Final Blitzkrieg release update

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. I quit my FGM membership years ago because it felt more like a white supremacist/tea party kind of forum than a wargaming forum. Here too?

@umlaut, I had not noticed such regarding FGM since I joined in October 2014.  It is certainly Anglo-centrist but my Midwestern American sensibilities found nothing offensive; certainly sophomoric on occasion which lends to a bemusing kind of charm but nothing untoward.   I'm sorry your experience was negative.  I don't follow all the threads but those I do seem focused now on building a more viable CM gaming community.  I hope a return visit might prove more gratifying.  Good luck and good gaming!

We will name them Rocherath and Krinkelt :)

Perfect! 

I'll have to remember that, not to name children but perhaps my next two pets ;)

I'm heading out to the Ardennes to tour for 6 days in early May and have been doing a lot research lately.

Rocherath and Krinkelt, what an amazing battle.

I have stacks of old WWII magazines and came across this article from 1998: 

http://www.historynet.com/winter-fury-near-elsenborn-ridge-november-98-world-war-ii-feature.htm

(the magazine has better pictures)

Stuff like (quoted from memory): "Obama is a commie bastard", "Custer was a hero (for killing native americans)" and skinhead videos proclaiming White Power. I protested that I didn't think statements like that belonged in that forum, the administrator told me not to interfere with other users' freedom of speech. So I left.

Stuff like (quoted from memory): "Obama is a commie bastard", "Custer was a hero (for killing native americans)" and skinhead videos proclaiming White Power. I protested that I didn't think statements like that belonged in that forum, the administrator told me not to interfere with other users' freedom of speech. So I left.

Well sounds like you are forcing your opinion on others. If you dont like what you see just ignore it.. This is the internet in this day in age if you plan on hanging around on internet communities you cant be so soft skinned.

Well sounds like you are forcing your opinion on others. If you dont like what you see just ignore it.. This is the internet in this day in age if you plan on hanging around on internet communities you cant be so soft skinned.

Seriously? Its one thing to have the opinion that "Obama is a commie bastard". When people start glorifying Custer for killing native americans or post content that encourages or advocates for racist ideologies, there is a line that has been crossed. Doesn't sound like umlaut forced any opinions, and once being told to "not interfere" he effectively did ignore the forum, by leaving. 

But that doesn't mean it is wrong to point out that BS when you see it. In my opinion it is soft-skinned to observe those type of hateful messages, and continue to ignore it. Presumably that forum has some value as a wargaming site, so it is unfortunate that more people haven't been more vocal about it. 

So IMO, kudos to umlaut for not putting up with it. 

Ah no.  You have a misunderstanding of what free speech is - everyone is certainly allowed to create their own website and put forth what ever twaddle you like - that's free speech.  But to put forth whatever you like on someonelse's web site is not something you are entitled to do as free speech.  They might be happy to have those opinions on their web site, that is up to them and it would be up to the rest of us to decide if that was a comunity we want to be part of.  Sounds like @umlaut behaved like a grown up and decided to spend his time some where else.  That is a long way from trying to telling anyone else what their opinions should be.

I think perhaps it is you that might need a tougher skin.

Seriously? Its one thing to have the opinion that "Obama is a commie bastard". When people start glorifying Custer for killing native americans or post content that encourages or advocates for racist ideologies, there is a line that has been crossed. Doesn't sound like umlaut forced any opinions, and once being told to "not interfere" he effectively did ignore the forum, by leaving. 

But that doesn't mean it is wrong to point out that BS when you see it. In my opinion it is soft-skinned to observe those type of hateful messages, and continue to ignore it. Presumably that forum has some value as a wargaming site, so it is unfortunate that more people haven't been more vocal about it. 

So IMO, kudos to umlaut for not putting up with it. 

So, I agree with your point.  I have not seen anything like that over there in my short membership.  I very much hope not to but I'll make my judgement myself should the need arise.

