Russian army under equipped?

HUSKER2142,

"Тайфун-М", агрегат 15Ц56М looks like some super duper artillery directions or battlefield surveillance platform, since it seems to be fitted with a wealth of sensors. 

Продукция Военно-промышленной компании looks like bad news for anyone in an armored Hummer armed with a puny by comparison .50 BMG. I find the factory built ZU-23 armed, armored technical intriguing. Is this part of the Russian light force unit under discussion? 

From the Mi-24 on, I have found Soviet/Russian attack helicopters scary because they are so nasty looking, even compared to the AH-64 Apache which is scary in its own right. The photos you provide are intelligence rich but viscerally upsetting to me. Hadn't seen a Russian helicopter fitted with an OH-58 type mast mounted radar before. Suspect it would be MMW like on the  Krizantema. Believe those two pods to either side of the sensor ball in the nose are probably RWR antenna housings. Not that US has much which could trigger them!

Very nice pic of the bagged ERA modules on the side of the T-72B3. The ВИП-персон looks most impressive and rather a la Terminator, too. BTR-87 looks pretty slick. I get that the ATGMs are Kornet-E, but what's the gun, please? To me, it looks considerably different than the 2A42. Is this vehicle going into production? If so, is it intended to be the low end of the force mix with the Kurganets-25 being the high end?

Though clearly it's an MRAP, I find the resemblance of the  КАМАЗ-63968 "Тайфун-К" to an American firetruck startling. 

Regards,

John Kettler

On 29.08.2017 at 1:30 AM, John Kettler said:

Продукция Военно-промышленной компании looks like bad news for anyone in an armored Hummer armed with a puny by comparison .50 BMG. I find the factory built ZU-23 armed, armored technical intriguing. Is this part of the Russian light force unit under discussion? 

It is possible for the same assault parts .For the same 56th brigade the machine is very suitable, as well as TIGR-M with a combat module (GAZ-233117) or Волк with a combat module (VPK-39271 ). The family of armored cars "VOLK" are developed according to the program similarly to MRAP.

I have experience managing an armored car TIGR with an American engine "Cummins" and a Russian engine "YAMZ". The latter has higher dynamic characteristics, fuel consumption is virtually identical. 

On 29.08.2017 at 1:30 AM, John Kettler said:

Very nice pic of the bagged ERA modules on the side of the T-72B3. The ВИП-персон looks most impressive and rather a la Terminator, too. BTR-87 looks pretty slick. I get that the ATGMs are Kornet-E, but what's the gun, please? To me, it looks considerably different than the 2A42. Is this vehicle going into production? If so, is it intended to be the low end of the force mix with the Kurganets-25 being the high end?

On the BTR-87 in the combat module a 2A72 cannon is installed, but there is a variant of the BPPU with  gun 2A42. Most likely BTR-87 was made for export for those who need price-quality. 
I liked the idea with the ATGM fastening on the BPPU, perhaps this option we will see the future on the BTR-82A / AM. There is a prerequisite for this, now BTR-82A is being tested with a thermal imaging sight, which may have a channel for the possibility of firing ATGMs.

http://saidpvo.livejournal.com/632654.html  "Army-2017" second day.

Edited by HUSKER2142

21 hours ago, Artkin said:

What ever happened to the btr 90? Now theyre going to use 87 instead?

The MoD of Russian at one time bought a company of 11 machines for testing in the troops. They participated even in parades somewhere in the Urals. As a result, they refused because the machine did not have significant advantages, and gave money to production on the BTR-82A / AM. BTR-87 is most likely an export machine, for those who care about price-quality customers.

• 1 month later...

Here's a  most informative (though unfortunately only in Russian with no English subtitles) video on 122 mm Tornado-G, the highly automated and vastly more potent replacement for the BM-21 Grad. I find the 40 km range I learned of elsewhere pretty shocking. There are several slo-mo sequences in here which are stunning. Bonus material includes a T-12 ATG firing and a  152 mm Msta-S SPH battery firing as well. Am quite jealous of the reporter!

Regards,

John Kettler

1. @John Kettler, a small correction. It's MT-12 not T-12. They differ in gun carriage.
  2. There's a bit of dark humour in what the reporter says: "Now I know if I need to send 40 missiles at the distance of 40 km I'll use only Tornado-G for this...", "The only thing one wants to spell in this beautiful musty night: 'Battery, 333!'"[and they fire...] Russian TV is really going not-so-slightly crazy :(
Edited by IMHO

Looks like the internets are getting shut down: :mellow:

"Russian soldiers face ban on selfies and blog posts"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41510592

"The Russian defence ministry has drafted a law to ban social media posts by professional soldiers and other military personnel on security grounds.
The bill says photos, videos and other material uploaded to the internet can reveal military details useful to an enemy. Automatic geolocation can show where a military unit is deployed.
The bill affects "contract" soldiers, who can be sent abroad, not conscripts.
Russian soldiers' posts have revealed forces deployed to Ukraine and Syria.
For example, in July 2014 the BBC's Myroslava Petsa tweeted an image of a post by a Russian soldier who proudly reported delivering Grad rockets to the pro-Russian rebels in Ukraine.

Ukraine's military is also concerned about its soldiers revealing too much on social media.
The Kyiv Post reported those concerns in 2015, when the fighting with pro-Russian rebels was more intense.
"There have been cases where positions were revealed, which led to active shelling," said Dmytro Podvorchansky of Ukraine's Dnipro-1 Regiment."

IMHO,

A most interesting video, but was it Russia's See Who Can Talk the Fastest Week or something? Am simply noit used to Russian (of which can follow very little anyway) delivered at such blistering speed, especially from the field reporter. Good grief? If journalism doesn't work out, I'm sure he'd do very well as an auctioneer or used car salesman! Also, it appears the Russians may have copied the US EOTech holographic sight. Does the video say anything specific about the troops shown concerning their nature? Given the face masks visible in places, I'm wondering whether these men are Spec Ops of the Spetsnaz persuasion, as opposed to MR troops?

Regards,

John Kettler 

32 minutes ago, John Kettler said:

If journalism doesn't work out, I'm sure he'd do very well as an auctioneer or used car salesman!

Used car salesmen... Yes, they moonlight as Russian TV journalists :rolleyes:

The used car salesman called them mere motorized riflemen. I'd say definitely not one of the top SpecOps units - some little things the men in the video do incorrectly. A guy rolls over - it's a mistake. A backpack or a missile launcher will not let him do it in real life. Plus when one rolls over he looses battlefield orientation for a second or two. I'd say they seem more like well trained line unit. And if that's the new standard for line units training it's a remarkably high standard...

Edited by IMHO

6 hours ago, Machor said:

Looks like the internets are getting shut down: :mellow:

"Russian soldiers face ban on selfies and blog posts"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41510592

"The Russian defence ministry has drafted a law to ban social media posts by professional soldiers and other military personnel on security grounds.
The bill says photos, videos and other material uploaded to the internet can reveal military details useful to an enemy. Automatic geolocation can show where a military unit is deployed.

I'm honestly surprised to know it was ever even allowed!  Is this allowed in US or other NATO militaries?  Maybe it's just the industry I work in, but I've always been under scrutiny - can't use cameras or anything of the sorts while working without express permission from those higher on the totem pole than me. :) 

17 hours ago, HerrTom said:

Is this allowed in US or other NATO militaries?

I did a quick search for the US and Canada, and it appears that they leave it to soldiers' own judgement:

"Facebook posting guidance for Soldiers"

"Military warns soldiers not to post info on Facebook"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/military-warns-soldiers-not-to-post-info-on-facebook-1.765328

"The Defence Department is advising Canadian soldiers not to post personal photos and information on social networking websites like Facebook, citing security concerns.

The advisory was circulated in a memo obtained by CBC News. It warns soldiers not to appear in uniform in online photos and not to disclose their military connections.

"Al Qaeda operatives are monitoring Facebook and other social networking sites," the memo says.

"This may seem overdramatic … [but] the information can be used to target members for further exploitation. It also opens the door for your families and friends to become potential targets as well."

The Defence Department says it is also concerned with postings of photos and information from the battlefront in Afghanistan.

On Feb. 14, military official Brig.-Gen. Peter Atkinson warned against such battle scene postings.

"The insurgents could use this information to determine their success or their lack of it … and determine better ways to attack us," he told reporters in Ottawa."

• 2 weeks later...

Sexy new beast:  http://gurkhan.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/3_17.html#more

1.jpg

fe37112e2d2e420ab06f2a95059b9e48.jpeg

0e8ebdb5a3bc4db9b219d94f271e164a.jpeg

BMP-3 Dragoon.....Finally a BMP with the proper layout and a decent ramp!  :D

Does this add any weight to the rumour that Kurganets is in trouble I wonder.....Regardless it looks like a nice counterpart for all the updated T-80s & T-90s (& ancient T-72s) we'll be seeing in the next update (he says, hopefully)!  :P

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

On 10/6/2017 at 5:21 AM, HerrTom said:

I'm honestly surprised to know it was ever even allowed!  Is this allowed in US or other NATO militaries?  Maybe it's just the industry I work in, but I've always been under scrutiny - can't use cameras or anything of the sorts while working without express permission from those higher on the totem pole than me. :) 

Thanks to them Ukraine got a ton of trackable proof of all the magnitude of russian invasion. Not to mention the absolute need of russians to boast about said invasion helped with MH17 investigation. And then of course there are russian war crimes in Syria that they themselves can't help but film and upload to the internet. So no wonder the government wants to put a stop to it - there's only so many lines can be crossed before it will be too much

16 minutes ago, kraze said:

there are russian war crimes in Syria that they themselves can't help but film

As old as photography, ultimately; 'war tourism' is a common theme - just look at how much photographic evidence the Germans unwittingly amassed against themselves in WWII. More recent examples too; like Abu Ghraib, the Balkans, etc.