WWII Phonetic Alphabet

Hey, these are World War II battles! "Charlie" for 'C' is fine, but I don't want to see After Action Reports using the present "Alpha, Bravo, and Delta" when it should be "Able, Baker, and Dog." Can someone please post the WWII phonetic alphabet? The only letters I recall, in addition to those already given, are Easy, Fox, Golf, Hotel, King, Mike, Nancy, Papa, Sugar, Tare, Whiskey, and Zebra. (And I'm not sure of some of these.) Anyway, let's do it right!

If someone has the WWII Limey and Kraut phonetic alphabets, I'd like to see them, too.

------------------

Airborne Combat Engineer Troop Leader (1966-1968)

[This message has been edited by MOS was 71331 (edited 12-23-99).]

can't help much with the actual words, but IIRC, when the US and the UK started working together on a regular basis they decided that it made sense that they both use the saem phonetic alphabet. I think the USs' was adopted (?)

A quick glance at each of the sector names on the 5 beaches in Normandy should be able confirm this (I hope! Don't have any references at work ... frown.gif )

Regards

Jon

------------------

Ubique

Thanks "not here." By the way, that's some link you supplied! It told me a lot more than I wanted to know about the topic.

I vaguely recall German soldiers or pilots in some WWII movies I've seen using what passed for German phonetic letters in dialog spoken in English. Something like "Anton" or "Adolf" for 'A', for example. It would have sounded phoney for them to say "Able," but the screen writer probably used something he thought sounded German rather than the official Wehrmacht phonetic -- if there was one.