What a sad bunch...

It's my turn to apologize. I just tried to

spare my fellow Germans the dubious "honor" of having the biggest nuisance on this forum among our ranks. I just should have put you

on /IGNORE. Sorry.

<hr>

Oh, a little subtility-test just for you:

ref: "werkimmanente Interpretation"

Compare this to the intention in your post.

<hr>

What a sad thread that will now get closed up by BTS because it went sour.

I see nothing offensive in the Schrodi post. I would translate it a little differnetly than Freyland has. "on your window sill stands a plastic Christmas tree and in your closet stands a naked white woman." and then the part ignored by everyone "happy celebration." I do not see how this can interpreted as an insult or any connection to anybodys wife. I wouldn't mind having a naked white woman in my closet for the holidays. smile.gif

Why are people so quick to take offense when none is meant?

This idea of a moral obligation to defend other posters seems strange to me. I think people will do this if they feel it is the correct thing to do. I do not think anyone is obligated to do this especially when the insult is imagined.

And where in the rules for this board is posting in German verboten?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>it is rather rude to post in German on this board, *especially* when Germans have so much to be humble about. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This statement is mean-spirited. Germans have much to be humble about, and humble we are. Americans have also much to be humble about but they are not. No nation is without guilt and yet no language is wrong.

Guest Captain Foobar

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>This statement is mean-spirited. Germans have much to be humble about, and humble we are. Americans have also much to be humble about but they are not. No nation is without guilt and yet no language is wrong. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is this really happenning??? Am I hallucinating??? Hey Mashedratzun, I don't know if your ignoring the end of my post, but my statement about Germans having much to be humble about was CLEARLY and OBVIOUSLY in jest. Don't go trying to misrepresent me as it is obvious to anyone that I was making a joke. You know, I think it would be best to close this thread BTS, as the title now fits more than ever.... What a sad bunch indeed.... frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>was CLEARLY and OBVIOUSLY in jest. Don't go trying to misrepresent me as it is obvious to anyone that I was making a joke. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How easy it is to misunderstand what the other writes. Two posts meant to be "in jest" and it grew to be a whole thread about misunderstanding. This happens over and over. This medium is often very poor for communicating humor.

Sorry, Foobar. I take back my statement about mean-spirited, but it was not obvious to me that it was in jest.

Guest Captain Foobar

no problem, I hate it when this sort of thing happens. I just want to get along w/ people here, and enjoy it. Didn't mean to get so bitchy.

Guest Big Time Software

For the love of... cripes, I haven't read this thread for several days because it started out so happy! Then when I saw it still kicking around I smelled trouble, and sure enough!

OK, since this thing has basically resolved itself, I am locking it up and writing it off as something that doesn't need more of anybody's attention.

People, please, please, please... if there is any doubt, any at all, about the intentions of a post (ESPECIALLY IF THE POSTER IS NOT A NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKER!!!) do not jump down his throat right away. Ask for clarification. This is now the second nasty thead this week that was all a big misunderstanding of intent.

Thanks,

Steve