Hand to hand combat

Will hand to hand combat be simulated in CM? When you take your turns you can't change any orders right? So of the screenshots I have seen look to me like you can give some orders to your men when it is the action phase. I just trying to clear this up so I can get a better understanding of this game. Thanks

Guest Big Time Software

Hand to hand fighting is simulated by increasing all sorts of variables when units are at really close range. Firepower is higher, fire volume is increased, chance of surrendering is greater, etc. H-to-H battles will be short and usually total for one side or the other.

I think your other questions can be answered by the Combat Mission FAQ http://www.bigtimesoftware.com/html/cmfaq.html . But maybe you did and just missed something, so I will try to clear up your questions...

You can not issue ANY orders of ANY kind during the Action Phase (when combat is actually simulated). All orders are done in the Orders Phase (where time is stopped). What you see in the screenshots is the ability of the user to interact with units during the Action Phase, something that few simultaneous turn games allow you to do. If you click on a unit during the Action Phase it gives you "realtime" information back to you, like who is shooting at it, current morale status, headcount, etc. But this interaction is one way. For example, you can see what your unit is shooting at, but can't tell it to target something else.

Hope this helps smile.gif

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 02-21-99).]