VP Locations

I was just wondering if ya'all (I'm from Va, I'm licensed to use that "word") were going to include one of my favorite features from Tigers on the Prowl. One of the options for a scenario was to have 3 separate victory locations (along the width of the lines, not in depth), only one of which was actually "for real". The beauty of it was, only the attacker knew which was the real one, and the defender had to spread out to cover all three. It did a good job of rewarding the attacker for making feints and concentrating the attack, and rewarding the defender for using screening forces and keeping a reserve.

I suppose the same thing could work for a meeting engagement or attack/counterattack situation. Most "meeting engagement" scenarios end up rewarding the player who goes to ground and defends. The SP series comes to mind here. But if you tried that covering multiple vp locations, the more agressive player might be able to concentrate, break through, and snatch it from the passive player before he can shift reserves and react.

Anyway, just an idea.

-Chris R

Wonderful idea! Maybe even assaign some probability to each VL. Say 50% of the time we play a particular scenario the attacker will go for the BFH(Big F**** Hill), 30% of the timne the SGV(Small Godforsaken Village) and 20% for the smallish bridge just outside of the village. It would do wonders for replayability and would quite decently simulate the 'orders' coming from above.

Improvise, adapt and overcome.

Sten

Guest Big Time Software

Well Chris, it's in thanks to you smile.gif Not sure exactly what the rules are (haven't seen it), but I have been told that it is in, working, and is "cool"!

Thanks!

Steve

BTS: Thats beyond cool, you guys have made my day.

Marko: No, "y'all" would be alabama or georgia. Here in ole virginny, we still give that extra syllable to the "ya". Ya all instead of "yawl". Or at least I do. Of course I'm from northern va, which many would argue isn't part of the south. (Mostly the same folks who think the south will rise again)

Chris R

I don't know if the probabilities are worth the effort, but it would be kinda neat if the attacker could choose which objective. Its not terribly realistic, but it would lead to all sorts of "Ha, I'll attack through the fortified wooded mined city, just where he wont expect it" sorta stuff.

Guest Rhet Schmidt

Marko, Chris is right, in Northern Virginia it is usually pronounced Ya'all. Being from NoVa myself I attribute the difference between y'all and ya'all to the fact that most Northen Virginians do not have a southern drawl. Without the drawl, you get more annunciation. smile.gif

This is making me home sick, man I would like to move back there!

------------------

Rhet

CRourke, wouldn't it be a better simulation of 'orders from above' if you got a VL assigned to you?

But it would be boring to have the same one every time. That way the feature would be moot the second time you play a specific scenario as the defender.

Sten

Guest Big Time Software

Sten, we have the feature in as Chris described; attacker chooses. However, we are debating which way is better.

At the small scale it is more usual for the local commander to decide what is the best thing to take. Higher command usually isn't concerned with this or that farmhouse, just that the end result is obtained. So keeping this in mind, we think that it is (on balance) more realistic for the Attacker to choose the place to take. But the issue is not yet closed.

Steve

Thanks for educating me guys! smile.gif I think that the perfect place in America has Southern hospitality and charm mixed with Cascade Mountains scenery. Not to denigrate the Southern Appalachians, of course. There's another word of a dozen pronunciations! smile.gif

Marko