CMFB (Unofficial) Screenshot Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one of the more crazy close-range firefights I've ever seen in these games. This post might have spoilers for the Kampfgruppe Peiper campaign for anyone that cares.

I was the Waffen SS attacking into Stavelot in the early morning hours, with the skies overcast and visibility almost at zero. You could walk right up to enemies and not see them even at point blank range. As the battle began and my forward platoons were fanning out toward the city, my company HQ and most of the company's half-tracks were kept back a bit. I thought they were all safe back there, silly me!

Before long, I could hear American vehicles moving down the road out of the city and directly at my positions. I wasn't expecting them to counterattack or just brazenly drive straight out at me so I didn't know what to do at first. The vehicles drove right past my forward troops and none of them saw anything, although I could see the sound contacts coming closer and closer. 

An American half-track packed full of troops suddenly veered off the road, turned right, crossed right in front of a Stummel just meters away, then drove straight at my two HQ teams hidden behind a line of bushes, one of them being the company HQ:

NQBWK6r.png

The half-track smashed down the fence between the two HQ teams and then kept going, and the GIs in the back got up and opened fire into the backs of my HQ teams, causing two casualties straight away:

Fc1s0E0.png

One of the HQ teams spun around and returned fire:

2VyWXQl.png

Seconds later, another American half-track appeared out of nowhere, following behind the first:

GIFuEoe.png

Like a firing squad, the men in the half-track all turned in unison and mercilessly gunned down the entire HQ team. A rifle grenade exploded in the middle of them. My company commander was killed instantly, and at this point my jaw had pretty much hit the floor. One of the first casualties in the battle was my company commander, and he was calling in a bunch of artillery at the time so I had no way to cancel. This was probably the least likely thing I had ever expected to happen - my company commander gunned down in a drive-by shooting at point blank range right at the beginning of the battle. 

Cw5nGXg.png

I would soon get my revenge however. The American half-tracks had drove right into the midst of a column of German half-tracks strung out along the road. They turned and started shooting:

KPwpzy2.png

The US half-tracks both halted and the men started bailing out under heavy fire:

gtK687V.png

oUxmshj.png

A short but intense firefight ensued, with the Americans shooting and tossing grenades in every direction while under a murderous crossfire.

0bOFQVS.png

4icS6gq.png

The American dismounts were cut down to the last man, although both of their half-tracks managed to escape and drive off into the darkness. Only the drivers survived. I lost a half-track gunner or two but nothing else.

JQHvfRa.png

Stay tuned for part two!

Now part two:

As all that gunfire was going on with the two American half-tracks, two more half-tracks were coming up the road behind them, making four in total. Right when the first firefight was ending, the two new half-tracks opened fire down the road. They didn't even see the Stummel right in front of them, but were instead shooting off to the right side of the road where they saw muzzle flashes from the firefight (where my shot-up HQ teams were).

51Y9x4z.png

Some of my forward troops had already turned around from infiltrating the city and were rushing back to the sound of shooting behind them. They were about to lay a devastating ambush along the road.

0IGHwqa.png

Vl6Xc4z.png

Now that the Americans were shooting, my troops along the road suddenly realized what was right in front of them and then opened fire.

V4f2mA6.png

Seemingly every man in this entire squad threw a grenade, and then a panzerfaust was launched:

AvXNXCK.png

znHqM3Z.png

These guys have no idea what's coming:

o0HFD8V.png

See if you can count how many grenades are in this picture!

KYQxt9G.png

The half-tracks go boom. Both remaining half-tracks are completely destroyed with all hands lost inside.

Tu6HjYt.png

5sBTJjN.png

After such a shocking few minutes, everything fell quiet for a while. My troops went on without their commander back to their original mission of infiltrating the city, and were eventually victorious. 

• 4 weeks later...

From the same PBEM.

There is nothing quite like flanking a Panther and taking it out with a 75 mm M4!

