Russian army under equipped?

4 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Oh @#!####$#@! good grief, John. That's a plane from a movie:rolleyes::rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stealth_(film)

And you wonder why your credibility here on such matters is near zero?

AFAIK, Youtube sometimes ends up with random still images from other things for the static link to a video, presumably stuff they have determined works well as click bait.  Especially boobies, but sometimes sci-fi planes.

On 08/10/2016 at 8:34 PM, John Kettler said:

Also, I have no idea what that keyframe is about--other than to make us think that's the worst nightmare for the US? Whatever it is, if it's even real, appears to be in US markings and is most definitely not the Tu-214R.

I had no intention to come into this as a newbie - and I'm aware of Kettler's 'other' work - but he did state this.

2 hours ago, akd said:

AFAIK, Youtube sometimes ends up with random still images from other things for the static link to a video, presumably stuff they have determined works well as click bait.  Especially boobies, but sometimes sci-fi planes.

My forum skimmer notified me that there was "boobies" in this thread. Thanks. ;)

Fresh news where I WOULD HAVE BACKED PUTIN - if he weren't committing crimes against Humanity: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-37505131 . When I was living in Russia, I heard resentment from many Tatars that their contribution to the Great Patriotic War was belittled, and that there was no recognition for the first man to raise the Red Banner on the Reichstag, who they believed had been a Turk (https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Кошкарбаев,_Рахимжан ). Therefore, I'm against the grain of BBC's criticism of Russia's would-be war blockbuster :

"Putin backs WW2 myth in new Russian film"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37595972

Edited by Machor
The explanation for why this is in the CMBS forum and not CMRT was not posted for some reason.

I've been trying to edit my post and it isn't working; here's the explanation for why I posted in the CMBS forum and not CMRT: I did not want to start a new thread, and was sold on the following comment in the article: "The Kremlin promotes the idea of World War Two as a heroic victory that united the Soviet state against fascism - and still unites Russia today against a similar threat they say has resurfaced in Ukraine."

On 10/8/2016 at 7:34 PM, John Kettler said:

I have no idea what that keyframe is about

13 hours ago, LukeFF said:

I have no idea what that keyframe is about

Perhaps it's time you had your eyes checked? If not, what part of "I have no idea" was beyond your comprehension? I NEVER saw the film, so how on Earth was I supposed to know where that aerospace craft was from? Once again, without ANY provocation from me, you've chosen to be nasty. I'm sure your mum's proud of you!

Sublime,

You are quite good at referring to the closed by BFC matter by allusion to damage me without having to own it and without my being able to explain what happened. I have thanked you privately and publicly for your most helpful tutelage (however slow I was on the uptake; it was a lot to take in for someone who barely knew the game).  Please stop bringing up yet another matter I'm not supposed to discuss. That same stricture, recall, applies to you as well!

Also, I think you live in Opposite World, since it's VladimirTarasov who's gotten the kid glove treatment when compared to me. I guarantee you his guts weren't turned into knots and his head savaged by the stress of multitudinous individual and group attacks against him--even after telling his attackers they were damaging his health and asking them to stop. I can't see any scenario in which what's been said to him has put him in bed for days on end, nor cost him four (4) months of recovery progress from a TBI and wrecking his ability to play CM as a result. He hasn't been attacked for years on end by the same still unpunished trio. Nor has he been called all sorts of names or had his name deliberately besmirched to new arrivals.

As for the F-111, it is clear you have no understanding of its designed role vs that of a MiG-21, regardless of a common time frame. The F-111 was originally conceived as a intermediate range nuclear strike aircraft, whereas the MiG-21 was designed as a short range point defense interceptor operating under strict GCI procedures.

TheForwardObserver,

That artillery story was disturbing reading, but I thought the analysis Ibooth did in Comments was quite informative, as was someone else's terrifying observation on how little artillery capability Germany has these days.

Wicky,

I've heard of field expedients, but that wooden Garmin mount breaks new ground.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Machor the myth is of the Panfilovs 8 or whatever. Its been proven they didnt all die that some were captured others never were. It was found out in 1949, pressure was applied to bury it and its come up again with the usual cries of people being " unpatriotic traitors " the sad part is there are plenty of true stories of to the death struggles involving Russian troops and Nazis that you.d think the Kremlin could just use something true. Even once..

