[Released] The Lions of Carpiquet - A CMBN Campaign

4 hours ago, Anthony P. said:

Edit: Good thing I mentioned the mission name, since I got the number wrong. I'm talking of the 3rd mission of course, it's easy to forget the tiny recce mission that started the campaign when you've spent hours organizing a thousand wildly scattered Canadians!

Yeah usual problem. ;) 'Mission 0' is essentially just a check to see if you get early warning about a certain something in the big fight coming up. The Canadians knew roughly what they were up against going into the fight after overlooking the airfield for some time prior to July 4. I wanted to give the player some game like opportunity to have the same intel before going in.

• 11 months later...

Hi

This is a great work mate!  One of the best campaign i've play.  More than challenging( i've save a lot lol), and quite an accurate work.  I've read Zuehlke books, would own them all if i wasnt short in $$$.  You did great with the engine limitation.

More comments when i'm done with it!

11 hours ago, Iksender said:

Hi

This is a great work mate!  One of the best campaign i've play.  More than challenging( i've save a lot lol), and quite an accurate work.  I've read Zuehlke books, would own them all if i wasnt short in $$$.  You did great with the engine limitation.

More comments when i'm done with it!

Thanks mate. Where are you up to at this point? Let us know your thoughts when you get to the end and what outcome you received. I assume you are playing with the version 4.0 upgrade. It was built under version 3.0 so no idea if any bugs or problems have been introduced but I'd be surprised if there was anything serious.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks, hope you enjoy. :)

Call me overly competitive in the wrong areas but it's good to see this one still towards the top of the dload count over at the Scenario Depot even after all this time. Hope the folks who have played through it found it enjoyable or at least got some use out of the master maps for some MP action. You don't get much feedback as a designer...

• 3 months later...

Recently got back to this brilliant campaign. Just played Mission 3. I took a bit of a pounding from Jerry arty fire whilst clearing the bunker complex on the left. Whilst in the centre I got a toe hold in Hanger 1 before all hell broke loose, and with no F...ing tanks I hit Cease Fire for a Minor Victory. So far that's one Tac V, and two Minors. Which means I'll have to crush the Jerries in "Digging them Out". Wish me luck.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2018 at 2:36 PM, Warts 'n' all said:

Recently got back to this brilliant campaign. Just played Mission 3. I took a bit of a pounding from Jerry arty fire whilst clearing the bunker complex on the left. Whilst in the centre I got a toe hold in Hanger 1 before all hell broke loose, and with no F...ing tanks I hit Cease Fire for a Minor Victory. So far that's one Tac V, and two Minors. Which means I'll have to crush the Jerries in "Digging them Out". Wish me luck.

Oooh nice. That's actually the historical track you're on then. 'Digging them out' is what I'd focus on if I were to make this into one semi-historical scenario. The Allied Player has 'all the toys' so to speak.

Don't be upset about what happened in the 'No F.... tanks' engagement. Pretty much the historical outcome. It was only when I was designing the map after reading some accounts from this infantry battalion that I realised the sheer stupidity of this approach. With most of 3rd Canadian Infantry Division staff already planning for the larger Charnwood operation, most of Windsor's planning was done at the Brigade level. Maybe this is partly the blame for the bad approach direction. There wasn't much oversight from Division or anyone else with Windsors planning. Missing that extra pair (or multiple sets) of fresh eyes to look over the plans and point out problems.

Sorry to hear about your health, trust everything is well.

• 6 months later...

Like others, I am having problems with crashing during the arty strike on mission 2.  After playing countless CM battles, this is the first time a battle has crashed on me. I am able to plot and play the first minute when the strikes originate.  But as soon as I press the red button, the game stops and boots me out instead of playing the second minute.  

I have a higher end iMac.  I also tried lowering all of the graphics options (I normally always use "best" without issue) and even quit safari which I normally run in the background while playing a CM game. I tried restarting several times from older files.  Always the same result.

As a Canadian, I was hoping to play this one.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...cheers

I also am having the mission 2 problem of my computer crashing after the first minute. I've tried it several times with various combinations including having absolutely ZERO artillery called in to start or even timed for arrival but still the same result - crash and burn. Like ChappyCanuck, I am Canadian and would love to play this campaign. 

