Ideal computer for CMBN

Also, there's a weird "floatiness" when I use the right mouse button to look around. This floating is like a delay so that the view change is always trailing behind the mouse movements, and it happens even on tiny maps with all detail set to minimum and very high FPS. So it's not directly related to game performance. I wish I could find out what causes it... maybe some obscure setting somewhere in drivers, but I think I tried everything..

My experience with all  the CM2 titles is on a good rig, even with 30-40 fps, there is a noticeable lagginess.  This is on all types of maps.  Trees, hedges, and unit density seem to have the biggest impact.  FPS doesn't seem to be impacted, but the lagginess is always there.  I have noticed this with Intel and AMD CPUS, as well as Intel, nVidia, and AMD GPUs over the years.

I have never wanted to take the time to test all permutations so its anecdotal.

So, the engine driving the most accurate, precise and detailed simulation of WW2 and near-future combined arms combat at the platoon-to-brigade scale is written poorly because it doesn't scale FPS with processor price? When instead of increasing FPS, it's increased map size and unit count potential (y'know, like people have asked for) as rig power increases. And yet is still usable with lower tier machines.

"Written poorly" is a massive assertion that you simply don't have the data to back up. "Written to fulfil expectations other than yours" is more accurate.

Your name is apt.

All the proof I need is in the tech support forum. High end PCs struggling to render a low poly 3d environment.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2016 at 7:18 PM, Bulletpoint said:

Graphics stay the same when you look at tanks and soldiers really up close, but lower detail settings mean that stuff farther from the camera will lose detail. I also have a quite powerful computer, but I prefer to keep detail setting to "improved", which is just one notch higher than "balanced". Shadows and shaders I keep on, as I find them very important for the graphics, and also because they don't seem to impact my performance too much.

I have a different experience. With low graphics my pixeltruppen look jagged and the divisional patch is just a splash on their arms. With higher (Improved) graphics they look smooth and the patch is distinguishable.

27 minutes ago, Ivan Zaitzev said:

I have a different experience. With low graphics my pixeltruppen look jagged and the divisional patch is just a splash on their arms. With higher (Improved) graphics they look smooth and the patch is distinguishable.

Sounds like you are talking about texture quality. I was talking about the setting graphics quality. 

3 hours ago, Reiter said:

AA on, everything balanced, shaders and shadows on. Fps stays on 30, sometimes drops to 25. Much more smoothier than playing with best setup and get fps of 15.

Sorry for derailing the thread, but I can't look at that screenshot without wondering why there are haystacks in the middle of an un-harvested field :)

On topic, you should easily be able to use "best" textures, since you have a 4 Gb graphics card. No reason to keep it on "balanced".

36 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Sorry for derailing the thread, but I can't look at that screenshot without wondering why there are haystacks in the middle of an un-harvested field :)

On topic, you should easily be able to use "best" textures, since you have a 4 Gb graphics card. No reason to keep it on "balanced".

Well, I found out that when using best settings the framerate drops to 10-25. Not enjoyable. With balanced, everything is smooth and does not look too horrible.

Edited by Reiter

48 minutes ago, Reiter said:

Both. So you mean that graphics could be at improved, but textures best?  I will try that with AA and others on, then.

Yes, exactly. Setting textures to "best" should be no problem if you have a 4 Gb GPU. At least it doesn't decrease performance on my system.

9 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Yes, exactly. Setting textures to "best" should be no problem if you have a 4 Gb GPU. At least it doesn't decrease performance on my system.

Ahh, your suggestion works like a charm. Thank you, now I can play CMx2 at full pleasure!

---TOTAL OFF TOPIC---

Any news from CMx3? Also, I want that flame behaviour done correctly, right now we dont have flames actually, only little campires.