Russian army under equipped?

https://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/6205134interesting statement by Shoigu:
- 394k contract servicemen in the force
- in each regiment and brigade 2/3 battalions (BTGs?) are formed out of contract servicemen, 1/3 made out of conscripts is held de-facto in reserve
- 136 such BTGs are held at combat readiness at any point in time
- the force is manned to 95-100 percent

On 3/13/2019 at 4:38 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Look at the size of that goddam engine.....It's humongous!  :o

Just to give you a scale to measure... It seems to be just a tiny bit shy of a heavy fighter.

1683622_800.jpg

pereob3.jpg

Edited by IMHO

• 2 weeks later...

On the other end of the scary spectrum, it wouldn't be hard or expensive to field a bunch of these Antey (makers of the 40N6 missile for the S-400 Triumf) critters--which could then proceed to eat alive at least the smaller drones out there: Raven, quadcopters, Pioneer or anything along those lines. Because of it, things might develop like WW I where fighters were developed to protect the helpless recon aircraft. That, of course, is ignoring the thing's havoc raising potential in ground attack. Imagine a TOC getting chewed up,  Patriot radar shredded, API into POL or ammo, and let's not forget assassination. The concept was already shown on NCIS, where a murder was committed remotely using a drone with a semiautomatic pistol built in. This one's got a semiautomatic 12 gauge with a large magazine. Believe everyone who's not Russia or strongly allied with it needs to figure out a crash response, for even a few could cause all sorts of havoc. The Ukrainians, for example, would quickly lose those drones now enabling them to get PGM level performance from ordinary unguided artillery and mortar projectiles. FoxtrotAlpha calls this shotgun-toting drone a nightmare. Speaking as a student of warfare and a highly experienced former Threat Analyst, this drone could cause mayhem, in ways likely and also unexpected. Drone countermeasures will almost certainly become essential if it hits the field even as a handful of prototypes, and defenses for us and allies would probably be  a mix of soft kill and hard kill weapons. 

Regards,

John Kettler

It is interesting to see how in addition to the 3rd, 144th divisions on the border, 150th, 2nd, 4th, 42nd, 90th divisions in the send operational echelon we appear to be building two more in the Southern MD.

Those existing divisions alone would have 21-28 front line regiments between them, without accounting for brigades in the region. The positioning is also interesting, 3rd is sitting on the flank of the CTO forces and 150th behind the bulk of separatist forces.

Edited by ikalugin

13 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Not without a time-machine (or a CM:BS sequel**).  ;)

**  @Battlefront.com  Please, for the love of god.....Don't!  :P

So Battlefront, do some addon or vehicle pack or putYourName product, but do something! So far we have CMSF2 now and nothing else happens. Still waiting for the patches.

• 1 month later...

Well, after the 'Beast of Kandahar' took his little vacation, that technology became open source.  :D

The Russian drone is quite a bit bigger and probably a bit less stealthy, especially from the rear:

1690925_original.jpg

I suspect it's rather faster too and it definitely has much bigger payload bays.

1 hour ago, WhiteWolf65 said:

And I get shot down for wanting the inclusion of the Russian BMP-Tďťż (any version). Interesting.

I dunno about shot down, but going by Wikipedia at least:

The Russian Defence Ministry finally ordered the BMPT in August 2017. Deliveries of more than 10 vehicles were begun in early 2018.

and from the Black Sea Manual:

uDb4ldf.png

Now, you can absolutely make the case that US armour shouldn't have APS systems, since they certainly didn't at this time. I have no idea what the logistical chain would be to get Trophy onto Abrams in June 2017, and how plausible that is, but I imagine you could argue that it's not okay.

I'm not sure why you'd argue for kit that doesn't turn up in the period depicted in the game though.

Yea, strictly speaking there is a case for limiting many vehicles ie Oplots.

On the topic of UCAVs the idea is not new and predates the 2011 incident in Iran, for example there was Skat desighn, etc. Pic related.

c5d7c83f66a07676cfc97a01d62657ae.jpg

Skat began development in 2005 but finished in 2012 as it's competitor was lifting off so to speak.
Okhotnik-B contract was signed in 2011 after the MoD voiced desire to develop such an aircraft in 2009.

Edited by ikalugin

4 hours ago, WhiteWolf65 said:

And I get shot down for wanting the inclusion of the Russian BMP-T (any version). Interesting.

I think you might call this the 'Russian Maximum Optimism' thread.....It has a Ukrainian sibling.  :rolleyes:

A lot of us would like to see newer & more content.....While we might get the latter pretty soon, we've already been told that the former is not on the cards.  :mellow:

Nobody's shooting you down.....Just trying to save you some catching up.  ;)

3 hours ago, domfluff said:

Deliveries of more than 10 vehicles were begun in early 2018.

By my estimation that's about a battalion-set, three per company & HQ.....Hardly a vast contingent and while driving T-34s off the production line and straight into battle was fine in Stalingrad, things like a BMPT do require a bit more training. 

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

23 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

By my estimation that's about a battalion-set, three per company & HQ.....Hardly a vast contingent and while driving T-34s off the production line and straight into battle was fine in Stalingrad, things like a BMPT do require a bit more training. 

And what a BMP-T battalion TO&E looks like by your estimation? 🤔 'Cause seems like you know more than the Russian Army itself :) There's no tactical doctrine for BMP-T yet. Nobody knows what a separate BMP-T battalion should look like or should BMP-T be an integral capability to another unit? Armor? Mechanized? A heavy armored space troopers battalion may be? :D

PS And by the way what's the difference between a tank/BMP-T unit and a mixed Abrams/Bradley one in terms of basic capabilities?

Edited by IMHO

6 minutes ago, IMHO said:

And what a BMP-T battalion TO&E looks like by your estimation?

My assumption was that ten BMPTs was likely to be the complement appended to a Tank Battalion.....But it was only an assumption.  ;)

PS - By the way, what's a BMP-T?  :rolleyes: