Work on Patch v1.01 has started

7 hours ago, Hilts said:

81 mm mortar crews given a long move order are often seen moving quickly or even fast and if not noticed usually arrive at the waypoint exhausted. Curiously, I am seeing the same thing in my current CMBN battle. The units are not under fire.

I can't reproduce this (without putting them under fire or duress), do you happen to have save file of it?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/12/2016 at 1:46 PM, SgtHatred said:

We did some more testing Monday evening and determined that a defending player cannot use trenches if he is also client player. The trenches will fly all over the place for the host player, and once a save is reloaded, both players will see flying trenches. 100% repo rate on this.

Foxholes, sandbag walls,TRPs, and mines seem to be more random. If a host places these items on the defense, a game will have to be saved and reloaded after the first turn, or the client player will not see where they have been placed during deployment, but still see them where they were originally placed randomly when the map was loaded. Reloading will resolve this (The host player can also reliably place trenches with this method).

It is important to note that we have occasionally seen these objects suddenly move at the end of the deployment phase, when both players hit the red button, regardless of which player placed the object. This seems random, and a save/reload will not fix it.

Thanks, this is great information on the bug that will help us nail it.

Anybody yet played a CMFB mission that includes (german) concrete pillboxes and US 60/81mm mortars? I just had some test runs in CMBN V3.12 where mortars could do heavy damage on pillbox crews now. I didn´t see anything like that before V3.12. In case this is really a bug and is carried over to CMFB 1.0

3 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Anybody yet played a CMFB mission that includes (german) concrete pillboxes and US 60/81mm mortars? I just had some test runs in CMBN V3.12 where mortars could do heavy damage on pillbox crews now. I didn´t see anything like that before V3.12. In case this is really a bug and is carried over to CMFB 1.0

I tried, here are some highlights. Definitely got some kills with 81s, the last one is a 60mm penetrating the front.

Its important to note that each of these tests involved a large number of shots, so it's evidence that it can happen. How often it can/should is another question.

Edited by SgtHatred

7 hours ago, Agua said:

It certainly did cause casualties to my troops.

I guess I'm not being clear. You are playing as the US in that scenario, right? The bunkers in that scenario are German. German fire passing through German bunkers is not a bug, it's a quirk of the game engine.

6 hours ago, SgtHatred said:

I tried, here are some highlights. Definitely got some kills with 81s, the last one is a 60mm penetrating the front.

Its important to note that each of these tests involved a large number of shots, so it's evidence that it can happen. How often it can/should is another question.

Thanks for confirmation. In my latest test runs in CMBN V3.12 I figured that about 30% of 60 and 81mm mortar rounds yielding direct hits give that penetrating/damaging effect. I tested the concrete shelter and MG types and it doesn´t matter which side got the damaging hit. It can be the side walls and top as well, so it´s not a particular vulnerability from the front or at the aperture as one might presume. Some more info over here:

I'd like to mention the fact that american forces wear greatcoats and don't use gloves in terrains which haven't snow.  But nevertheless, german forces always are wearing gloves, in maps with or without snow, wearing greatcoats or only standart uniforms.
This may not be a bug, but I'm not sure.

I shall take this opportunity to congratulate on your excellent work in FB.

17 hours ago, ChrisND said:

I can't reproduce this (without putting them under fire or duress), do you happen to have save file of it?

Neither can I now! Maybe they did come under fire and I didn't notice, in which case my apologies. Will keep an eye on it and report back if necessary

OK first good news: we should have the moving/floating/sunken fortifications in TCP/IP play fixed for v1.01. The reports here were a huge help in fixing that!

And the not-yet-good news: we haven't been able to nail down the flickering icons bug yet. It appears to be an issue specific to certain hardware setups.

So, for the people that have encountered flickering floating icons in TCP, we've got a couple questions for you:

1. When the floating icons are flickering, do the little triangles at the very top of the screen also flicker or not? (like the floating icons, they each correspond to a team or squad)
  2. Please list what video hardware you have (your graphics card model).

42 minutes ago, ChrisND said:

OK first good news: we should have the moving/floating/sunken fortifications in TCP/IP play fixed for v1.01. The reports here were a huge help in fixing that!

And the not-yet-good news: we haven't been able to nail down the flickering icons bug yet. It appears to be an issue specific to certain hardware setups.

So, for the people that have encountered flickering floating icons in TCP, we've got a couple questions for you:

1. When the floating icons are flickering, do the little triangles at the very top of the screen also flicker or not? (like the floating icons, they each correspond to a team or squad)
  2. Please list what video hardware you have (your graphics card model).

That's awesome, hopefully the fortifications fix can be back ported to Black Sea, Red Thunder, and Normandy, since it's definitely in those games (probably Italy too). Probably should have mentioned something way back when it was first encountered...

