Some Fortress Italy Christmas bones...

ChrisND

Over in the 2015 Christmas Bones thread I've posted some info on upcoming developments for Fortress Italy. Here's the thread and the relevant posts:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/121562-2015-christmas-bones/ 

6. The next Fortress Italy module is in the early stages of development, at this point primarily artwork by our 3D artist Cassio.

• This new module will push the timeline for the Italian front all the way from June 1944 to the end of the war in May 1945.
  • The main operations covered will be the race north following the capture of Rome, the fighting on the Gothic Line, and the Po Valley offensives in 1945.
  • The following services will be added: British Indian Army, South Africa, French Expeditionary Corps (including Moroccan Goumiers), and Waffen-SS. Of course, existing services will be filled out with all of the new formations that have been created for other Combat Mission titles since the last Fortress Italy module released: Gebirgsjäger units, Luftwaffe Field Divisions, flamethrower units, etc. All currently existing formations will be updated to 1945 TO&E. Also: US Mountain units. :)
  • 3D work has already been done on the following equipment for the module: Sherman III Kangaroo, Churchill NA75, Sherman IC Firefly Hybrid, StuG IV, M1917 Enfield rifle, M1935 and M1982 French pistols, FN/29 French LMG, Gewehr 33/40(t) rifle, T32 37mm AT gun, and the GebG 36 75mm mountain gun. These are just the start of the work on new equipment.
  • The module will also incorporate all of the work done on the Combat Mission engine to date since since Gustav Line launched... that's a LOT of stuff to add to Italy. Off the top of my head, that includes features, units, and equipment from: Engine v3.0, Red Thunder, CMBN Vehicle Pack, CMBN Market Garden, and Final Blitzkrieg.

Fun PRE-ALPHA image of a new soldier for the Fortress Italy module:

LDtINoD.jpg

Our current plan for filling out Fortress Italy is the following. NOTE THAT THIS IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE. Nothing here is laid in stone yet.

• Gothic Line Module (that won't be the actual name for it) that pushes the timeline to the end of the war. Details on it are already present in the first post. Basically this module pushes the timeline to the end, and rounds out missing Commonwealth and German forces.
  • An Italian Forces Pack that adds a ton of Post-Armistice Italian forces to the Allies and Axis sides. Italian partisans, captured Italian equipment in use by Germans, actual Italian military forces operating under Allied and Axis sides, the works. This would be a pretty big Pack that will completely revolve around the Italians. I'm personally super excited for this pack, it will be a lot of fun to make and play.
  • An Elite Forces Pack that includes such things as Commandos and 1st Special Service Force. This would be a pretty small Pack, and may just get rolled into something else. Details are murky at this point.
Edited by ChrisND

Wow, when did the T32 come into use? I know the Italian and Elite forces pack will be some time down the road but I agree they're an exciting prospect. Any other elite units you can think of? There's Skorzeny's group but I think they were ad hoc and wouldn't fit into what Combat Mission does anyway.

Awhile ago I had located some solid info on T32 and sent it to Chris but I've forgotten most of the details now. I believe it was originally designed as a jungle gun circa 1942 and served in some numbers in the Pacific. 10th Mtn Div also got a batch as a mule(s)-transportable mountain gun. The gun could handle US 37mm AT gun HE and canister ammo. There was a lightened version named the T33 in development at war's end which got cancelled. What else can I find...

2007_048_102_1_590x590_marked.jpg

Awhile ago I had located some solid info on T32 and sent it to Chris but I've forgotten most of the details now. I believe it was originally designed as a jungle gun circa 1942 and served in some numbers in the Pacific. 10th Mtn Div also got a batch as a mule(s)-transportable mountain gun. The gun could handle US 37mm AT gun HE and canister ammo. There was a lightened version named the T33 in development at war's end which got cancelled. What else can I find...

2007_048_102_1_590x590_marked.jpg

Very cool photo MikeyD ? Lends new meaning to "Packing Heat":D (Photo Logo - National WWII Museum is very well done for those who have not been there)

This new Fortress Italy module is going to be a treasure of pleasure of such a wide range of forces and equipment.

Just want to say thanks for the great info! I'm personally a big fan of the CMFI game and current module. Its probably my most played CM game. Not sure why, but there is something about the Sicily campaign that fascinates me. All of the units and equipment involved and the setting itself. I also think that the QB maps for CMFI+GL are very well made. They feel more real to me and a bit less gameplay based in their design decisions.  

Anyways thanks again for the exciting news! I'm really looking forward to the upcoming installments. Merry Christmas and happy New Year!

It's great to hear there are plans for CMFI even beyond the "Gothic Line" module. This shows BFC is committed to the Family even though judging by post count per month it's the least popular. I have heard though that new content tempts new players into trying a game so maybe it's just good business sense.