0gEkV9g.jpg

dhCeXiA.jpg

Note the already existing damage on the Panther. Side skirt was hit by a bazooka, the tracks on the side of the turret were hit by a cumulative rifle grenade. The tank was engaged frontally four times by a 75 mm M4. The commander was killed by machinegun fire from an M4. His replacement, the gunner was shot by an M1 Garand. By the time it was destroyed it had only three crew members and it was still capable of fighting.

1 hour ago, Aurelius said:

From the same PBEM.

There is nothing quite like flanking a Panther and taking it out with a 75 mm M4!

Note the already existing damage on the Panther. Side skirt was hit by a bazooka, the tracks on the side of the turret were hit by a cumulative rifle grenade. The tank was engaged frontally four times by a 75 mm M4. The commander was killed by machinegun fire from an M4. His replacement, the gunner was shot by an M1 Garand. By the time it was destroyed it had only three crew members and it was still capable of fighting.

+1.  Good job.  

• 3 weeks later...

From scenario "The Road to Wiltz".

My troops arrived on the West Hill just seconds before the americans arrived. When they American troops showed up just behind the icy hedgerow at top of the hill they were greeted with a blast of Xmas bullets and Xmas shells. In minutes the three US assaults squads, their leader, the support machine gun team and the flamethrower team were images of the past whilst my 81mm mortar artillery barrage was torning apart the defending team on the East Hill as my other assault team on this side was cautiously progressing under the cover of the dark woods. Meanwhile my paratroops had met with the americans tentative to out flank my West Hill assault. The US tentative surprise counter attack was brutally stopped by their unpleasant encounter of my paratroopers and a support 105mm howitzer tank. The three US tanks also met rapidly their fate when the bravely showed up in front of my ambushed tanks. In less than 25 minutes all was packed with a minimum of casualtiesand 30 US survivors surrendering.

A great scenario and a very pleasant stroll to town. This night we will sleep in town.

Screenshot 2020-04-22 at 22.39.43.jpg

On 5/3/2020 at 5:28 PM, Erwin said:

Ahh...  I didn't notice that there were 2 similarly named CMFB scenarios:  One is called "CMBO Classic - The Road To Wiltz" and the 2nd is "Another Road to Wiltz".

yes indeed. The snipet image is from the CMBO classic proposed in CMFB.

7 hours ago, Erwin said:

Enjoyed the original so will try this.  Am curious what the "Another Road to Wiltz" is like.

Without giving too much away. A two-hour battle on a larger map. Also, if you play as the Germans, you get some US equipment to play with. So I would say, similar enough to the original for for fans of the first one to enjoy, and different enough to make it interesting in it's own right.

On 5/2/2020 at 4:28 PM, Albert DuBalay said:

From scenario "The Road to Wiltz".

My troops arrived on the West Hill just seconds before the americans arrived. When they American troops showed up just behind the icy hedgerow at top of the hill they were greeted with a blast of Xmas bullets and Xmas shells. In minutes the three US assaults squads, their leader, the support machine gun team and the flamethrower team were images of the past whilst my 81mm mortar artillery barrage was torning apart the defending team on the East Hill as my other assault team on this side was cautiously progressing under the cover of the dark woods. Meanwhile my paratroops had met with the americans tentative to out flank my West Hill assault. The US tentative surprise counter attack was brutally stopped by their unpleasant encounter of my paratroopers and a support 105mm howitzer tank. The three US tanks also met rapidly their fate when the bravely showed up in front of my ambushed tanks. In less than 25 minutes all was packed with a minimum of casualtiesand 30 US survivors surrendering.

A great scenario and a very pleasant stroll to town. This night we will sleep in town.

Screenshot 2020-04-22 at 22.39.43.jpg

Nice i’m looking forward to playing this as the Germans.

On 5/4/2020 at 10:28 PM, Warts 'n' all said:

Also, if you play as the Germans, you get some US equipment to play with.

I note that one is advised to play the US vs the AI.  Is the German vs AI also good?  (If so, will play it that way.  I come from the generation of wargamers where you practically had to pay someone to play the WAllies lol.  )

Edited by Erwin