1. I don't know of a way to reproduce the flickering bug, but I went back to the video I posted and it appears that the triangles do not flicker. Also, enemy possible contact "?" do not flicker, only confirmed contact icons and friendly units.

2. In the video I posted, I am running an MSI Geforce GTX 780 SC 3GB. My opponent reported the flickering, but it was several turns of play before my icons started flickering. I shared the save file with 2 unique sets of players (neither set included an original player) and everyone saw the flickering upon loading that specific save file.

In the unreasonable number of multiplayer Combat Mission games I've played in the last 2 years (I'd say 100, but that's probably too low) and many others I've been witness to, the flickering has happened maybe 4 times. Once in Final Blitz, once in Red Thunder, and twice in Normandy. 

7 minutes ago, SgtHatred said:

That's awesome, hopefully the fortifications fix can be back ported to Black Sea, Red Thunder, and Normandy, since it's definitely in those games (probably Italy too).

It will, fixes get moved over to other games when the next patch/release for them comes out.

7 minutes ago, SgtHatred said:

That's awesome, hopefully the fortifications fix can be back ported to Black Sea, Red Thunder, and Normandy, since it's definitely in those games (probably Italy too). Probably should have mentioned something way back when it was first encountered...

1. I don't know of a way to reproduce the flickering bug, but I went back to the video I posted and it appears that the triangles do not flicker. Also, enemy possible contact "?" do not flicker, only confirmed contact icons and friendly units.

2. In the video I posted, I am running an MSI Geforce GTX 780 SC 3GB. My opponent reported the flickering, but it was several turns of play before my icons started flickering. I shared the save file with 2 unique sets of players (neither set included an original player) and everyone saw the flickering upon loading that specific save file.

In the unreasonable number of multiplayer Combat Mission games I've played in the last 2 years (I'd say 100, but that's probably too low) and many others I've been witness to, the flickering has happened maybe 4 times. Once in Final Blitz, once in Red Thunder, and twice in Normandy. 

Thanks!

Also a minor thing I noticed this week that is probably incorrect. After putting several shots into hapless German infantry on a road, I had an m1 57mm AT gun fire its APDS round at an infantry man. The gun still had ~40 shots of regular ammo left, and I'm not sure discarding sabot is ever a good choice for man-sniping.

I've noticed in the past that my m1's will mysteriously no longer have their apds rounds, so I assume that those are other instances of the m1 crew getting too excited to try their special ammo.

In Quick Battles, the force selection screen is not resetting the quality options when you move back to attach single units, like in CMBN.  For example, if you select a platoon to attach an individual unit, the quality options for the platoon leader carry over to the single unit screen instead of resetting to the settings used for selecting the battalion. 

I selected an infantry battalion using typical for all the quality modifiers.  I highlighted a platoon to attach a machine gun team, and when I selected the machine gun team instead of resetting the modifiers to typical, the machine gun team had the same quality as the platoon leader.  So I have to reset the modifiers to typical each time I attach a unit.  In CMBN the modifiers reset automatically so you don't have to do that if you want to make multiple attachments using typical quality.

I have encountered icon flickering once and I use a GTX 770.

Unrelated note, is there a unmentioned change to the M36 GMC ammo depending on month? I ask because in Jan 45 panther glacis plates extremely resistant to 90mm fire at all ranges, but in Oct 44 the Panther is much more vulnerable. 45 it almost feels like I am using an M10 instead.

6 hours ago, ChrisND said:

It will, fixes get moved over to other games when the next patch/release for them comes out.

Cool.

My opponent in the flickering video posted above has an AMD Radeon HD 6800. 

To add to Danzig's post above, I was also trying out the M36 tonight.

M36, January 1945, ~100-120m, the M36 has almost no chance of penetrating the front upper hull of the panther. It can still get lower hull hits though.

M36, October 1944, ~200m, the M36 gets partial or full penetrations on the upper hull with every shot (honestly, even at 500m the M36 seems to easily defeat the front of the panther.

Either The M36 becomes a lot weaker in January 1945 vs October 1944, or the Panther (I had one of every type of panther in the line) got some uranium inserts in 1945.

25 minutes ago, user1000 said:

for all cm x2 games will you remove the digital radio transmit and receive beep sound? What sound or tone did they use in ww2 to begin and end a radio transmission

Eh? The only time I hear anything like that is when I am getting an on-screen prompt that reinforcements have arrived. And I wouldn't call it a beep but a moment of static like you hear when the transmit button is pressed at the other end.

Michael

1 hour ago, user1000 said:

for all cm x2 games will you remove the digital radio transmit and receive beep sound? What sound or tone did they use in ww2 to begin and end a radio transmission

Starting with CMFB v1.01, we're replacing the beep with something else.