Russian army under equipped?

17 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

PS - By the way, what's a BMP-T?  :rolleyes:

Tank Combat Support Vehicle. The latest fade is to call them BMOP - Combat Fire Support Vehicle.

17 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

My assumption was that ten BMPTs was likely to be the complement appended to a Tank Battalion.....But it was only an assumption.  ;)

To make it short BMP-T is just an ugly brood of excessive military budgets and dire needs for more money of Russian weapons producers. There's no coherent military science behind it.

Edited by IMHO

3 hours ago, ikalugin said:

There is BMPT the tank support vehicle and BMPT the heavy IFV. Late Soviet terminology was a bit weird.

Thank you - haven't heard about it for ages. Actually IMHO even a dumb yet reliable HEFRAG design for 2A42 and 2A72 would do immensely more good to Russian Army at a fraction of cost of all these shiny toys. Just "a fraction of cost" is exactly the opposite of how Russian military industrial complex operates today.

Edited by IMHO

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Erwin said:

Notice how the troops have lost their flak jackets when filmed going out the top when vehicle is in water.  Not very compelling promo.

Due to the cuts you do not even know if there were dismounts within the vehicle when it went into the water. So what are you going to complain about next, the use of non standard cammo? The use of RPD? Lack of heavy backpacks etc?

Edited by ikalugin

2 hours ago, ikalugin said:

So what are you going to complain about next, the use of non standard cammo? The use of RPD? Lack of heavy backpacks etc?

Just pointing out inconsistencies.  As you say, we have no idea if the vehicle was safe enuff to risk having passengers aboard when it went into the water.  I agree with you, probably the vehicle is a death trap.

33 minutes ago, Erwin said:

Just pointing out inconsistencies.  As you say, we have no idea if the vehicle was safe enuff to risk having passengers aboard when it went into the water.  I agree with you, probably the vehicle is a death trap.

Well that is a strawman if I ever saw one. I never mentioned anything about it being a death trap. I was only pointing out that this is a promotional material made to look cool (whatever that may be in the eye of the video's director), not to be final evidence towards any specific capability (or lack of).

Going after the video in the way you are doing is just silly.

Safety wise - considering the experience of the manufacturer in making amphib vehicles, increased internal sealed volume, decrease in dense weight (no turret or relevant ammo) I would say that it is a decent fording vehicle, better than previous IFVs.

Edited by ikalugin

Not a huge fan of this vehicle, either. I didn't like how the dismounts had to open and close those 4 metal doors. They have to be fairly light to be pushed upwards, probably offering sub-par protection. Why couldn't the doors be motor operated, like in the Warrior or Bradley? Besides that, the casemate makes the silhouette tall, and the upper frontal armour is not as sloped as the glacis. Good target.

I wonder how the doors work on the BTR-T.

Edited by DerKommissar

Door weight scales with the door size as well. If there are no hydrolics (or other system) operating the door then there is nothing to go wrong in combat in that respect.

Casemate is there to increase volume for bouancy and creature comforty.

The doors work the same way on BTR-T.

On 7/4/2019 at 3:29 PM, Erwin said:

As you say, we have no idea if the vehicle was safe enuff to risk having passengers aboard when it went into the water.  I agree with you, probably the vehicle is a death trap.

It's been sold to Indonesia already. Passed their trials.

16 hours ago, IMHO said:

It's been sold to Indonesia already. Passed their trials.

Must be brilliant then.  :)

However, am reminded that those exploding washing machines recalled in UK recently probably also passed their trials.  Time will tell, so no worries...