First post - BIG request

I've played every CM game since Overlord (except for Afghanistan) and this is the first time I've posted here (from memory, at least).

So here's the request:

Any chance of being able to toggle on/off the coloured objective zones? They're necessary for someone like me in order to keep track of the objectives, especially when there are quite a number, but, to be honest, staring at bright green squares throughout each mission tend to drag me out of the feeling of 'being there', which CM does such a great job of doing.

Just a thought, whilst waiting for the Ardennes. 

Speaking of which, is it somehow remappable? Because I have a WIFI antenna's program which has the same setting and I really can't use this command in game.

None of the "Alt-" commands can be remapped at the moment. Only the command and camera controls.

- can you not remap the wifi thing ?

<Snip> Any chance of being able to toggle on/off the coloured objective zones? <Snip> 

I know @TJT answered your question for you.  There are hotkey and mouse control features that I often forget about so I thought I would mention this.  At the bottom right of the user interface click on menu, then click Hotkeys ........... all kinds of cool option in there. 

He heh, I'm like you, played every CM game since forever and still have to go look in the key commands menu to remind myself how to toggle stuff. Like movie-mode lighting and brightened night time effect.

Same, and specifically I wondered if my video driver was incompatible with some version of CMx2 when I noticed it was rather bright for a night attack.  I'd inadvertently toggled to the brightened night setting. 

Just curious if most people play with these zones on, or if they toggle them off. My self I look at them initially then pretty much alt-j them off for the rest of the scenario.

I always turn them off for immersion.

I am regularly astonished by AAR's and other screenshots that people post which show them constantly on. :blink:
Why wouldn't you turn them off ? You can flick them on and off at any time if you need a reminder...

Just curious if most people play with these zones on, or if they toggle them off. My self I look at them initially then pretty much alt-j them off for the rest of the scenario.

I can't recall that I have ever turned them off. They don't bother me and I find them a useful reminder of what I am supposed to capture and clear.

I suspect that immersion is not that big a deal for me, since I am using my imagination anyway. I go all the way back to cardboard counters with NATO symbols, so whatever is on the map is pretty much okay with me as long as the information that it is supposed to convey is clear and unambiguous. What I wish for is some kind of terrain effects key to help identify different kinds of terrain and what to expect from them. I've been playing CMx2 ever since CMBN came out and I still don't know for sure exactly what some kinds of terrain are supposed to do, although I guess I manage well enough.

Michael

I can't recall that I have ever turned them off. They don't bother me and I find them a useful reminder of what I am supposed to capture and clear.

I suspect that immersion is not that big a deal for me, since I am using my imagination anyway. I go all the way back to cardboard counters with NATO symbols, so whatever is on the map is pretty much okay with me as long as the information that it is supposed to convey is clear and unambiguous. What I wish for is some kind of terrain effects key to help identify different kinds of terrain and what to expect from them. I've been playing CMx2 ever since CMBN came out and I still don't know for sure exactly what some kinds of terrain are supposed to do, although I guess I manage well enough.

Michael

hahaha... I'm the same. I leave them on because it's easier to see what my enemy cares about. The one thing that irks me is shutting off trees. I try to switch them on as soon as I can because it really is a visual irritation to know the trees should be there but aren't displayed, or I'm just seeing trunks. Bright green patches of ground don't kill immersion that much for me but tree trunks...OMG! :blink:

And I agree with Michael, I am still utterly lost as to what certain terrain does in terms of movement, bogging, cover... :rolleyes:

Edited by Bud_B

The one thing that irks me is shutting off trees. I try to switch them on as soon as I can because it really is a visual irritation to know the trees should be there but aren't displayed, or I'm just seeing trunks. Bright green patches of ground don't kill immersion that much for me but tree trunks...OMG! :blink:

Yeah, I'm that way too. In the game I am currently playing, a number of times I have shut off trees entirely—not even trunks—because I needed to scope out the contours of the land over considerable distances and the trees were too dense to allow that. But man! It sure was ugly! Once I had the information I needed I switched back to close up trunks only, which is also somewhat of a visual blight but a necessary compromise.

Michael

Yeah, I'm that way too. In the game I am currently playing, a number of times I have shut off trees entirely—not even trunks—because I needed to scope out the contours of the land over considerable distances and the trees were too dense to allow that. But man! It sure was ugly! Once I had the information I needed I switched back to close up trunks only, which is also somewhat of a visual blight but a necessary compromise.

Michael

You're a better man than I, Gunga Din, I hate the trunks almost as much as no trees. ;)

• 1 month later...