Edited by Sublime

So JK I hate to say it but if you.re going to play the victim card so hard then for one - if your health is involved then why the hell do you keep coming back?

Who is " the trio " because Im only coming up with 2 names that consistenly have disliked you over the years but then again -

Its beem pointed out to you repeatedly that you make posts that others see as hogwash and you never can back up any of your conspiracy theories. You were told to stop doing those things and yet kept posting outlandish conspiracy theories making you a target for ridicule. Youve done so for years as well. Also for years youve gone on sprees and poated about 4 to 6 threads in maybe 5 or 6 forums thats just full of essentially youtube trash that half the time you omly read the description of before rushing to post it here. You also do the same " spamming " of threads. Whilst sometimes u avtually do find gems, its drowned out by the wall of links and times youre dead up wrong about what youre own sources youre quoting are saying.

Finally cmon man I really thought you were bigger than that to hide behind some arbitrary forum rules. I dont know what you were told privately in an argument with someone else by the mods, but you were told to drop it and my name was thrown in because you kept going on  and on and pming me etc when i told you to drop it and leave me alone. Seriously guy it was like you went stalker on me when i said i cusdnt help you anymore and questioned your integrity by how you were operating your end of the game.  Thats still not a stricture on me saying anything about it ay all even in passing nor you, we dropped it at the time and i dont intend to argue it in circles with you.

I do have to say that whilst i  can see people using rules and there necessity its hard to find sympathy for ppl who keep getting hurt making the same dumb mistakes. You could stop posting.. crap... or you could stop posting here if it affects your health. However i find it funny your health is being hurt by internet posts ( you claim )

Yet you can spend hours everyday online trolling through academic stuff and posting endless messages. Your above was a several paragraph rebuttal. Which.. i dont know ive known people with TBIs and your pretty with it JK and I honestly think youre exagerrating it and hiding behind it when convenient when your urge to almost in a tourettes like manner post YT vids or conspiract theories gets you made fun. Of. And really JK its just typed words on a message board.  Idk man its the internet toughen up or something.

Just to chip in:

I don't think Kettler always operates in the same reality we do, and I think it could be a mental health issue.  It doesn't matter either way.

From my understanding there's some weirdo bargain in which Kettler keeps his posting based in our reality and understanding of the world as much as he can, and there's some acceptance that he's a little all over the place on an official level.  I understand it must be a struggle for him to not blast us all with "the truth" and keeping that all locked up must be difficult, even if we all really appreciate it because again, I've seen some off forums Kettler stuff, and I've consumed some woo stuff because it amuses me* and his stuff is out there.  

My first job post being on active duty was working in the mental health end of things on the care side of things (the military to civilian transition sucks yo).  I can't make a diagnosis because haha not even sort of able to do that.  But when we dealt with people who legitimately believed the space aliens were going to get them, or their boobs had names and told them to do things (true story), the best practice was to engage them in reality based conversation.  This helps them stay connected to the world at large, and focused on what's happening vs trying to tell them what is 100% real to them is totally wrong and they need to get smart.

I get that it's troublesome when we're dealing with fringy Kettler vs sort of on topic Kettler.  But looking at what he says elsewhere, it's apparent he's putting effort into not being totally cray cray loco here.  But let's just give him his space to post stuff that's at least remotely on topic, address it if it is actually on topic, and otherwise just let it go.  It's what I've been doing and I feel like it's turned out pretty okay.

*I have a thing for conspiracy theories, paranormal stuff, cyptozoology etc.  I believe absolutely none of it, but as fiction goes it's often fun as long as it doesn't get too in the weeds.  Like as even more of a tangent, I'm less interested in the "proof" as assembled from random references and partly redacted out of context documents, and more interested in the "story" that the UFO below Roswell's** hanger 29.4 is used to fight crime and evil ghosts by a team of ESP using hyper intelligent hedgehogs.

**Even further off tangent, the wife is actually from Roswell.  I am fairly sure she is only from Venus in the figurative sense vs the literal though.