The 442nd Regimental Combat team might be an interesting addition to an Elite Forces pack, but I wonder if the organization was any different from a standard US infantry regiment? If there is no significant difference it should be possible to simulate them right now with a few special graphic mods and status settings.  

I modified EZ's uniform mod for the 92nd ID and 442nd RCT from v1 to v2 several years ago before CMFI came out.  It was uploaded as a CMBN mod  to the BFC repository several years ago but I don't see it there anymore.  It works in CMBN v2 and v3.11.  Feel free to download and test for CMFI.  It's a 43M rar file found at Dropbox URL below.  Just copy the "Unit" folder (i.e. "100th Bn", "2nd Rangers", "442nd RCT", or "92nd ID" to your CMFI/data/Z folder.  Ethnic faces (African American and Asian as appropriate) are in each unit's folder.  Uniforms and faces should appear as such in the game.

"ez & vein CMBN v2 US_distinct_infantry_uniform" URL = https://www.dropbox.com/s/diwixmubhz9q3ej/ez %26 vein CMBN v2 US_distinct_infantry_uniform.rar?dl=0

Please let everyone know if current BMP file names work in CMFI.  Ping me if questions.  Good luck and good gaming.

Over in the 2015 Christmas Bones thread I've posted some info on upcoming developments for Fortress Italy. Here's the thread and the relevant posts:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/121562-2015-christmas-bones/ 

Great CMFI modules and add-ons to look forward to!

Other features I'd really be happy about in a Gothic Line module (as a beginner-level map designer of sorts...):

- CMFI-GL foliage upgraded to a northern Italian climate, more lush and green.

- slopes, a Gothic Line module should be able to represent the historical battles fought on the steep inclines of the northern Apennines (Altuzzo, Monte Battaglia, etc.). Right now the map editor seems to be more suitable to flat land or smooth rises. It allows all types of slopes of course, but when you go over a certain gradient, the editor creates a terraced map that is impassible both for vehicles and infantry in many places (unless you build a road). In most cases it doesn't look right and prevents the representation of historical engagements.

- houses: a revamp for northern Italy. I know these things can be modded but I'd be surprised to see the same set of Sicilian modular houses in a Gothic Line module.

- churches and steeples: Right now the map editor only provides one type of church and one type of steeple. That might be okay for Holland but not Italy!!! I'd also add an array of monasteries and chapels to the editor if at all possible. They do form an essential part of the Italian landscape, whether in the north or in the south.

- roads: I'd be glad to see some sort of mountain footpath in dense forest (thinking of partisan warfare here). I'd also be happy to see a "switchback" tile added. That would be great for the mountain scenarios I expect to see in a Gothic Line module. Also, when drawing roads that are not at a right angle you are forced to draw zig-zagging lines. Any improvements here? Perhaps in CM 4.0?

- Italian partisans: great! My grandfather just gave a sigh of relief. He didn't really feel like turning on the left side... in his grave ;)

Great job!

@ChrisND 

I just wanted to throw an idea on the table.

If BFC has a very low probability to ever do "North Africa"...could you please consider to pack some "North Africa" flavored stuff in with that elite forces pack?

Maybe it helps you to flesh it up a bit?

I am trying to think of stuff that already exists in the CM world so to make it an easier decision for you. Like the short barreled 50mm PzIII from CMBN MG?

New stuff that might be lower production effort. British 2 pounder ATG? 

Thanks for your consideration of the idea.

@ChrisND 

I just wanted to throw an idea on the table.

If BFC has a very low probability to ever do "North Africa"...could you please consider to pack some "North Africa" flavored stuff in with that elite forces pack?

Maybe it helps you to flesh it up a bit?

I am trying to think of stuff that already exists in the CM world so to make it an easier decision for you. Like the short barreled 50mm PzIII from CMBN MG?

New stuff that might be lower production effort. British 2 pounder ATG? 

Thanks for your consideration of the idea.

II don't have any idea what the work load would be for the next module, but what might be a different consideration for this if BF really is not going to consider the earlier period is a desert pack. Something with a lighter load that would give the community the means to do some earlier stuff. 

I have no idea how they handle their projects. A desert pack would be a great idea. It is a chance for them to make some money for their effort but not have to wrestle with an entire normal module with QB maps, scenarios, campaigns, TOE research and changes/etc. As soon as they do that, then the due date goes out the window. Rightfully so.

• 4 weeks later...

I know the Moroccan Goumiers have unique uniforms. I'm guessing we'll have French nationals too, but if so would they already be in American uniforms or the "1940" issue?

P.S. by this I mean before June '44. As I remember much of the French forces in Italy were withdrawn for the invasion of South France after that.

Edited by Sequoia
P.S.