew up wanted to be a professional baseball pitcher. Now every American kid grows up playing console games and our grenade throwing skill may be suffering as a result.  ;) 

I remember reading ages ago that the German 'stick' grenade was much easier to throw than the Allied 'pineapple' grenade. I think it was easier to get more distance with them as well. Balanced by the fact that the stick grenade had less of an explosive and shrapnel effect.

I could of course be completely misremembering. ;)

Edited by niall78

Just now, niall78 said:

I remember reading ages ago that the German 'stick' grenade was much easier to throw than the Allied 'pineapple' grenade. I think it was easier to get more distance with them as well. Balanced by the fact that the stick grenade had less of a explosive and shrapnel effect.

I could of course be completely misremembering. ;)

That and they where huge compared to the pineapple.

Just now, Michael Emrys said:

But you could stick a couple of them in your boots.

Michael

that just sounds like a nightmare lol, ill stick to my mollee pouches ty, just seems too big and cumbersome at least for me, i would prefer small and compact. not to say if i was wandering by and saw a potato masher i wouldn't have a little fun tho. i have never used one before but they seemed a bit more dificult to use, something about unscrewing the bottom then pulling a string or something, twist pull pin all day for me.

5 minutes ago, iluvmy88 said:

that just sounds like a nightmare lol, ill stick to my mollee pouches ty, just seems too big and cumbersome at least for me, i would prefer small and compact. not to say if i was wandering by and saw a potato masher i wouldn't have a little fun tho. i have never used one before but they seemed a bit more dificult to use, something about unscrewing the bottom then pulling a string or something, twist pull pin all day for me.

I think the arming system on the stick grenade was much safer than the pineapple grenade. A person couldn't snag the pin and arm the grenade accidentally. I think many veterans taped the rings of their grenades to the main body of the device to minimise such accidents.

Just now, niall78 said:

I think the arming system on the stick grenade was much safer than the pineapple grenade. A person couldn't snag the pin and arm the grenade accidentally. I think many veterans taped the rings of their grenades to the main body of the device to minimise such accidents.

its possible idk if they are like todays grenades but tth pin is not  exactly easy to get out but not hard either (it pretty much a small lacing wire that holds the pin in) we have nifty little pouches for them now snug as a bug in a rug. really those suckers are in there tight lol.

13 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

Is the german egg hand grenade (Eihandgranate 39) now in CMFB? Always wondered this one did not make it into the games yet, beeing at least produced and ditributed in equal numbers than the potato masher. IIRC this one also was the one prefered for use in confined terrains like MOUT and forests.

Was the German egg grenade a fragmentation or a concussion weapon I wonder? The Germans seemed to favour the concussion weapon when it came to hand grenade design. Unlike nearly every other arms producing country at the time who went with fragmentation designs.

7 minutes ago, niall78 said:

Was the German egg grenade a fragmentation or a concussion weapon I wonder? The Germans seemed to favour the concussion weapon when it came to hand grenade design. Unlike nearly every other arms producing country at the time who went with fragmentation designs.

Concussion type normally, although there were attachable fragmentation sleeves available for both types. Hard to tell in which numbers they were be used and distributed to the troops in the field.

8 minutes ago, Hilts said:

What about rifle grenades? Weren't they desiigned to be fired through windows at houses across the street? Has anybody done a test on whether teams armed with them can area fire into a building without being adjacent?

I dont think i have seen a single rifle grenade kill in my 2 years of playing this game, they usually hit WAY off. good thing this isnt golf. Idk how accurate they where in real life but pixxeltruppen cant shoot rifle grenades if......theyre lives depended on it? lol

22 hours ago, iluvmy88 said:

I dont think i have seen a single rifle grenade kill in my 2 years of playing this game, they usually hit WAY off. good thing this isnt golf. Idk how accurate they where in real life but pixxeltruppen cant shoot rifle grenades if......theyre lives depended on it? lol

It's because they fire them at too long ranges, so once you close with the enemy, they haven't got any left. The TacAI should (arguably) be less happy to use them at range.

At close ranges (less than 100), they are really good weapons, especially against buildings, and also against light armour.

Just now, Bulletpoint said:

It's because they fire them at too long ranges, so once you close with the enemy, they haven't got any left. The TacAI should (arguably) be less happy to use them at range.