On 10/9/2016 at 1:55 PM, Sublime said:

As far as gps reliability anyways, though obviously we.re light years ( or 13 ) frm the 03 invasion of iraq even then military gps not having streets in it ( does the US mil gps now ) had disastrous results most famously for Jessica Lynch and the 509th.

Adding geocoding or reverse geocoding combined with a layer of map data has nothing to do with reliability of a GPS system, although you could argue a more accurate map layer is always of some use.

On 10/9/2016 at 2:28 PM, panzersaurkrautwerfer said:

We actually used civilian GPS pretty extensively because the various civilian models were a lot handier for dismounted work.  The US Army models generally were kept mounted to vehicles as they interfaced with all those onboard systems.

It's still worth asking why Russian's frontline high readiness planes are relying on US civilian model GPS units to figure out where they're at.

Like I was saying, if that civilian GPS model was made within the past few years, you were probably accessing both the U.S. GPS sat system, and the Russian GLONASS sat system at the same time.  Double the number of satellites means more accuracy, less signal interruption and noise, multipathing, etc, etc,  GPS sats need line of sight to the receiver, so the more sats on different angles, the better.

I would guess the Russian military navigation systems only use GLONASS (just like I would guess the U.S. military only access GPS) so they don't become reliant on the other side's data.  I am guessing it is cheaper right now to quickly update military navigation equipment with civilian stuff right now that accesses both satellite networks (and will access Galileo when it goes online fully), than updating their military spec navigational system with the latest receivers and signal processing software to bring GLONASS alone up to the required level of accuracy.

You also don't need to knock out the satellites to wreck a GPS system.  It would be easy to 'spoof' all the messages with slightly different message times and rebroadcast.  These systems are super sensitive to timing issues -- I mean if they didn't account for time dilation and time passing slower for the sats than it does on earth, even if that is only 1 second a day difference, that would equal a 10km a day drift.  It would also be easy to create enough interference to just block the signal.  

Sublime,

It is moderated forum, one in which every Member agreed to adhere to a clear, specific set of rules. Those attacking me have flouted them for years on end, but that doesn't mean the Forum Rules don't exist, merely that selective enforcement has been applied by an Admin who isn't Steve. I have every right to be here. Nor should I have to defend myself from attacks in the first place. They are, after all, clearly and explicitly forbidden, as is baiting. I've said, many times, this is my principal point of contact with a much larger world than would otherwise be the case. Most of the the people here are good and kind. I love being here. I should be able to go about my lawful occasions without being harassed, let alone attacked. It is the responsibility of the Mod or Mods to ensure the Forum Rules are followed and enforced. Why should I let the board bullies win? As it is, they've driven a number of people off the Forums and intimidated others to the point where they dare not post anything which might make them the target. Have had both PMs and E-mails to that effect.

Regarding the missing part of the trio, how can you possibly have been here as long as you have and not know who the three are? Not only have I called them out a bunch of times, but others here have, too. One I just called out, another seldom misses an opportunity to jump on me, enough to get called on it by other Members, and the last is well known and seen by others and myself as being in a kind of protected category by virtue of his work for BFC. He was strictly warned circa 2013, after a torrent of attacks against me got one (or was it two?) people banned, that he was going to be instantly banned the next time he attacked me, Sadly, despite numerous breaches by him since, that hasn't been enforced. The one who was banned was a high profile, prolific in his posts, Member.

Since you've been around for so long, how is it that you seem compelled to keep bringing up things I haven't done in years--knowing full well I can't talk about them to defend myself? I am perfectly capable of doing so when my arms aren't tied firmly behind my back, which is exactly the situation here. Practically speaking, there are zero negative consequences for attacking me. I have offered my detractors a level playing field in which I get not just to be hit but hit back. No takers. 

As for my TBI, I am neither faking nor exaggerating it, how grueling the recovery has been and is, and the very real damage those vicious people did to me. Do let me know what your experience has been with losing your sense of smell one day, having speech problems on another, problems writing because something gets crossed up in the brain finger coordination, inability at times to do the simplest mental math, having almost no short term memory at times (four trips downstairs once before I finally did what I'd intended) and much more. There is another person with a TBI here. Perhaps he can enlighten you on what it's like having a TBI. In my case, it's on top of two congenital neurological problems and the cumulative effects of four car wrecks and other experiences I don't recommend. I was on medical restrictions for four years regarding sit-ups, pushups and anything else likely to put pressure on my brain, and it takes very little to put me into heat distress, too.