Okay I loaded up the mission file and plotted all the artillery missions and hit go and everything played smoothly. There will be a 'pause' given the amount of orders that needs to be initially processed even before the progress bar pops up, so don't hit any other key or mouse button even though it looks like the game has suddenly frozen up. I think that will cause a crash to desktop (a CM thing). Needless to say the progress bar will also not be at it's fastest. :) This scenario is certainly on the scale of the CMFI stock scenario "Hot Mustard" which also put some strain on people's computers when CMFI was released. (I didn't make it! :D )

A few ideas:

- To confirm you do own the vehicle pack? The game shouldn't let you play this campaign if you don't but thought I'd check.

- It could be your PC. (Mac's sorry I'm out of ideas...) I'm running an i7 that's a few generations old now but still plays anything CM2 can throw at it.

- Mods being used. I think the latest popular sound mods are larger files and the need to play so many incoming artillery files at once may cause a strain on the CPU. Perhaps drop the sound mods for this one.

I don't think it's the campaign file for a number of reasons:

- It's been out for years now with over 1,000 downloads and only a handful of people have reported the issue. The upgrade to v4 of the engine also didn't break it.

- The first "Mission 0" (The recce) and "Mission 1" (this one) don't have a large connection that would break something in mission 1. The only real influence the recce has on the campaign is to warn the player of the minefields across most of his front and a chance to pick off a few of the German sentries before the main assault.

If it's any conciliation I've always wanted to tweak mission 4 of this campaign (which you play if you lose this one) to be a standalone scenario for H2H play. May take another look at that for you.

Thanks so much for the insight, Ithikial.  We (Stonecutter and I) both have the vehicle pack.  I have a modern iMac which can play anything, so that is not it.  You may have something though, with your comment about the sound mods. We are both using the largest of sound mod files, so I think we will experiment and disable them and try again.

Cheers!

9 hours ago, ChappyCanuck said:

Thanks so much for the insight, Ithikial.  We (Stonecutter and I) both have the vehicle pack.  I have a modern iMac which can play anything, so that is not it.  You may have something though, with your comment about the sound mods. We are both using the largest of sound mod files, so I think we will experiment and disable them and try again.

Cheers!

Please keep me informed. @Warts 'n' all - can you take a look at the posts above, did you hit any troubles likes this when you played the campaign last year?

Yes, I did. To begin with I had the same problem with the game crashing as soon as I hit the little red button. And I tried the things that Stonecutter described with the same crashing. I left the campaign and went off and played others.  When I gave it another whirl some months later it worked fine, sadly I can't offer any explanation for the difference as my settings for the game were still the same.

Just run a little test... I skipped through the recce mission by hitting Cease Fire, which means a "Total Defeat" and went onto the first big battle. I set up a naval bombardment and everything went fine. I have a mixture of guns and explosions mods but they are quite old. Sorry I can't shed any more light.

• 2 months later...

I'm goning to take a crack at this campaign, looks interessting.

I have 2 questions so far.

1. First mission? SPOILER... I followed the instructions but didn't find anyting except the minefield. I don't think I understood the goal of that mission. Also does the "open up" command on bren carriers make them spot better?

2. Second mission. I assume that I'm supposed to setup the artillery before I hit the go-button? But if I do that I can make the size of the cirkels unlimited. What radius am I allowed to set? :)

40 minutes ago, Swant said:

I'm goning to take a crack at this campaign, looks interessting.

I have 2 questions so far.

1. First mission? SPOILER... I followed the instructions but didn't find anyting except the minefield. I don't think I understood the goal of that mission. Also does the "open up" command on bren carriers make them spot better?

2. Second mission. I assume that I'm supposed to setup the artillery before I hit the go-button? But if I do that I can make the size of the cirkels unlimited. What radius am I allowed to set? :)

<--- Campaign author. :)

Yeah mission 1 is just a simple test to see if you'll know about the minefields or not in Mission 2. It's a gentle ease you into the campaign type of mission.

Mission 2. Yes they are meant to be plotted during deployment. Just try to replicate as displayed on the Tactical Map in the briefing - doesn't have to precise. There should be quite a bit of overlap between the fire missions. This is all to display the final stage of the creeping carpet bombardment that occured as the Canadians crossed over a mily of wheat fields to reach the town. If you don't follow this fire mission plan, later missions may 'look' a little funny where I had to recreate the map but in a badly damaged state.

Enjoy and let us know how you got on. :D

• 1 year later...