Well we are veering well off into politics, but Umlaut I'd have done the same.  Now let's get back to CMFB.

Perfect! 

I'll have to remember that, not to name children but perhaps my next two pets ;)

I'm heading out to the Ardennes to tour for 6 days in early May and have been doing a lot research lately.

Rocherath and Krinkelt, what an amazing battle.

I have stacks of old WWII magazines and came across this article from 1998: 

http://www.historynet.com/winter-fury-near-elsenborn-ridge-november-98-world-war-ii-feature.htm

(the magazine has better pictures)

Thanks for that Ted, I have Krinkelt-Rocherath: The Battle for the Twin Villages, by William C.C. Cavanagh.  Actually both the first printing ad the later.  That is one of my favorite battle histories.

So, I agree with your point.  I have not seen anything like that over there in my short membership.  I very much hope not to but I'll make my judgement myself should the need arise.

To be clear, I've also had a short membership over there and have yet to have anything but a good experience. Friendly and civil discussion for the most part. I'll also reserve judgment until the point I see such rhetoric, if/when it ever occurs. 

Now clearly the forumites are getting restless! As sburke said, back to CMFB. 

Ah no.  You have a misunderstanding of what free speech is - everyone is certainly allowed to create their own website and put forth what ever twaddle you like - that's free speech.  But to put forth whatever you like on someonelse's web site is not something you are entitled to do as free speech.  They might be happy to have those opinions on their web site, that is up to them and it would be up to the rest of us to decide if that was a comunity we want to be part of.  Sounds like @umlaut behaved like a grown up and decided to spend his time some where else.  That is a long way from trying to telling anyone else what their opinions should be.

I think perhaps it is you that might need a tougher skin.

I never said anything about free speech. I am sure some people think Custer was a hero just like some people think the Holocaust never happend. Now I didnt mean to offend all I was trying to say is the internet is full of offensive things try not to take it to seriously. No need to come out and attack me  

To use a birth analogy;

Steve's baby is overdue. Steve has varicose veins and chronic backache from the long difficult pregnancy. Steve truly, wildly, ffing wants that baby out but baby ain't ready yet. Poor Steve.

We are Steve's long suffering husband :)

Too funny.

I suggest that Steve start self-medicating. I know I have.

And may the consequences to his unborn be damned! That's what patches are for.

Edited by BLSTK

Remember though that you are looking at this from a strictly American point of view. In Canada you cannot just spout off racist bull&%$# just for the fun of it (Ernst Zundal and his nemesis the Jewish Armed Resistance Movement come to mind).

The one thing that I have like about this forum is that you do not have many conspiracy idiots lurking about (though Steve has wielded the ban-hammer on a few and I have applauded him for it). It seems to be mainly those interested in the era, like the game and just want to discuss ideas and improvements. Good on them and so I will keep coming back.

I just await further expansions to the quick-battles as I would like to see the ability to add some fixed units and reinforcements to quick-battles to create a more scenario like feel. Though my time to play CMRT seems to be few and far between these days. Too many commitments and I have little time enough to spend on my hobby, and less time to spend on people that have no redeeming qualities. - release the hounds of struggle I say!

Something to mull over while we wait, and I'm happy to wait as incremental updates are still getting included.  I don't envy the web development required to ensure a smooth transition from the old store to the new, whilst ensuring all our customer records of sales, serials and copy protection neatly fall into place. Then stocking all those digital shelves and manning the checkouts!

"The CEO goes, 'We need it for 1 September.' That left five weeks to do it! Normally it'd be six to eight months to do a game, not five weeks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35560458

Edited by Wicky

Thanks for that Ted, I have Krinkelt-Rocherath: The Battle for the Twin Villages, by William C.C. Cavanagh.  Actually both the first printing ad the later.  That is one of my favorite battle histories.

Great book. I am soon going to go get that out of the library. I'm a fan of Cavanagh's works

One of my favorite passages that I have read from this article and also is brought up in other books about the Ardennes:

"Near Mildren’s CP in Krinkelt, a Tiger tank was wreaking havoc. Lieutenant Jesse Morrow, Mildren’s communications officer, watched as the 60-ton monster rolled over a jeep, flattening it. Grabbing a bazooka that had been flung from the jeep, Morrow aimed at the rear of the tank and fired. The tank rolled on a little, out of control, then careened into a house. A crewman stuck his head out of the top hatch, and Morrow fired his .45 at him until it was empty. Just then a second jeep came toward the young officer. Spotting another bazooka in the vehicle, he stopped the driver, grabbed the weapon and leaped around the corner, ready to fire. Then he froze. He was looking directly down the tank’s cannon. The tank’s gunner fired, and the concussion from the shell exploding behind him knocked Morrow unconscious. 

Coming to, Morrow saw the tank was a smoking hulk. He crawled back to the CP where Mildren, who had watched the entire scene unfold, could not believe that Morrow was still alive–alive, but not unscathed. The 88mm round from the Tiger had grazed Morrow’s neck as it passed, and he was bleeding profusely. Mildren ordered him evacuated immediately to a field hospital. As he was being loaded into an ambulance, Morrow noticed three badly burned German prisoners. A medic told him, "These guys were in the tank that shot you. A GI threw a thermite bomb down the turret." Smiling at the young American officer, one of the Germans asked, "Do you have a cigarette? Cigarette?" Morrow tried to get up. But with his fingers still clawing at the German, he dropped back, unconscious."

I'm psyched to get there during the tour. :)

LOL only problem with that article is there were no tigers in Krinkelt- it was all Panthers and Jagdpanzers.  :P   Still a great story though.  Part of why I love that book is all the photos and it has plenty documenting the destroyed armor.  I would ask a huge favor.  If you can get a map of the town and mark the house numbers I'll buy you your copy of the game.  I've always wanted to make sense of The Twin Villages moment by moment and while Cavanaugh names houses etc, there is no over view map to give perspective.

As owner of the FGM I guess I better reply to the accusations.

I am not aware of any white supremacist or Custer glorifying on the forums although I do believe I recall seeing Obama is a commie bastard somewhere along the way which led to me asking the guys on the forums to steer clear of politics and religion.  I also dont recall telling Umlaut to just ignore it... in fact I find it very hard to believe that i would ask someone to ignore neo-nazi videos when my gut instinct would be to remove them immediately.  Perhaps the passage of time has sullied ones experience of The Few Good Men... we pride ourselves on our sense of community and welcoming, friendly nature.  The door is always open for those that wish to come and join and equally for those that wish to leave.

Edited by Bootie

Ok...hands up.... I have found Umlauts resignation thread and yeah I guess I did seem a tad harsh at the time.  I apologize for that Umlaut but I still think your reading of the context was wrong.  Id also like to point out that Umlaut is referring to instances which happened 7 years ago.... only a few years into my tenure as a website owner.  I'd like to think I have mellowed a lot and that the FGM is a far better place these days in relation to dealing with members concerns and the general wellbeing of the community.  To have total transparency on this affair I have included the link to the rather unflattering discussion from 2009.

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/threads/enough-is-enough-umlaut-retiring.1232/#post-9712 

Ok...hands up.... I have found Umlauts resignation thread and yeah I guess I did seem a tad harsh at the time.  I apologize for that Umlaut but I still think your reading of the context was wrong.  Id also like to point out that Umlaut is referring to instances which happened 7 years ago.... only a few years into my tenure as a website owner.  I'd like to think I have mellowed a lot and that the FGM is a far better place these days in relation to dealing with members concerns and the general wellbeing of the community.  To have total transparency on this affair I have included the link to the rather unflattering discussion from 2009.

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/threads/enough-is-enough-umlaut-retiring.1232/#post-9712 

I have only been apart of FGM for a week or so, but everyone seems very nice