If I write a long post, understand it takes me a considerable amount of time to do so. I have carefully considered every word here. Do I sometimes exhibit unwarranted exuberance, if you will? Yes, I do. This happens to be part of my neurological wiring, and my ability to control it is very much affected by things like sleep and stress. Thus, the more people hammer me, the more likely they are to get behavior that sets them off! Your recollection of why your name was dragged in is incorrect. Please review the relevant OP. As for words, your mother, say, may've taught you "sticks and stones...words can never hurt me." but she was flat out wrong. If words can elicit the highest expression of who we are, evince debasement beyond imagining, maintain peace or call nations to war, then rest assured they can not only harm but kill!

Social Media and Suicide: A Public Health Perspective

David D. Luxton, PhD,corresponding authorJennifer D. June, BA, and Jonathan M. Fairall, BS

(excerpt Fair Use)

"Cyberbullying typically refers to when a child or adolescent is intentionally and repeatedly targeted by another child or teen in the form of threats or harassments or humiliated or embarrassed by means of cellular phones or Internet technologies such as e-mail, texting, social networking sites, or instant messaging.17 Cyber harassment and cyber stalking typically refer to these same actions when they involve adults. A review of data collected between 2004 and 2010 via survey studies indicated that lifetime cyberbullying victimization rates ranged from 20.8% to 40.6% and offending rates ranged from 11.5% to 20.1%.18

Cyberbullying, when directly or indirectly linked to suicide, has been referred to as cyberbullicide.14"

That is only the tip of the damage iceberg.

http://www.miamiherald.com/living/article1961770.html

Chronic stress is linked to the six leading causes of death

(excerpt Fair Use)

"According to the American Psychological Association, chronic stress is linked to the six leading causes of death: heart disease, cancer, lung ailments, accidents, cirrhosis of the liver and suicide. And more than 75 percent of all physician office visits are for stress-related ailments and complaints.

Chronic stress can affect your brain, suppress your thyroid, cause blood sugar imbalances, decrease bone density and muscle tissue, raise blood pressure, reduce your immunity and ability to heal, and increase fat deposits around your abdomen that are associated with heart attacks, strokes and elevated “bad” cholesterol."

The people attacking me are knowingly, willfully and with malice aforethought doing what I've many times told them is not merely upsetting but even cruel and directly damaging to me. Yet they keep doing it. This is simply inhumane and inhuman behavior. It should be dealt with as such; should've been dealt with years ago. Full stop.

panzersaurkrautwerfer,

Shall have to read what you said several times carefully, so I can figure out how to respond.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Steve please do not lock the thread because of this, it's been strong for 66 pages. Guys I'm enjoying the military arguments we had on here, so please let's get back on topic.

I'd like to bring us back on topic by talking about how the Russian army is under equipped in terms of luck... Playing a PBEM and had a Bulat laugh at my T-72B3 :D and by laugh I mean ate my shell and blew my tank to pieces, surely the Russian army is under equipped in game luck wise? :D  

9 hours ago, Sublime said:

It was found out in 1949, pressure was applied to bury it and its come up again

I have no illusion that the story may be real - even the Russian wikipedia article admits it isn't. My point is that it disseminates a truth for the public. Think about Sands of Iwo Jima: Sgt Stryker's squad would have to be transferred out of the 2nd Marine Division after Tarawa so that they could fight at Iwo. Or here in Canada, General Brock is a national hero, even though he mistrusted Canucks (with very good reason).

For the academically inclined, I'm arguing that the truth value in a myth is in the signified, not the signifier. This may be of interest: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythologies_(book)

9 hours ago, Sublime said:

the sad part is there are plenty of true stories

When I was in Russia, they found the wreck of an IL-2 in a forest, and recovered the remains of the Ukrainian pilot and his Tatar rear-gunner. Unfortunately, real life rarely makes for good story-telling. They could have gone with Amet-khan Sultan, but that might have opened a can of worms with Crimea.