At close ranges (less than 100), they are really good weapons, especially against buildings, and also against light armour.

I know its just not worth the trouble for me to target light every time for a maybe chance that when the bad guys get close i might have a 10% chance that maybe the one or the two they have will do some good lol. i wish they would take the engagement range down. I have had some good experiences with AT grenades though.

4 minutes ago, iluvmy88 said:

I know its just not worth the trouble for me to target light every time for a maybe chance that when the bad guys get close i might have a 10% chance that maybe the one or the two they have will do some good lol. i wish they would take the engagement range down. I have had some good experiences with AT grenades though.

Yeah that's why I wish they would make the troops themselves decide not to fire their rifle grenades unless the target is close enough to have a chance to hit.

On April 15, 2016 at 5:53 AM, iluvmy88 said:

its possible idk if they are like todays grenades but tth pin is not  exactly easy to get out but not hard either (it pretty much a small lacing wire that holds the pin in) we have nifty little pouches for them now snug as a bug in a rug. really those suckers are in there tight lol.

The problem with the U.S. Grenades wasn't primarily with the pin snagging and pulling out, it was from the users bending the pin (the pin was like a split cotter pin) to make it easer to pull out. Some then used tape or a rubber band to keep the spoon lever from springing if the pin pulled out. I believe there is a picture of Gen Ridgeway in Korea with his grenades spoons taped. The Germans weren't the only soldiers to use "stick grenades". Other countries used a stick. They just had different ways to arm it. Also, the Germans used at least two types of grenades, concussion and fragmentation. Stick grenades could be thrown further.

• 3 years later...

On 4/13/2016 at 6:54 PM, IanL said:

I have to wonder about this. Is it SOP for troops to throw grenades from any distance at a building? It would seem to me that the risk of missing the window and having it bounce back would not be something to trifle with.

On 4/13/2016 at 8:15 PM, Buzz said:

I agree with Pete & Ian... throwing a bomb that is designed to kill over X distance and having it miss the window... bounce back .... should have a serious down side for the guys who miss the window. It would in RL. 

On 4/13/2016 at 11:18 PM, Bulletpoint said:

CM squares are only 8 metres across. Surely it would be possible to throw a grenade through a medium sized window at that distance?

Well, hello again thread from 2016. I come from the future with good news.

It's now 2020, and it is now possible to throw handgrenades into buildings from some distance from the building. Just saw my guys throw two grenades into a building from 10m distance. They decided to do it on their own accord when they spotted enemies there - not sure if it's possible to make them do it by an area fire order.

Edited by Bulletpoint

6 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Well, hello again thread from 2016. I come from the future with good news.

It's now 2020, and it is now possible to throw handgrenades into buildings from some distance from the building. Just saw my guys throw two grenades into a building from 10m distance. They decided to do it on their own accord when they spotted enemies there - not sure if it's possible to make them do it by an area fire order.

Thanks Bulletpoint...

It is Spring so time to "Play Ball" and hum those fast handgrenades into buildings:D.

Buzz

On 4/13/2016 at 6:24 PM, Bulletpoint said:

However, I still find the game pretty lacking in ways to realistically use grenades to clear out buildings like you describe.

The only time you need to do this is if something goes wrong. Generally speaking heavy suppressive fires will cause the enemy to exit the building unless they are fanatics.

In 'Hell in the Hedgerows' I did successfully order a clearing of a defended building with grenades because my suppressive fire was unable to penetrate the building and pin the defenders.

All I did was split an Assault Team and order them to quick move into the house. I judged the enemy team to be sufficiently distracted to allow the maneuver with few casualties. They paused several times to shoot, stopped right outside the front door, threw a couple grenades, and went into the house blowing away anything remaining. It was over in a few seconds.

The relevant turn is time-stamped below:

The assault team did become pinned by my covering fire, but by approaching from an angle they were spared the full effect of it until they were inside the house.

Further down the street I attempted the same maneuver simultaneously to little effect. I did flush the enemy out of the building, but my squad took a casualty and also retreated. Clearing a house with grenade assault is a very dangerous thing to do no matter how you go about it.

That being said, I would absolutely love a Target Grenade command not necessarily for clearing houses, but because at very close range I would like to deliberately area fire onto terrain with grenades say from behind a wall or behind a hedgerow.

Edited by General Jack Ripper
I use too many commas.