Anyone played steel fury by graviteam? Thoughts?

Sublime

Saw youtube footage of it modded last night it looked really good actually. Infantry and tank combat. Good looking graphics imo. And its only 20 bucks now but i wanted to know if any grogs had actually played it or the flaws? Same with its sucessor game that does the iran iraq war?

• 2 weeks later...

I keep looking at getting these every year (SFury and SABOW), but never buy them.  The last tank sim I played a lot of was Panzer Elite back in the day, and M1TP2, which was a very 'fun' sim as it had enough realism, and easily the best combined battlefield experience in any game at that time.  I still have the massive, beautiful coil-bound manual that came with it!  I thought about Steel Beasts, but the price and dated graphics (even after they updated it) keeps me away from that.  A modded CMBS blows SBPro away IMO.

SABOW lost out to ARMA 3 during the Xmas Steam sale this year, but I still have it and the expansion in my wishlist.  I think I'll get them during the summer sale.  If they had a demo, I probably would have bought it already.  I recall playing the demo for Steel Fury when it first came out, and enjoyed it, but the game was still full of bugs. If it was on Steam, I'd have it by now.  Why is it not on Steam?!  I tried the demos for their other games (Op Star, etc) and it was virtually impossible to figure out how to play them.  I could spend several days on youtube I suppose, but a game has has to be somewhat logical to figure out to begin with.  I don't think the tank games are as involved however.

Kind of funny but one of the reasons I finally got around to logging in back here was to see if anyone had played this as I just saw some videos last night.  I'm really jonesing for a good tank sim.  WoT and War Thunder, tried both and just didn't like either.

The only thing holding me back on SABOW was the lack of meaningful content updates.

Edited by PanzerBoxb

Kind of funny but one of the reasons I finally got around to logging in back here was to see if anyone had played this as I just saw some videos last night.  I'm really jonesing for a good tank sim.  WoT and War Thunder, tried both and just didn't like either.

The only thing holding me back on SABOW was the lack of meaningful content updates.

With the Basra expansion, it's certainly a good deal when it's on sale.  I think it was about $20 USD for both at Xmas.  I just didn't need another game gathering dust in my Steam library, so for once, I actually controlled my impulse-buying ;)  It's going to require a time commitment to learn by the sounds of things (complicated controls, poor tutorial, non-existent manual).  Looks very sim-like however, and includes some very unique theatres.

With the Basra expansion, it's certainly a good deal when it's on sale.  I think it was about $20 USD for both at Xmas.  I just didn't need another game gathering dust in my Steam library, so for once, I actually controlled my impulse-buying ;)  It's going to require a time commitment to learn by the sounds of things (complicated controls, poor tutorial, non-existent manual).  Looks very sim-like however, and includes some very unique theatres.

Those points are the other reason I held off.  The amount of free time I can commit to such a game is much more limited.

• 4 weeks later...

Have had Steel Fury for quite a while (haven't played it in a while either).  Graphics are ok given it's age and it does what it says on the box.  Tries and gets reasonably close to being more of a sim than arcade game.  Control scheme takes a little bit of effort to get used to but otherwise it's a fun enough experience if you play carefully - being a sim means death can come instantly and completely unseen.  Some pretty good add-on's from the mod community last time I checked as well, check their forums or SimHQ.  There aren't that many missions but you can get more.  You can also build your own scenarioes but from what I recall the editor is a bit difficult to master also.

As there's no other real ww2 tank sims on the market that I know of then I'd recommend it if you can pick it up for ~$10 or so.

Edited by Fenris