BTW, I'm aware how the topic expands to issues of De-Sovietization, Eurasianism, etc. and don't intend to go there. I'm just looking forward to watch this movie - PTRD FTW! :D

Edited by Machor
I had 'bodies' instead of 'remains.' I wasn't around in the 40s.

5 hours ago, hattori said:

You also don't need to knock out the satellites to wreck a GPS system.  It would be easy to 'spoof' all the messages with slightly different message times and rebroadcast.  These systems are super sensitive to timing issues -- I mean if they didn't account for time dilation and time passing slower for the sats than it does on earth, even if that is only 1 second a day difference, that would equal a 10km a day drift.  It would also be easy to create enough interference to just block the signal.

Thank you for this information. I infer that both sides would get better returns from investing in EW than blowing money on R&D for STAR WARS (TM). I have to start tinkering with those EW settings in my QBs.

[Goes off to try playing the Italians in CMFI.]

c3k,

You forgot to ship the magic decoder ring for "TL;DR:", so I had to go look it up. The matters under discussion are complex, fraught, and there is a great deal at stake. Not just for me, either. Consequently, I find it necessary to really lay out the issues and provide the supporting details. When I don't, I get jumped on; when I do, I get jumped on. In the latter case here, people can see there is in fact a solid basis for what I'm saying. Here are but some of the symptoms associated with so-called "mild TBI," which is what I have.

31 minutes ago, VladimirTarasov said:

Russian army is under equipped in terms of luck

VladimirTarasov,

I've been here on the Forums now for sixteen years, during which no one ever identified this obviously deadly defect in Russian military equippage. Is this grave (in several levels of meaning) problem some sort of hidden counterbalance to ceaselessly rotating Ukrainian TCs? I don't want this enormously meaty thread closed ,either, but neither will I play target drone.

TheForwardObserver,

Am of the firm belief that what a nation does as part of COIN shouldn't necessarily coincide with what it does in major combat. Should it come to that, PCness for reputational brownie points should instantly give way to the importance of dumb cluster munitions and SFW.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

You want the turn from the bulats perspective? :)

Also hattori i contend a more accurate gps that included streets for the US in the Battle of Nasiriya would have been huge in 03 and probably prevented the entire disastrous 509th maintenance company incident and everything after it as well. Who knows how many other incidents in that invasion we dont know about because the 2 gis in the humvee got riddled with bullets and killed when they made a wrong turn, or on the other side of the coin how many times did we not hear about it because some lost humvees found their column and well compared with the ambush 5 minutes later it just got forgot to be brought up what with the lack of batteries, lubricants, ammo, bla bla.

So of moderate use? I dont know. Certainly its more useful in specific circumstances. I guess if youre not in danger of being killed by it its not of moderate use. If you were say Jessica Lynch it may seem those would have been of immense use.

Edited by Sublime

16 minutes ago, Sublime said:

You want the turn from the bulats perspective? :)

Hehe this guy here is a good commander.

32 minutes ago, Machor said:

Vid or it never happened. :P

I'm not saying it's a bug or anything, the armor spalled but I'll just assume the Era probably was quite effective. Anyways, I wasn't complaining my opponent is competent. :D 

Edited by VladimirTarasov

32 minutes ago, John Kettler said:

I've been here on the Forums now for sixteen years, during which no one ever identified this obviously deadly defect in Russian military equippage. Is this grave (in several levels of meaning) problem some sort of hidden counterbalance to ceaselessly rotating Ukrainian TCs? I don't want this enormously meaty thread closed ,either, but neither will I play target drone.

Sometimes Rus equipment does falter more often than I expect but I don't think it's deliberate. The Ukrainians face some issues in war fighting as well, big factor being spotting issues. But of course I'm not qualified to tell you whether it's in-accurate modelling or just literally bad luck.

VladimirTarasov,

I was being a bit playful regarding your "discovery" and the possible "hidden counterbalance" it may've represented to the heavily mentioned UA rotating TC problem (forget which tank, not that I really know how to tell which is what). I seriously doubt there's any parameter fudging going on at all.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler